/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I have been fasting since beginning of ramadan in Canada but because of yesterday...

xboxisdead
05-23-2018, 06:35 PM
As salaam alaikum,

I have being fasting (Al-hamdolillah) since the beginning of Ramadaan until yesterday and because of what happened yesterday I had to break fasting today but I feel horrible :exhausted. Reason I broke it today because yesterday I had 10 attack of absent seizure. Since I was a little boy I have always had absent seizure and I never grew out of it and I had it before and after ramadaan all my life. But for a while it went away for a very long time. Ones I started fasting yesterday it became a major attack. I had like 5 to 6 episodes of absent seizure at work and another 5 to 6 episodes at home and during boss fair I had also absent seizure attacks occuring. My mom saw my attack of absent seizure and said you should not fast period because of health period and my twin brother who is becoming a doctor said that absent seizure causes oxygen deprivation of the brain and if it occurs so many times that part of the brain who is deprived of oxygen get damaged and it could worsen to me falling down on the floor and full blast shaking.

While today I broke fasting..I totally feel guilty for doing it and feel like I am a horrible Muslim or heartless or something like that. What advice do you guys have?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
05-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

May Allah grant you shifaa ameen.

Are you on any medications for your seizures?

xboxisdead
05-23-2018, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

May Allah grant you shifaa ameen.

Are you on any medications for your seizures?
Thank you for the awesome Dua'ah. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Talaa) raise you highest level of Jannah. Currently I have not being taking any medication because I have not done the MRI to determine what sort of medication to take. Reason being..I am ultra..psycho..claustrophobic in tied spaces. I enter extreme panic attack when I am inside the machine. Like panic of all panic attack. So I have not been treated and my twin brother who is becoming a doctor is pushing me to do MRI because he believes it could get worsen or he thinks I may have brain tumor or something that can be resolved if I went through the MRI. I told him I am going to do it but I want to do open MRI so I am going to save money for open MRI. I occasionally ones a while feel like someone is pushing my head inside my head so I always grab a table or something when I feel that pressure in my head and ones a while I get severe vertigo. My doctor said it is normal if it only happens like ones a year or twice a year, but I do know I can only sleep in one side in my bed and need to raise my head high or else I will have vertigo if I sleep in the other side or move my head on the bed I get dizzy. I am not so sure if this is related or not. However, if I do the MRI and get treatment I need to be drinking pills for 5 years at least and have to slowly slow down drinking pills if I need to stop or else I will be full ground shaking.

But until I do go through that treatment (today is the 1st day I am eating and drinking) did I do correct in stop fasting (I do not want to sound like ultra dramatic to convince you guys I did right..... no. Because I want to be a good Muslim and not hypcorite or trying to Autho'billah try to trick Allah because Allah can never be tricked. I am a Muslim and not kafir!)? If so, how much do I need to pay for the entire month to compensate for all the days I missed and can I also fast again later in the year where it is easier in Canada, BC than summer where maghrib prayer is earlier than 9:00 PM or 10:00 PM as it is now in summer? If I did wrong please tell me so I can resume fasting, thanks!

Also, last year when I was fasting I did fast the month and ones a while I had the attack but only yesterday was severe...like I had it coming and coming and coming so this is why my family is worried, especially since I did not have it for so long. When I try to do diet to lose weight I get the absent seizure...so food and seizure is linked heavily and sleep.

Thanks in advance.

HisServant
05-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Salaam,

Fasting is only incumbent upon you if you are able to do so. Maybe skip a few days until you feel better and try again. In the days missed focus on doing extra good deeds instead. (Dhikr, istighfar, Quran, duas) When you are able to fast again plan a good healthy breakfast and if unable Allah knows best, May He be merciful to your state. Ameen.

Have a read: https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/dai...asting-ramadan

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm♥Layth
05-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Asalaam Aleikum!

You should really look into what triggers your seizures. If fasting triggers them, it could be a blood sugar trigger perhaps. If your brain is being deprived of oxygen then that's risking your life really. Ask a sheikh about it. I hesitate to say "Oh you don't need to fast" and I also hesitate to say "You should continue your fasts" because you live in your body and Im certain you know what you are feeling.

Perhaps take your brother with you to speak to a learned person so they can advise you together and come up with a plan. You are NOT a horrible muslim!

- - - Updated - - -

Asalaam Aleikum!

