/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Food - Gelatine

zz____
05-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Assalamualaikum,

Recently, I held an event for both Muslims and Non-Muslims. We catered some marshmallows, without looking at the ingredients when we were buying it. On the night itself when we have already given out the food, one of the committees mentioned that there's Gelatine from pork in the marshmallow. Since I was in charge, I had the choice between telling all of them or to remain silent.

I chose to remain silent. Now, I'm worried about the burden I have to carry.

Should I remain silent or make it known to all the Muslims from the event?

I know that it is my fault, and it is an accident. This matter was taken lightly but I pray that everything will be forgiven.

What is the hukm of this matter?

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supernova
05-15-2018, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zz____
Assalamualaikum,

Recently, I held an event for both Muslims and Non-Muslims. We catered some marshmallows, without looking at the ingredients when we were buying it. On the night itself when we have already given out the food, one of the committees mentioned that there's Gelatine from pork in the marshmallow. Since I was in charge, I had the choice between telling all of them or to remain silent.

I chose to remain silent. Now, I'm worried about the burden I have to carry.

Should I remain silent or make it known to all the Muslims from the event?

I know that it is my fault, and it is an accident. This matter was taken lightly but I pray that everything will be forgiven.

What is the hukm of this matter?

Thank you.
Asalaamualaykum:

Had it been a product that the congregation was never going to eat again - I would have advised you to make Istighfara and keep silent because you have learnt your lesson and avoid stirring up a hornets nest.

The problem is, however, that these Muslims (And those non-Muslims who dont eat pork) would now be under the impression that the product is Halaal. Unfortunately, it is possible that due to you entertaining and your provision that they get misled into thinking it is Halaal.

You have a responsibility to inform them of the product.

The problem is that if you tell them the full story that you had prior knowledge of it - It will very likely lead to great disunity and judgement to wards you.

You have two options:

a) Inform them that you have found out the product is Haraam and leave it there without exposing your prior knowledge of it. In that way, you will maintain the unity and inform all about the product. As long as you do this with the intent of maintaining unity - I suspect that it will be permissible to withhold that you had prior knowledge.

b) Come out clean and tell everyone the full story. You would achieve the information by the product part but it will possibly lead to a greater problem of disuniting the Muslim group.

Please double check Option a) with a Aalim/a but I am sure from my understanding the Unity between Muslims is a high priority and it might be a possible solution with the right intention.

IslamLife00
05-15-2018, 12:33 PM
wa 'alaykum salaam

Maybe this will help although it's about selling.

https://islamqa.info/en/40651

If not, you can ask the scholars on islamqa.info or other sites you can find.

Is it permissible to sell haraam things like pork to non-Muslims? - islamqa.info
I work in a seaport and serve ships that are passing through. Most of these ships are foreign and the people working on them are non-Muslims. The company owner ...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.