/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it Permissible to lie in an essay?

FadeTortoise
04-09-2018, 02:41 AM
So basically in Canada we have this thing called the OSSLT.Its a massive english exam and you must pass it. Some of the questions will make you write essays and paragraphs. Is it permissible to make up facts,and lie about such and such issues and personal preference to pick the option with the most info.Most teachers are fine with that and have actually in some way promoted this.
~Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
04-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Plz talk to local scholar...

cinnamonrolls1
04-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Well, it doesnt really decieve anyone or cause harm. My teacher tells us to do similar things in my french class, eg whwn it says something like write about my favourite team- which i dont have , i would just pick one and write abt it. Id ask a scholar though tbh

MazharShafiq
04-09-2018, 03:17 PM
To what extent is telling a lie a bad thing? In English we call little lies “white lies.” These are lies that we tell to the people we love because we do not want to hurt their feelings. For example, you might not like your friend’s new shirt, but if your friend asks you your opinion, you might lie and tell your friend that you love their new purchase. Or you might not like your boss’s new idea, but you have to respect your boss, so you lie and say that you love the new proposal.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mahir Adnan
04-09-2018, 06:44 PM
I live in subcontinent. I support brother mazharshafiq. but I think, you should not change the name of your parents in any paragraph

Zzz_
04-11-2018, 01:52 AM
Often times we are told to write about a subject in education and often times it may not apply to us. Teachers have told us to either write about something else that does apply/relate to us or make it up. It isn't a lie that you are saying this did happen, rather you are saying if this was the case then this is how it would be for me.

For example, teacher says write what you like about your favorite sports team. But you don't have one? then the teacher will say either pick any team and pretend that's your favorite team or if you had a favorite team then what would you like about them?

The difference between the above and what you are saying is that you are skipping the 'ask a teacher' part and going to pretend if you were in that situation then how would it be for you.

also, check out : https://islamqa.info/en/163469

format_quote Originally Posted by MazharShafiq
To what extent is telling a lie a bad thing? In English we call little lies “white lies.” These are lies that we tell to the people we love because we do not want to hurt their feelings. For example, you might not like your friend’s new shirt, but if your friend asks you your opinion, you might lie and tell your friend that you love their new purchase. Or you might not like your boss’s new idea, but you have to respect your boss, so you lie and say that you love the new proposal.
White lies are still lies. I would rather have a friend be honest and tell me if i look fat in a shirt then lie and say it looks good. And you respect you boss by being honest about what you think rather then playing nice. Unless your boss is immature and will take offense to anyone disagreeing with him then i wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.