You should really look into what triggers your seizures. If fasting triggers them, it could be a blood sugar trigger perhaps. If your brain is being deprived of oxygen then that's risking your life really. Ask a sheikh about it. I hesitate to say "Oh you don't need to fast" and I also hesitate to say "You should continue your fasts" because you live in your body and Im certain you know what you are feeling.

Perhaps take your brother with you to speak to a learned person so they can advise you together and come up with a plan. You are NOT a horrible muslim!

azc
05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by xboxisdead
Thank you for the awesome Dua'ah. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Talaa) raise you highest level of Jannah. Currently I have not being taking any medication because I have not done the MRI to determine what sort of medication to take. Reason being..I am ultra..psycho..claustrophobic in tied spaces. I enter extreme panic attack when I am inside the machine. Like panic of all panic attack. So I have not been treated and my twin brother who is becoming a doctor is pushing me to do MRI because he believes it could get worsen or he thinks I may have brain tumor or something that can be resolved if I went through the MRI. I told him I am going to do it but I want to do open MRI so I am going to save money for open MRI. I occasionally ones a while feel like someone is pushing my head inside my head so I always grab a table or something when I feel that pressure in my head and ones a while I get severe vertigo. My doctor said it is normal if it only happens like ones a year or twice a year, but I do know I can only sleep in one side in my bed and need to raise my head high or else I will have vertigo if I sleep in the other side or move my head on the bed I get dizzy. I am not so sure if this is related or not. However, if I do the MRI and get treatment I need to be drinking pills for 5 years at least and have to slowly slow down drinking pills if I need to stop or else I will be full ground shaking.

But until I do go through that treatment (today is the 1st day I am eating and drinking) did I do correct in stop fasting (I do not want to sound like ultra dramatic to convince you guys I did right..... no. Because I want to be a good Muslim and not hypcorite or trying to Autho'billah try to trick Allah because Allah can never be tricked. I am a Muslim and not kafir!)? If so, how much do I need to pay for the entire month to compensate for all the days I missed and can I also fast again later in the year where it is easier in Canada, BC than summer where maghrib prayer is earlier than 9:00 PM or 10:00 PM as it is now in summer? If I did wrong please tell me so I can resume fasting, thanks!

Also, last year when I was fasting I did fast the month and ones a while I had the attack but only yesterday was severe...like I had it coming and coming and coming so this is why my family is worried, especially since I did not have it for so long. When I try to do diet to lose weight I get the absent seizure...so food and seizure is linked heavily and sleep.

Thanks in advance.
May Allah swt grant you complete shifa. Ameen

You can make up missed fasts after this months.

xboxisdead
05-24-2018, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
May Allah swt grant you complete shifa. Ameen

You can make up missed fasts after this months.
Ameen. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Talaa) reward you highest level of Janna :D I feel miserable rick for not fasting and seeing great benefit of fasting and I am unable to do it. I know now for the past two days where I am eating I have zero absent seizure attack. Zero! I know because here in BC it hard because Maghrib does not appear until like almost 9:00 PM and it can go up to 10:00 PM here. So from 3:00 AM until 10:00 PM you do not eat or drink so it can easily get a tole on you. Lots of Muslims leave and go to middle east during ramadan time where the hours are easier there and there are more islam atmosphere than here, in addition to being with their family members and so on. Then they come back after eid and resume life. I would love to do that..but I have no family members there and I cannot quit work for a month and I have to help family members here. But I do not want to keep missing ramadaan each year either and do it later while every muslim and muslimmah are doing it. I hate that. I feel left out. So two days have passed. I am going to write down I have missed two days and then talk to my twin brother as he is a doctor and ask his advice if I can resume fasting ok or not.

Abz2000
05-24-2018, 06:58 PM
@xboxisdead

Have you been showing your submission to Allah by making up for them through charity so that it is not counted as a missed obligation?

Muhammad Asad[fasting] during a certain number of days. But whoever of you is ill, or on a journey, [shall fast instead for the same] number of other days; and [in such cases] it is incumbent upon those who can afford it to make sacrifice by feeding a needy person. And whoever does more good than he is bound to do does good unto himself thereby; for to fast is to do good unto yourselves - if you but knew it.

