/* */

PDA

View Full Version : It is permissible to look at the picture of a deceased person?

Nitro Zeus
03-03-2018, 08:44 PM
I’m asking this because, I heard from others saying that it is not permissible because the person from the grave will be tormented. I want to know what is the main reasons for why the deceased person will be tormented if a person looks at his picture? I can’t find any reason for it. Is there a verse or a Hadith that says it is not permissible for one to look at the picture of a deceased person?

Out of curiosity

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
03-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The deceased is tormented in his grave because of the lamentations (wailing) over him.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

According to this hadith only wailing/lamentation is prohibited...

I have not read any hadith which prohibits seeing the picture of deceased.

crimsontide06
03-03-2018, 09:50 PM
I may be wrong but I doubt there is a specific hadith or verse about it since the idea of pictures of "actual people" did not exist or was thought of by anyone in the middle east at that time.

Picture making (drawing pictures of animals, humans) was made haram, but that's based upon the time...when people actually would worship or venerate the picture.

Today we see this; Kermit the frog for example...became bigger than "just a cartoon for kids".

Nitro Zeus
03-03-2018, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
I may be wrong but I doubt there is a specific hadith or verse about it since the idea of pictures of "actual people" did not exist or was thought of by anyone in the middle east at that time.

Picture making (drawing pictures of animals, humans) was made haram, but that's based upon the time...when people actually would worship or venerate the picture.

Today we see this; Kermit the frog for example...became bigger than "just a cartoon for kids".
Well, it wasn’t about venerating the images, it’s about copying God, that’s why God prohibited and declared a majors sin to make any kind of animated images

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Alamgir
03-03-2018, 11:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06

Asalamu Alaikum

No, drawing pictures always has been and always will be haram, unless they are made by children or are needed for a crucial purpose, e.g police draw sketches of criminals based on the victims description.

crimsontide06
03-04-2018, 12:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
Well, it wasn’t about venerating the images, it’s about copying God, that’s why God prohibited and declared a majors sin to make any kind of animated images
I see what you mean; would pictures taken with a camera of actual people/animals be considered "copying"? You aren't "making" a new image(like a character that doesn't exist) you are capturing a image of a person or animal as it was when the picture was snapped.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.