/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Considerate Even in Death

azc
03-01-2018, 07:54 AM
During the final moments after ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was fatally stabbed, he sent his son ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) to the home of ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha). ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) instructed him thus, “Say to her that ‘Umar conveys salaam. Do not say that Ameerul Mumineen conveys salaam, as today I am no longer Ameerul Mumineen (as I am about to pass away). Tell her that ‘Umar bin Khattaab requests permission to be buried alongside his companions, (Rasulullah [sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam] and Abu Bakr [radhiyallahu ‘anhu]).”
(The area in which they were buried formed part of the home of ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) and thus belonged to her. Hence, ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) sought her permission to be buried there).
Following the instruction of his father, ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) proceeded to the home of ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) where he found her sitting and crying (over the loss that the Ummah would suffer through the demise of ‘Umar [radhiyallahu ‘anhu]). He conveyed the salaam of ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to her and then said, “‘Umar requests permission to be buried with his companions.” Hearing the request, ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) mentioned, “I was hoping to be buried there myself (beside Rasulullah [sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam], and Abu Bakr [radhiyallahu ‘anhu], her father). However, I will today give preference to ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) over myself.”
When ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) returned, and mentioned that ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) had granted permission for ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to be buried alongside Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then further instructed his son, ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) saying, “After I pass away, carry my body (for the burial). Then ask ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) again by saying, ‘‘Umar requests permission to be buried with his companions.’ If she again grants permission, then bury me there. If not, then bury me in the cemetery of the Muslims.”
(Saheeh Bukhaari #3700)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
03-01-2018, 05:46 PM
On the night that ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was stabbed, Miswar bin Makhramah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) came to see him. On entering, he found ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) covered with a sheet (and unconscious). Miswar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) asked those present, “How is he?” They replied, “He is as you can see (unconscious).”

Miswar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thus advised them, “Wake him up by calling him for salaah, as there is nothing that you can awaken him for that is more urgent and important to him than salaah.”

Accepting this suggestion, they called out, “Salaah, O Ameerul Mu-mineen!” As soon as they did this, ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) awoke and exclaimed, “Yes! By Allah! There is no share in Islam for the one who neglects salaah!” ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thereafter performed his salaah while blood flowed from his wound.

(Tabraani – Majma‘uz Zawaaid #1659)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.