/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How Sawaad bin Qaarib entered Islam

azc
04-12-2018, 05:27 PM
In the report given by Imam Baihaqi rh in his Hadith collection that Sayyidina ‘Umar (r) was giving the Jumu`ah khutba on the minbar of the Prophet of Allah (saw) when he said, “is Sawaad bin Qaarib present?” and no one answered him. The following year [at the same time of year] Sayyidina `Umar (r) was giving the khutba and asked “is Sawaad bin Qaarib present?” and a man said “what do you want of Sawad bin Qaarib?” Sayyidina ‘Umar (r) said, “tell the people of how your beginning Islam.”

Hadrat Sawaad bin Qaarib stated:

“In the period of ignorance or pre-Islamic period, I used to go to India, and I had friendship with a jinn who used to give me information about the future events which I used to tell the people. Many people had become my devotees and offered me the presents as information by him always proved true. One day, he came and awakened me when I was asleep and said: ‘Get up and be conscious. If you possess some sense, know that a Prophet has come from the descendants of Lu`ay bin Ghalib.’ Then, the jinn recited a few verses which meant:

“I was impresssed by the jinn and their quest,
How they saddled up their camels,
And swept towards Mecca, seeking guidance,
The truthful jinni is not as the untruthful one,
So travel to the cream of Banu Hashim,
Their fronts are not like their hindquarters.“

Sawaad bin Qaarib stated that, after hearing these couplets, I remained restless throughout the night. The second night, also, that jinn came and awakened me and recited similar couplets to the first visit. The third night, also, this event took place. As the event happened for three nights continuously, the love of Islam settled in my heart and I reached Makkah for the Prophet (saw). As soon as the Prophet (saw) saw me, he said: “Welcome! O Sawaad bin Qaarib. I know what brings you here.” I submitted: “O Apostle of Allah! I have composed some couplets praising you. Please, first listen to these couplets.” Being permitted by the Prophet (saw) Sawaad recited his poem praising the Prophet (saw):

“My confidant from the jinn to me following repose and sleep,
and he was not a liar in my experience.
Three nights he came to me and every night his words were:

‘A Messenger has come to you from Lu`ay bin Ghalib’
So I raised up the ends of my izar and hastened,
Riding a fast camel across the desert,
And I testify that there is no lord besides Allah,
and that you are entrusted with the Unseen,
and that you are the last of the Messengers whose intercession
may be sought with Allah, O son of nobles and virtuous men,
So command me with what come to you from you Lord’s revelation,
Even if there be white hairs in what you say,
And be an intercessor on the Day when none can interecede,
When naught (else) will benefit Sawaad ibn Qaarib.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.