/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do I start teaching a 10 year old kid about Islam?

Stoic
06-04-2018, 10:14 AM
I don't have any Islamic books so can I just show videos on YouTube?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
06-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Start with the basics, good manners, good character, prayer, common du'a, islamic habits (eg. saying bismillah before starting good actions, saying assalamu alaikum instead of "hi" to parents and other muslims, etc.). Depending on gender, further topics can be discussed. For example, a girl at this age should start to be more aware about how she dresses. A boy at this age should be more aware of his actions and emotions (controlling anger, giving kind treatment towards parents, etc). You want to start setting them up to where they gravitate towards positive Allah-fearing people and have a strong backbone, rather than to be easily influenced by peer-pressure. They should also be more courteous and dutiful to their parents considering they are old enough to do their own chores and do things for themselves. Keep them busy, so they're not wasting their time on things that give them no benefit.

hinabutt
06-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Tell him stories about Sahaba (R.A), Prophets and Messengers of Allah (S.W.T)... it is such a good and beautiful start for young kids.

Zzz_
06-04-2018, 10:37 PM
get him islamic children books and islamic children shows like adam's world

https://www.soundvision.com/categories/adams-world

youtube got great stuff

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...islam+for+kids

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karl
06-05-2018, 02:15 AM
For a start you must respect your students and don't call them a kid or ----- or pig. In the West the slang for a very young child before the age of 5 is "kid" because they are generally full of energy and very active like a young goat. Somehow the Americans extended it to mean anyone, so it has become meaningless. Using their first name would be the best as calling a 10 year old youth a kid would be a put down and offensive.

Eric H
06-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Greetings and peace be with you *charisma*;

Start with the basics, good manners, good character, prayer, common du'a, islamic habits (eg. saying bismillah before starting good actions, saying assalamu alaikum instead of "hi" to parents and other muslims, etc.). Depending on gender, further topics can be discussed. For example, a girl at this age should start to be more aware about how she dresses. A boy at this age should be more aware of his actions and emotions (controlling anger, giving kind treatment towards parents, etc). You want to start setting them up to where they gravitate towards positive Allah-fearing people and have a strong backbone, rather than to be easily influenced by peer-pressure. They should also be more courteous and dutiful to their parents considering they are old enough to do their own chores and do things for themselves. Keep them busy, so they're not wasting their time on things that give them no benefit.
Agreed, and also strive to be the very best role model that they will be inspired and encouraged to follow.

Every blessing this Ramadan,
Eric

Zzz_
06-08-2018, 04:07 AM
You are what you watch. Here is an alternative edutainment platform for Muslim Kids to learn Islamic values the fun way.

https://www.islamicfinder.org/partner/ali-huda/

Ali Huda
Ali Huda...

Abz2000
06-15-2018, 02:46 PM
I found a very special and inspiring resource for beneficial knowledge which had the kids smiling all the way through and encouraged them to learn Islam via positive Islamic role modelling - like and subscribe if you find it useful:

Btw their method of recitation indicates that they in turn took inspiration from Hasan bin Abdullah Al Awadh.

Abz2000
06-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Abz2000
06-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Here's some good advice:

THE CASE OF MARYAM MASUD LAAM AND PARENTING
by Hikmatu Iddrisu
July 30, 2016

http://muslimahsameerah.com/maryam-m...ion-parenting/

THE CASE OF MARYAM MASUD LAAM AND PARENTING - Muslimah Sameerah
Website for Inspirational Islamic stories and news about Muslim preachers, entrepreneurs, actors, artists, musicians, fashion, food, business around Ghana, Africa and the world...

xboxisdead
06-19-2018, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
For a start you must respect your students and don't call them a kid or ----- or pig. In the West the slang for a very young child before the age of 5 is "kid" because they are generally full of energy and very active like a young goat. Somehow the Americans extended it to mean anyone, so it has become meaningless. Using their first name would be the best as calling a 10 year old youth a kid would be a put down and offensive.
The disrespect (especially) for boys and men is ever more rampant than you can ever imagine. They are called stupid, dogs, immature you name it. All those negative remarks and insults does not make the person any better...it makes the person actually want to look up for the label. For example, if I am constantly labeled as a dog since I was a boy..you better believe I will wiggle my tail, get my tongue out and bark like a dog. If I am called immature...I will go lalalala and act like a 2 year old at age 40 and when people say grow up...I go "I don't wanna". You are not helping a student by being mean to the person or trying to make the person be someone else or forcing the nature of a male student to behave like a female student and expect him to be at her level. I call these...child abuse. An extreme major sin and may Allah (Subhanahu Wa Talaa) punish that person severely in hell fire for these vile and evil action.

You expect the student to respect the teacher when the teacher does not respect the student. You expect a child to respect the adult when the adult does not respect the child. So calling someone a kid at age 16...he believes he is a kid. He not only act as a kid but he expect no consequence for his action because he is a kid. That means when you tell a 16 year old kid that the angels are writing down your sin he goes angry. Why should the angel write down my sin when I am a kid? I am still a child and I don't know any better! That would be the expected answer from him..but it does not change the fact the angels will start write down his deeds. So by being mean, condescending, insulting and call him immature and a child you are not helping him to develop to a grown adult and he will have a mental capacity of a child.

I am looking forward for the trend of dumbing down our men to a point of incompetency. Now that would be a sight to see! ;D The only people to blame are the parents and teachers!

Zeal
06-19-2018, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Stoic
I don't have any Islamic books so can I just show videos on YouTube?
Find a PDF of Islamic stories for kids and read it through with them.. Kids need interaction people to talk and laugh with so YouTube videos aren't the best method for them

Mahir Adnan
06-19-2018, 07:34 PM
start with tawhid.
western Muslim child should often read 2/3 books by harun yahya on ANT & HONEY BEE.
after tawhid,teach them about five pillars.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.