/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What to say when an animal/pet passes away

Anaqahif
02-11-2018, 04:12 AM
Assalamualaikum, everyone.

I have a question, and I hope if you are keen to answer it, please include the Hadith reference as well to further justify your answer.

A friend of mine recently mentioned that her cat passed away; I replied with Ina lila wailaihi rojiun. A friend of mine then informed me that I wasn't supposed to use that for when animals passed away, and it was supposed to be used for when humans passed away. He told me to search it on google to see why it was as such but I couldn't find many websites saying that we shouldn't and explaining why we shouldn't either.

This is my justification as to why I think it should be okay to use ina lila wailaihi rojiun to animals;

It means "We belong to Allah and to Him we shall return"
Hence, all animals, humans and everything created in existence was created by Allah, hence we ALL belong to Him, so when animals die, they will return to Allah as well. Hence, this is why "I" think it should be fine.

However, I am open to other opinions followed by further justification.

Thank you very much for your time.

Question: "Is it okay to use Ina Lila Wailaihirojiun when animals pass away? And why?"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
02-11-2018, 12:52 PM
That´s interesting question. I have thought same too but unfortunately I don´t know the answer. Hopely someone can answers.

Supernova
02-11-2018, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anaqahif
Assalamualaikum, everyone.

I have a question, and I hope if you are keen to answer it, please include the Hadith reference as well to further justify your answer.

A friend of mine recently mentioned that her cat passed away; I replied with Ina lila wailaihi rojiun. A friend of mine then informed me that I wasn't supposed to use that for when animals passed away, and it was supposed to be used for when humans passed away. He told me to search it on google to see why it was as such but I couldn't find many websites saying that we shouldn't and explaining why we shouldn't either.

This is my justification as to why I think it should be okay to use ina lila wailaihi rojiun to animals;

It means "We belong to Allah and to Him we shall return"
Hence, all animals, humans and everything created in existence was created by Allah, hence we ALL belong to Him, so when animals die, they will return to Allah as well. Hence, this is why "I" think it should be fine.

However, I am open to other opinions followed by further justification.

Thank you very much for your time.

Question: "Is it okay to use Ina Lila Wailaihirojiun when animals pass away? And why?"
Asalaamualaykum

There is a dire misconception to this issue. Most people think that one can only say it when someone passes away. The reality is you can say in ANY calamity or turmoil keeping the meaning in mind.

The meaning is subjective depending which way you look at it. Because the literal apparent meaning is very conducive to when one passes away, its not the only time one can say it.

Example: A persons house burns to the ground, one can even say that in this context, in the light of saying that a house is just a material object, that we should not get too attached to the world because in essence we have to leave this world, so the loss of this house is nothing much.

To use it in this context is not only correct but recommended because the reminder is stern and real.

Misbah-Abd
02-11-2018, 02:42 PM
https://islamqa.info/en/119652

https://islamqa.info/en/11437

Who takes the souls of animals and what is their fate? - islamqa.info
When animate beings other than humansnamely animals and birdsdiewhere do their souls go Does the Angel of death take themor what exactly happens to them...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zzz_
02-11-2018, 05:08 PM
wa alaikum as'salaam

Just to clear a few things.

When we kill an animal for consumption, what do we say? "Bismillah" not Ina lila wailaihi rojiun

As far as I know, there is no mention in any hadith or sunnah of saying (Ina lila wailaihi rajiun) over the passing of the animal. The animals have soul and they will be brought back on Judgement Day but then they will turn back to dust. The angel of Death is assigned over us to take our souls and take it back to Allah.

Say: ‘The angel of death, who is set over you, will take your souls, then you shall be brought back to your Lord.’” [as-Sajdah 32:11].

I don't think there is any evidence of saying such a phrase at the death of an animal. Therefore, I wouldn't make a sunnah out of it every time an animal dies. However, the phrase is not said only at death time. It is usually used when you hear someone died, or if you had a terrible lost (financial or personal). So if you were saying it in that sense, as of your personal loss of a dear pet/friend then I think it would be ok in that sense. In general, at loss of a life it would be ok too as a reminder that we will die too and return to our Lord and this world is only temporary.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.