/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is acting haram

Nahsam ahammed
03-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters
I have a doubt about acting
Is it permissible in islam?
I read some comments that it is permissible only if i support islam. I dont know that if it is true. I put videos in youtube. Mainly it will be comedy videos or vines is it haram

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
03-22-2018, 01:04 AM
I never ponder over such issues.

JustTime
03-22-2018, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nahsam ahammed
Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters
I have a doubt about acting
Is it permissible in islam?
I read some comments that it is permissible only if i support islam. I dont know that if it is true. I put videos in youtube. Mainly it will be comedy videos or vines is it haram
It is haram just avoid it

ChosenTCO
03-22-2018, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JustTime
Proof/Daleel?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
03-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Why do we consider every issue as haram devoid of any evidence...?

JustTime
03-22-2018, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Why do we consider every issue as haram devoid of any evidence...?
It is a Haram profession just the nature of it is emulating disbelievers which the Prophet (SAAWS) prohibited and if there is excessive mixing of the genders it also becomes Haram and so on, and this concept of "to promote Islam" is wrong that is not proper Dawah.

Misbah-Abd
03-22-2018, 09:15 PM
https://islamqa.info/en/10836

Ruling on plays and skits for the purpose of da’wah - islamqa.info
I would like to know the ruling for skits/dramas/plays for children/teenagers with Islamic content like ayahs from Quranquotations from Hadithetc...- I have rea...

azc
03-23-2018, 05:24 AM
It is a Haram profession just the nature of it is emulating disbelievers which the Prophet (SAAWS) prohibited and if there is excessive mixing of the genders it also becomes Haram and so on, and this concept of "to promote Islam" is wrong that is not proper Dawah.
''Man tashabbaha bi qawmihi fa huwa minhum'' pertains to emulation of kuffar's religious customs/way of life whereas acting has nothing to do with religion of kuffar.

However, music, free mixing etc may be counted as the genuine reasons for prohibition of movies etc, but acting per se can't be proven as haram.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by Misbah-Abd

Ruling on plays and skits for the purpose of da’wah - islamqa.info
I would like to know the ruling for skits/dramas/plays for children/teenagers with Islamic content like ayahs from Quranquotations from Hadithetc...- I have rea...
According to this fatwa acting in itself is not haram provided that some guidelines as mentioned therein are taken care of.

CalmPassenger
03-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Nothing is haram until you are outside the circle (islam). Stay inside the circle and you will be safe. Every profession has positive and negative sides. So please ignore such kind of Fatwas. (Its haram). No its not haram. We make islamic documentaries and movies. So we use music. So is it haram? Not at all. its the essence same as when we cook food and we use different ingredients to make it tasteful. I personally studied Acting. Its really tough thing to do. You have to forget about yourself and think about a specific person. How you are going to do that? Just think. In next scene you have to cry. How you gona cry? You will think something sad story from ur past. To give a realism to ur acting. After that how you gona forget that moment(How to relax and get back to your real character)? Inshort, Acting is a very professional and tough job to do. Its really tough job. But i am really shocked the way people give fatwa straight away that its haram (without any proof). So do a research, What is acting? What, When, Why and etc... Ask and research. Good wishes

azc
03-23-2018, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CalmPassenger
Nothing is haram until you are outside the circle (islam). Stay inside the circle and you will be safe. Every profession has positive and negative sides. So please ignore such kind of Fatwas. (Its haram). No its not haram. We make islamic documentaries and movies. So we use music. So is it haram? Not at all. its the essence same as when we cook food and we use different ingredients to make it tasteful. I personally studied Acting. Its really tough thing to do. You have to forget about yourself and think about a specific person. How you are going to do that? Just think. In next scene you have to cry. How you gona cry? You will think something sad story from ur past. To give a realism to ur acting. After that how you gona forget that moment(How to relax and get back to your real character)? Inshort, Acting is a very professional and tough job to do. Its really tough job. But i am really shocked the way people give fatwa straight away that its haram (without any proof). So do a research, What is acting? What, When, Why and etc... Ask and research. Good wishes
It's your profession, so I've no right to go against you. Music is an essential part of movies, I agree but music isn't halal in Islam, is a fact.

Also sometimes I listen music but I never think it's halal in Islam

cinnamonrolls1
03-23-2018, 06:58 PM
I would think it depends on thr content of the play etc. We need to stop putting things in a haram/ halal binary, things are a lot more nuanced than that

Zzz_
03-23-2018, 07:31 PM
In general most things are halal unless specifically mentioned of being haram. And then from those that are halal in general, if any aspect of it being done contradicts Islam then it could become haram. Such as acting, in general it would be halal in the context of Islam so long as Islamic teaching is applied. But if its acting that involves haram elements then that thing which was halal becomes haram.

