/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Peterson Chooses His Words Very, Very Carefully

The Bearded One
04-14-2018, 02:17 AM
https://blogofthebeardedone.wordpres...ery-carefully/

JORDAN PETERSON CHOOSES HIS WORDS VERY, VERY CAREFULLY | The Bearded One
In this glorious digital age in which we live in, all of us like to think of ourselves as philosophers and indeed as intellectuals. In a documentary I recently saw Nicola Roberts, former singer from the group Girls Aloud, said something rather simple yet deeply profound: In today’s society we all feel, especially with social…...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Silas
04-14-2018, 01:51 PM
It is difficult to find prominent "intellectuals" these days that one can trust, or that yield compelling insights.

One does not always have to agree with these people to find them interesting

Peterson's theory of truth is perhaps his most radical, and it can be difficult to wrap your head around.

This is how I understand it: there are empirical truths which exist in an abstract realm and who confirm their validity through the system in which they operate. 2 + 2 =4, the gravitational constant of the universe, the standard model of particle physics, etc.

But then there are truths which survive, and that have a direct impact on us as a species beyond the empirical. Now what does that mean? It means that the ultimate truths which we need to concern ourselves with are those which improve our condition and allow us evolve as individuals and a society--truths that are comprised of many things empirical, cultural, ideological, and practical. Truth and action are related in Peterson's theory--that which leads humanity astray and destroys us was not "true", because human beings have a relationship with the truth and must act upon it.

Obviously, there are some correlations with Islam here ...

On another note, are there intellectuals from the Middle-East that you recommend? (Iranian, etc.)? --we in the west don't get much exposure to this

Zzz_
04-14-2018, 03:31 PM
I've been watching YT clips last night about him and his opposition to the canada's bill c-16 which has become a law and is punishable by law if you don't use non-gender pronouns such as 'ze' or 'zir' and other made up nonsense to refer to transgenders. Sadly that same is coming to the US and will probably come to other western nations.

https://www.fairobserver.com/region/...te-news-51321/

Canada Faces Dissent Over Transgender Rights
A critic of gender-neutral pronouns is coming under fire in Canada....

Zafran
04-15-2018, 12:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silas
On another note, are there intellectuals from the Middle-East that you recommend? (Iranian, etc.)? --we in the west don't get much exposure to this
Not a fan of Peterson, hes ultimately a conservative (in the liberal paradigm) psychology professor who Got famous with his anti SJW opinions, Hes entirely secular and utilitarian. His reading of the bible shows this the most, Heavily influenced by Jung.

Hes refreshing only because the west is full of left wing thinkers that are just boring to listen to and nothing meaningful to say.

There are plenty of intellectuals or Muslim scholars like Abdul Hakim Murad, Hamza Yusuf, Sherman Jackson who of course talk withing the Islamic paradigm in the western world. Check them out - Had a Huge influence on me and my Journey in Islam.

side note - his view on Islam is just stupid but to be fair to him he did say he didn't know much and needed to learn more about.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Silas
04-15-2018, 03:36 AM
Peterson may be conservative to some degree, but I wouldn't classify him as right-wing or traditionalist. He is a still a product of the liberal university environment.

"radical" right-wing scholars would be guys like Tomislav Sunic, Guillame Faye, Alain de Benoist, etc.

Zafran
04-16-2018, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silas
"radical" right-wing scholars would be guys like Tomislav Sunic, Guillame Faye, Alain de Benoist, etc.
Never heard of these guys how right wing are they? - like racist right wing or conservative right wing?

Silas
04-16-2018, 01:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Never heard of these guys how right wing are they? - like racist right wing or conservative right wing?
I wouldn't say they are racist. Racism isn't something that is necessarily right-wing. The ruling party and government apparatus in Iran could certainly be termed "right-wing", but they are not racist.

Sunic, Faye, de Benoist are radical traditionalists, nationalists, and are generally suspicious of both Christianity and Islam. They are, generally speaking, anti-egalitarian.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!