M. M. Pickthall(Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need - but whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know -

Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985)(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew.

xboxisdead
05-24-2018, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
@xboxisdead

Have you been showing your submission to Allah by making up for them through charity so that it is not counted as a missed obligation?

Muhammad Asad[fasting] during a certain number of days. But whoever of you is ill, or on a journey, [shall fast instead for the same] number of other days; and [in such cases] it is incumbent upon those who can afford it to make sacrifice by feeding a needy person. And whoever does more good than he is bound to do does good unto himself thereby; for to fast is to do good unto yourselves - if you but knew it.

M. M. Pickthall(Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need - but whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know -

Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985)(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew.
K! I have a question to ask about this. I missed two days...yesterday and today where I did not paid anyone yet because I thought I can do it at the end of ramadan? Does it have to be the exact day I missed it? I need to wait for my paid cheque until friday of next week before I get paid. Would it be ok to pay then for the missed days I have so far? If so..how much do I pay? I will be having 200 dollars for pocket money as the rest of the money will be giving to my mom and my brother. Within that 200 dollars I will be taking 60 dollars away from it to pay for my bus fair and 20 dollars for hygienic fair. Can I keep saving them up until the end of Ramadan? I will have saved 240 dollars. Would that be enough or I need to pay more? I am just wondering. Does it have to be the exact same day I missed to pay it off? If so, how can I do when I arrive home at 6:30 PM and when I do not have money? I am just wondering.

azc
05-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Ameen. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Talaa) reward you highest level of Janna :D I feel miserable rick for not fasting and seeing great benefit of fasting and I am unable to do it. I know now for the past two days where I am eating I have zero absent seizure attack. Zero! I know because here in BC it hard because Maghrib does not appear until like almost 9:00 PM and it can go up to 10:00 PM here. So from 3:00 AM until 10:00 PM you do not eat or drink so it can easily get a tole on you. Lots of Muslims leave and go to middle east during ramadan time where the hours are easier there and there are more islam atmosphere than here, in addition to being with their family members and so on. Then they come back after eid and resume life. I would love to do that..but I have no family members there and I cannot quit work for a month and I have to help family members here. But I do not want to keep missing ramadaan each year either and do it later while every muslim and muslimmah are doing it. I hate that. I feel left out. So two days have passed. I am going to write down I have missed two days and then talk to my twin brother as he is a doctor and ask his advice if I can resume fasting ok or not.
and we have almost 16 hours fast but temperature is between 40 to 45 degree Celsius.

xboxisdead
05-24-2018, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
and we have almost 16 hours fast but temperature is between 40 to 45 degree Celsius.
In a healthy brain I can do 16 to 17 hours and be happy with glee ;D;D The problem I have is inside my head my brain is thundering left and right like a tornado of a red spot of Jupiter planet. My only fear I have is it worsen to shaking in the floor :o That I do not want! :facepalm:

- - - Updated - - -

Abz2000
05-24-2018, 08:14 PM
K! I have a question to ask about this. I missed two days...yesterday and today where I did not paid anyone yet because I thought I can do it at the end of ramadan? Does it have to be the exact day I missed it? I need to wait for my paid cheque until friday of next week before I get paid. Would it be ok to pay then for the missed days I have so far? If so..how much do I pay? I will be having 200 dollars for pocket money as the rest of the money will be giving to my mom and my brother. Within that 200 dollars I will be taking 60 dollars away from it to pay for my bus fair and 20 dollars for hygienic fair. Can I keep saving them up until the end of Ramadan? I will have saved 240 dollars. Would that be enough or I need to pay more? I am just wondering. Does it have to be the exact same day I missed to pay it off? If so, how can I do when I arrive home at 6:30 PM and when I do not have money? I am just wondering.
Preferably the same day, and there are places in this world where people are poor and it only costs about $3 U.S.D to feed an adult for a day.

Dunno the reason for the apparently attempted guilt trips on people who haven't wronged you and don't owe you anything. It isn't meant to be a hit and run point scoring system so please refrain from the "i wh0red for you so kiss my feet" pleas.
No genuine believer asks you to play the magdalene and wash their corpse with precious scents from such - and each will deny your demands for rewards for crimes against Allah regardless of whether you washed their feet with fake tears and ointments that you get a whiff of every time a jigolo passes by.
Go thy way and sin no more (or at least try - but 'low the pretences).

xboxisdead
05-24-2018, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Preferably the same day, and there are places in this world where people are poor and it only costs about $3 U.S.D to feed an adult for a day.