For example, in the US in early days of video broadcasting, an actor husband and wife would sleep in different beds on the screen (very halal). Now, they are showing full blown nudity of infidelity and zina scenes. And there's more nudity on tv shows these days then there is in the movies.

ChosenTCO
03-23-2018, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zzz_
In general most things are halal unless specifically mentioned of being haram. And then from those that are halal in general, if any aspect of it being done contradicts Islam then it could become haram. Such as acting, in general it would be halal in the context of Islam so long as Islamic teaching is applied. But if its acting that involves haram elements then that thing which was halal becomes haram.

For example, in the US in early days of video broadcasting, an actor husband and wife would sleep in different beds on the screen (very halal). Now, they are showing full blown nudity of infidelity and zina scenes. And there's more nudity on tv shows these days then there is in the movies.
And more in real life in western cities than TV shows ... honestly disgusting
Sometimes i think its just better to go live in the wilderness like cave men to avoid the haram than to live in cities where all these things happen :/

Zzz_
03-23-2018, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ChosenTCO
And more in real life in western cities than TV shows ... honestly disgusting
Sometimes i think its just better to go live in the wilderness like cave men to avoid the haram than to live in cities where all these things happen :/
There's a hadith stating one cannot go live in the jungle alone, away from public. The shayateen attacks him like the wolves attack a lone sheep. As for being in the city, we are commanded to 'enjoin good and forbid evil' otherwise when Allah's punishment comes it comes on everybody because those didn't do wrong also didn't speak up about it. Lastly, there some places better than other so naturally we should pick more islamically acceptable environments then the reverse.

CalmPassenger
03-23-2018, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
It's your profession, so I've no right to go against you. Music is an essential part of movies, I agree but music isn't halal in Islam, is a fact.

Also sometimes I listen music but I never think it's halal in Islam

ahahaha Well My senior were working on some documentary about Syria and yemen. They add music to give more impact. So people feel the real pain. There was a guy he start arguing that dont put music. Its haram. Long story short. Without music you dont get that feel. Its empty. Without colors and emotions. Music actually create those "Fill in the blanks" (Emotions inside you). Unfortunately, Every one becomes ulema (scholar) and impose their own fatwa. This is haraam, This is kafir, Shirk, He will go to hell and etc. Its unfair to judge while we have a judgement day. Then Allah will decide who is who and what is what. So calm down and try your best to follow Islam (circle). Dear acting is not my profession. Alhamdulillah i got my own business. But i love to learn things, I did a lot of things. But we should respect everyone profession. Good wishes.

Zzz_
03-23-2018, 08:53 PM
. Unfortunately, Every one becomes ulema (scholar) and impose their own fatwa. This is haraam, This is kafir, Shirk, He will go to hell and etc. Its unfair to judge while we have a judgement day. Then Allah will decide who is who and what is what.
Allah commands us to enjoin good and forbid evil. So reminding your brother what is halal and haram is not becoming scholar, rather one is doing what is commanded of them. I won't get into the details of having knowledge first or proper way of doing that but leave it at that.

Also , that whole "don't judge me" line is getting old too. As mufti menk says,

You Say, 'Brother Your Not Supposed To Go To The Nightclub',

'Hey Stop Judging Me!'

What Are You Talking About, We Are Just Advising You.

So Don't Use The Term 'Do Not Judge Me' In Order To Run Away From Advice "

[Mufti Ismail Menk]

And Allah says,

ChosenTCO
03-23-2018, 10:35 PM
There's a hadith stating one cannot go live in the jungle alone, away from public. The shayateen attacks him like the wolves attack a lone sheep. As for being in the city, we are commanded to 'enjoin good and forbid evil' otherwise when Allah's punishment comes it comes on everybody because those didn't do wrong also didn't speak up about it. Lastly, there some places better than other so naturally we should pick more islamically acceptable environments then the reverse.
Attacks him how? By provoking him towards the haram? What haram is there to do when u have cut off all possibilities of haram things that would otherwise surround you in all cities (islamic or non islamic).
My guess is that this hadith applies to people back then, not in this era. In this era, the muslim person who passes next to a grave wishes that he would be in the place of the deceased from the extent of all the fitnas in this world today. I say this out of experience and im only in my 20s

If we stay in arab or islamic countries, they shun us away and have favoritism towards western nationalities be these people over here think that their Gods some how. They give all the good jobs and benefits to those who are non arabs and demote their brothers to the lowest of ranks. Trust me im a first hand witness of this.
If we go to western countries at least we get a proper chance at making a living for ourselves without feeling segregated or belittle because of our nationalities. At least the network of brother hood over there is much stronger than it is here. But it just has to come with all the negatives of the western mindset and libiration that you see all over the place in these areas.
If you go to the wilderness and live by yourself ... still haram somehow. So what is the person suppose to do?

