/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does Islam say about judging others?

99sobi
03-07-2018, 08:57 PM
:sl:

What does Islam say about judging other people? Particularly other Muslims, for example: saying that another Muslim is not a good Muslim because they do not have a beard, or they do not wear the hijab, or because you don't see them in the masjid; what does Islam say about these negative, hurtful assumptions that many Muslims (particularly those who consider themselves to be very religious) inadvertently make?

I'm asking this because I recently got a comment from a family member ("You don't even pray/go to the mosque"), and it made me very annoyed because they're only judging me based on the outward sign of faith; it could be that I do ten times more worship than they do, except I do it in private where it's between me and Allah only. I did not argue or say anything to this family member, because I realised it would be better to keep quiet - I don't need to prove myself to this person, I only need to prove myself to Allah.

Do others agree with me / have you went through similar issues?

Jazakallahu Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Misbah-Abd
03-07-2018, 10:46 PM
When Umar r.a. was caliph he said that during the time of the Prophet s.a.a.w. revelation would come down and expose people and what was in their hearts, mostly the hypocrites. But he said, now the revelation has ceased and we are going to go by what we see from people, i.e. their actions. If what we see is Islam then we will accept and if what we see is otherwise then we will know. You see, Iman is belief in heart, the testification of the tongue and the action of the limbs. And all three are required according to the Ahlus Sunnah wa Jamaah. So your type of actions will show the condition of the heart.

Al-Aajurri(may Allah have mercy on him) said:
You should understand – may Allah have mercy on us and you – that the view of the Muslim scholars is that faith is obligatory for all people, and it consists of belief in the heart, affirmation on the tongue, and physical actions (righteous deeds).
Moreover, you should understand that having knowledge and belief in the heart is not sufficient unless it is accompanied by verbal affirmation of faith, and knowledge in the heart and verbal affirmation are not valid unless they are accompanied by physical action (righteous deeds). Once a person combines these three characteristics, then he is a believer. This is indicated by the Qur’an and Sunnah, and the views of the Muslim scholars.
Endquote from ash-Sharee‘ah (2/116).

Zzz_
03-08-2018, 03:01 AM
:wsalam:

I agree with you. While Allah does command us to enjoin good and forbid evil, it doesn't mean we call out Muslims on somethings they don't do in a demeaning way. Usually the ignorant ones who don't follow Islam all that well call you out saying 'if you're so religious then why don't you do this or that', trying to justify their own lack of adherence.

Only Allah knows how much one is struggling and striving and it's no one's place to judge them in the manner that is negative and hurtful. Rather if one is sincere, their intentions and manner of advice should reflect that.

A real religious person wouldn't say such things and would have wisdom and humility enough to know better. Anyone who considers themselves to be very religious and say such things still have a lot to learn.

MazharShafiq
03-08-2018, 09:29 AM
exactly

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.