Dunno the reason for the apparently attempted guilt trips on people who haven't wronged you and don't owe you anything. It isn't meant to be a hit and run point scoring system so please refrain from the "i wh0red for you so kiss my feet" pleas.
No genuine believer asks you to wh0re and each will deny your demands for rewards for crimes against Allah.
K! Now I know it is preferred the same day. So today I am going to pull money and pay for yesterday and today. Everyday I missed I will pay 5 dollars to feed an adult for a day and give it to a trusting brother. Because I missed yesterday I will put 10 dollars. If I am out of money until my next paid cheque I will put in paper the total days I missed and then pay that the second I get my next paid cheque and keep paying for the missed days!

AabiruSabeel
05-24-2018, 08:40 PM
:salam:

Brother, you should really consult a scholar and not take anyone's advice here regarding how much you have to pay in charity for each day and whether you should continue fasting later. If you feel like you will be able to make up your missed fasts sometime later during the year then you should make them up later.

Abz2000
05-24-2018, 08:46 PM
K! Now I know it is preferred the same day. So today I am going to pull money and pay for yesterday and today. Everyday I missed I will pay 5 dollars to feed an adult for a day and give it to a trusting brother. Because I missed yesterday I will put 10 dollars. If I am out of money until my next paid cheque I will put in paper the total days I missed and then pay that the second I get my next paid cheque and keep paying for the missed days!
Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985)
They impress on thee as a favour that they have embraced Islam. Say, "Count not your Islam as a favour upon me: Nay, Allah has conferred a favour upon you that He has guided you to the faith, if ye be true and sincere.

Yusuf Ali (Orig. 1938)
They impress on thee as a favour that they have embraced Islam. Say, "Count not your Islam as a favour upon me: Nay, God has conferred a favour upon you that He has guided you to the faith, if ye be true and sincere.

Shakir
They think that they lay you under an obligation by becoming Muslims.
Say: Lay me not under obligation by your Islam: rather Allah lays you under an obligation by guiding you to the faith if you are truthful.

Wahiduddin Khan
They think they have done you a favour by becoming Muslims! Say, Do not consider your Islam a favour to me. No indeed! It is God who bestowed a favour on you by guiding you to the true faith. [Admit this], if you are telling the truth.

Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar
They show grace to thee that they submitted to God. Say: Show you submission to God as grace to me? Nay! God shows grace to you in that He guided you to belief if you, truly, had been ones who are sincere.

----

---

And there were, among the desert Arabs (also), men who made excuses and came to claim exemption (from striving in Allah's cause); and those who were false to Allah and His Messenger (merely) sat inactive -soon will a grievous penalty seize the Unbelievers among them.
(Surah At-Tawba, 90)

---

The Arabs of the desert are the worst in Unbelief and hypocrisy, and most fitted to be in ignorance of the command which Allah hath sent down to His Messenger.But Allah is All-knowing, All-Wise.
(Surah At-Tawba, 97)

---

Some of the desert Arabs look upon their payments as a fine, and watch for disasters for you: on them be the disaster of evil: for Allah is He That heareth and knoweth (all things).
(Surah At-Tawba, 98)

---

But some of the desert Arabs believe in Allah and the Last Day, and look on their payments as pious gifts bringing them nearer to Allah and obtaining the prayers of the Messenger.Aye, indeed they bring them nearer (to Him): soon will Allah admit them to His Mercy: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
(Surah At-Tawba, 99)

---

Certain of the desert Arabs round about you are hypocrites, as well as (desert Arabs) among the Medina folk: they are obstinate in hypocrisy: thou knowest them not: We know them: twice shall We punish them: and in addition shall they be sent to a grievous penalty.
(Surah At-Tawba, 101)

HisServant
05-24-2018, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
:salam:

Brother, you should really consult a scholar and not take anyone's advice here regarding how much you have to pay in charity for each day and whether you should continue fasting later. If you feel like you will be able to make up your missed fasts sometime later during the year then you should make them up later.
I am in agreement with this. When your life is at risk as Umm Layth mentioned then your priority is to take the correct means to ensure you remain healthy, safe etc.

Sorry about the recommendation previously, I was thinking you'd probably feel better since the previous year it was okay for you to fast. I missed the part on "severe seizures" .

May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.