Trust me, If we want to expose ourselves to the least amount of fitna possible, moving away from civilization is our best option.

Zzz_
03-23-2018, 11:00 PM
I didn't say it's haram bro. I just said there is a hadith that states one should not abandon civilization and go live in the wilderness, for one who is lone is an easy prey to the shaytan. And Islam is all about community and it's contrary to that when you become and isolationist. At the same time there is also another hadith that states one can go live off in isolation in the mountains when one can no longer safe guard their eman.

interesting read on that.
https://islamreigns.wordpress.com/20...the-mountains/

Misbah-Abd
03-23-2018, 11:12 PM
Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Soon there will come a time when the best wealth a Muslim will have will be sheep which he will take to the mountaintops and places where rain falls, fleeing for the sake of his religious commitment from tribulation.” And Muslim narrated a similar hadeeth in his Saheeh (1888), also from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him), which says that a man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “Which of the people is best?” He said, “A man who strives in jihad for the sake of Allaah with his wealth and his self.” He asked, “Then who?” He said, “A believer in a mountain pass who worships Allaah and leaves the people alone.”

The word sha’af [in the second hadeeth] means a mountaintop. The word shi’b [in the first hadeeth] means a gap or pass between two mountains. Al- Nawawi said in Sharh Saheeh Muslim (13/34): “This does not mean the mountain pass itself, rather what is referred to is being alone and isolating oneself. A mountain pass is mentioned as a metaphor because it is usually devoid of people.”

The hadeeth indicates that it is preferable to isolate oneself from people and not mix with them in cases where a Muslim fears for his religious commitment because of widespread tribulation, where if he mixes with people he cannot be sure that his religious commitment will be safe and that he will not apostatize or deviate from the truth, or fall into shirk or abandon the basic principles and pillars of Islam, and so on. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in al-Fath (13/42): “This report indicates that isolation is preferable in the case of one who fears for his religious commitment.”

https://islamqa.info/en/13835

rafhelp
03-24-2018, 03:08 AM
If acting is haram, then telling stories is haram, if telling stories is haram then some will say the quran is filled with stories (no offence...just explaining...)

acting is the process of portraying a story so it is believable. You tell your kids stories all the time, jack and the beanstalk, tom and jerry, tinky winky. Your kids watch carttons.

You goto an islamic speech/show the people on stage or talking have rehearsed it all, all the lines, memorised alot and then telling in a way which mostly will not be normal as in it will be 'acting' in way to put the message across.

So acting is like internet and tv. internet and tv are not haram but there is alot of crap on their and lot of haram but you choose what to watch etc... Same with acting lots of bad stories, just be part of good ones, just play roles that have good intentions and meaning, dont play roles you arent happy with, if you are playing the role of a terrorist in a drama trying to show the harm terrorism does then thats a positive message you are trying to help put across.

if you are playing a role of a pimp in a gangland film where the bad guys are made to look like heroes then you are helping put across a bad message so dont.

AabiruSabeel
03-24-2018, 03:40 AM
For example, in the US in early days of video broadcasting, an actor husband and wife would sleep in different beds on the screen (very halal).
Check this again. As far as I remember, I've read that it is not permitted to act the role of husband and wife, no matter how far you stay from her.

Zzz_
03-24-2018, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Check this again. As far as I remember, I've read that it is not permitted to act the role of husband and wife, no matter how far you stay from her.
I was talking in the context of physical contact. otherwise,

This is one of the issues concerning which the scholars differed; some of them forbid it altogether and some of them permit it, but within the guidelines of sharee’ah. Before we discuss the different views on this matter, we should point out that there is no dispute at all concerning the kind of acting which involves promiscuity and the mixing of men and women, and other kinds of evil actions, which is well-known on the screen. There is no dispute among the scholars concerning the prohibition of such acting.

One should avoid playing the role of evil or immoral characters, or playing the role of the imaams or prominent scholars of the ummah, lest that lead to an undermining of their status.

Some of the contemporary scholars said that acting is forbidden altogether; others said that it is permitted so long as it meets certain conditions.

JustTime
03-28-2018, 01:56 AM
Islamic documentaries and movies with music are Haram, you're speaking either from ignorance or emotion or both.

- - - Updated - - -

"Very Halal" more like very Haram

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.