/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who determines the mahr of a revert?

peacefulone
03-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Salam alaykum,
How can a mahr be determined fairly if a revert is marrying for the first time and just meeting her gaurdian at the wedding?
It is said that the gaurdian becomes the officiater of the marriage. So how is he going to pick a fair mahr if he doesn't know her.
Is there a typical or standard value of mahr that he sahabah used to typically set for woman.
I really want to know this. Because with out it seems very randomly and dangerous to leave to the discretion of a stranger.

- - - Updated - - -

i mean the officiater becomes the gaurdian****

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cinnamonrolls1
03-29-2018, 05:17 PM
Hmm. Maybe email a shaikh on this, or a scholar etc. I know the mahr wasnt extravagant at the time of the sahaba.

Supernova
03-29-2018, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lgrant
Salam alaykum,
How can a mahr be determined fairly if a revert is marrying for the first time and just meeting her gaurdian at the wedding?
It is said that the gaurdian becomes the officiater of the marriage. So how is he going to pick a fair mahr if he doesn't know her.
Is there a typical or standard value of mahr that he sahabah used to typically set for woman.
I really want to know this. Because with out it seems very randomly and dangerous to leave to the discretion of a stranger.

- - - Updated - - -

i mean the officiater becomes the gaurdian****
Asalaamualaykum:

According to the Hanafi Fiqh, the Mahr is an agreed value between prospective, husband and wife.

As a guideline : There exist two benchmarks to work upon:

Mahr e Fathimi and Minimum Mahr: These values are calculated in each country (Area) for their respective currency.

Should the couple have another value in mind that will be acceptable but it must exceed the Minimum Mahr.

azc
03-29-2018, 06:25 PM
http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa-birmingham/19717

General rules on Mahr and the value of Mahr Fatimi - IslamQA
General rules on Mahr and the value of Mahr Fatimi In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful. Answer The mahr is one of the rights of the wife and the husband gives it at the time of the marriage ceremony. Allah (SWA) in the Holy Quran has said “And give the women their dower in good cheer”.-...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zzz_
03-30-2018, 03:24 AM
wa'alaikum as'salaam,

It is something you can discuss with your guardian beforehand. Otherwise...

Deciding the amount of the dowry is to be left to the woman and her guardian. If the woman disagrees with her guardian about the amount of the dowry, then what appears to be the case from the words of the scholars is that they should take as a reference the dowry of a woman of similar standing. If she agrees to the dowry of a woman of similar standing, but he wants more than that, then no attention should be paid to his wishes. If he is the one who wants a dowry like that of a woman of similar standing, but she wants less than that, then what matters is his view.

https://islamqa.info/en/224876

If the marriage contract was done without any mention of the mahr, the marriage contract is valid and the wife is entitled to a mahr like that of her peers.

Marriage without stating the mahr is of two types. The first is that in which the mahr is not mentioned at all, and the man gives his daughter in marriage without any mahr, so he says: I give you my daughter in marriage, and the suitor says: I accept – without mentioning any mahr, as happened in your case.

The second type is that in which the mahr is mentioned without specifying its amount, such as if the suitor says to the wali: I will give you what you want of the mahr, or the wali says to the suitor: Give whatever you see fit, and so on.

The wife is to be given a mahr like that of her peers in both cases.

The mahr of her peers is to be defined by the qaadi (judge), so as to avoid conflict. But if they agree on something without referring to the qaadi, there is nothing wrong with that, because they have the right to do so.

https://islamqa.info/en/111127

Barbarahajar
04-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Imam from masjid

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.