PDA

View Full Version : About hijab at home



Imamah Ali
06-04-2018, 06:39 AM
Assalam alaiykum

I wear hijaab when I go outside but at home I wear casual t shirt and trouser for comfort, but my mother always ask me to keep dupatta on head else angel will curse me, I Don't think so that it is right, the purpose of hijaab or abaaya is to protect ourselves from the sight of strangers but at home when there is no one I am not supposed to wear hijab I guess. At the time of Adhaan and while praying I do cover head and all but I can't do that 24*7. Please clear my doubt.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
06-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Imamah Ali
Assalam alaiykum

I wear hijaab when I go outside but at home I wear casual t shirt and trouser for comfort, but my mother always ask me to keep dupatta on head else angel will curse me, I Don't think so that it is right, the purpose of hijaab or abaaya is to protect ourselves from the sight of strangers but at home when there is no one I am not supposed to wear hijab I guess. At the time of Adhaan and while praying I do cover head and all but I can't do that 24*7. Please clear my doubt.
:wa:

I've never heard of this cursing thing for not covering head (in home)
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
06-04-2018, 04:58 PM
You're at home with mahrams. You're fine. I think your mothers concerns are cultural.
Reply

Zzz_
06-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

Hijab is required in the presence of non mahrams only. You don't have to wear it at home, unless you have male kin at home then it's only out of modesty one covers appropriately in front of them. You don't have to cover your head at adhan time or when someone is reciting the Quran, that is a cultural desi thing. Only time head covering is required is when doing the prayer.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Mandy
09-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Zzz_
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,
You don't have to wear it at home, unless you have male kin at home then it's only out of modesty one covers appropriately in front of them.
I am sorry maybe I am misunderstanding this, I want to be sure. I am newly converted and now wear my hijab whenever I go outside. But I usually don't wear it at home, since I was under the impression it was not needed.

But you say "male kin"? As in family? Does that mean I should wear my hijab when my sons are home with me?
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
09-27-2018, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Mandy
I am sorry maybe I am misunderstanding this, I want to be sure. I am newly converted and now wear my hijab whenever I go outside. But I usually don't wear it at home, since I was under the impression it was not needed.

But you say "male kin"? As in family? Does that mean I should wear my hijab when my sons are home with me?
OK I'm gonna try and simplify this: u dont have to wear hijab in front of mahrams( also cant marry them)

Mahrams are( dont know if the list is complete might have missed some): your sons, grandad, step dad( i think, not 100% sure tho), nephews from ur bros or sisters etc( eg their kids). Ur uncles from ur mum and dads side ( eg ur dads bro) um... Your father in law. Thats what i can think of at the moment. You don't need to cover in front of your sons or brothers. Your cousins are not mahram to you tho.
Reply

Mandy
09-28-2018, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
OK I'm gonna try and simplify this: u dont have to wear hijab in front of mahrams( also cant marry them)

Mahrams are( dont know if the list is complete might have missed some): your sons, grandad, step dad( i think, not 100% sure tho), nephews from ur bros or sisters etc( eg their kids). Ur uncles from ur mum and dads side ( eg ur dads bro) um... Your father in law. Thats what i can think of at the moment. You don't need to cover in front of your sons or brothers. Your cousins are not mahram to you tho.
Thanks for the complete reply. That confirms what I thought before. The way ZZZ said it made me doubt I might have had misunderstood.

And honestly, with a 3 year old always at home, I was starting to wonder how I could manage always wearing my Hijab all the time at home (nothing stains more than little hands full of paint, jam or anything else sticky!!)
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
09-28-2018, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by Mandy
Thanks for the complete reply. That confirms what I thought before. The way ZZZ said it made me doubt I might have had misunderstood.

And honestly, with a 3 year old always at home, I was starting to wonder how I could manage always wearing my Hijab all the time at home (nothing stains more than little hands full of paint, jam or anything else sticky!!)
You're welcome. It would be a challenge to wear hijab infront of a three year old lol!
Reply

Zzz_
09-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Mandy
Thanks for the complete reply. That confirms what I thought before. The way ZZZ said it made me doubt I might have had misunderstood.

And honestly, with a 3 year old always at home, I was starting to wonder how I could manage always wearing my Hijab all the time at home (nothing stains more than little hands full of paint, jam or anything else sticky!!)
what i meant was you can wear modest clothing when you have adult male kin at home of modesty and appropriateness. Other than that, hijab is to be worn in front of non-mahrams as cinnamon clarified above :)
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 12:33 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 12:21 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 08:57 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!