PDA

View Full Version : Monthly income of physicists



Nashita
06-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Assalamualaikum
Lol I am curious to know the monthly income of physicists all around the world!
I am a student of physics and I love the subject and want to get into research and teaching Physics at University level . Money isn't everything but it matters!

I want to know the position and pay scale of physicists in different countries.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zzz_
06-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Depends on your gender, university of degree, university of employment, connections, nation, ethnicity, potential/credential

https://www.payscale.com/research/US...ysicist/Salary

Physicist Salary
As of Jun 2018, the average pay for a Physicist is $88,541 annually or $32.95 /hr....
Reply

anatolian
06-12-2018, 06:29 PM
If I was a scientist I would think idealistic more than materialistic. I would force the reseach centers for the sub fields I want to advance. Force the laboratories like CERN. Money comes evantually
Reply

Abdul C
06-13-2018, 04:39 AM
Generally Physcists are fairly well paid. Contact the professional associations for specific salary-scales.

The main thing is to get a Phd if you want to be a lecturer at a University. I advise taking a course with a general background and a specialism that is likely to be useful in research and industry. This has to be something you love doing. With the cuts however, getting a place as a student is difficult, let alone a secure job at the end of it. So to stand out you need a row of A grade A levels and degree-Firsts from the best universities you can afford to get to. And one thing most Physics students forget - you must be excellent at Mathematics - as that is the langusge of the operating system of Physics.

Tip - consider historical Physics: Newton, Ohmn, Watt, Einstein etc.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Abdul C
06-13-2018, 09:33 AM
I think you should separate two things here: Physics and Teaching.

If you want to work in Physics there are lots of opportunities.

Universities do as much research as they do teaching. Teaching in schools and collages does not involve research.

What do you envisage yourself doing?
Reply

Nashita
06-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Abdul C
I think you should separate two things here: Physics and Teaching.

If you want to work in Physics there are lots of opportunities.

Universities do as much research as they do teaching. Teaching in schools and collages does not involve research.

What do you envisage yourself doing?
I want to teach as well as get into research. Teaching at University level involves research too. So basically I want to be a Physics Professor. Physics has always been my passion since I was in 7th grade . I love maths too . I am always fascinated with new inventions related to technology.
I do coding and programming as well, I enjoy doing it. I love problem solving ! Experimental physics has always been so exciting for me . It's not that I want to pursue this field because it's a reputed one, it's because I am passionate about this field and want to explore it . I am an eighteen year old studying in first year of college pursuing physics honours degree. I love what I am studying, I don't study keeping grades in my mind always though they matter alot, I study to explore the subject. Every portion of this field fascinates me !
Reply

hinabutt
06-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Depends on the sector, if working in a private sector it can be between 86000 to 150000 rupees but if working in a govt sector it can be between 187000 to 250000 rupees in Pakistan.
Reply

Abdul C
06-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Nashita
I want to teach as well as get into research. Teaching at University level involves research too. So basically I want to be a Physics Professor.
OK. That is a clear goal. Well you need to have something of everything to meet this goal. The first major step is the Phd. If you can, get a Bsc. so good and skip the Masters. It can be done. That saves two years, or take a Masters you can add one year onto for a Phd. Ideally do an M.Phil (Research degree) rather than a taught Msc. You could even start with a Bphil. That way your qualifications say research to employers. Researchers are far more valuable to universities than just people who regurgitate knowledge from other peoples books and lectures!
Reply

Nashita
06-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Abdul C
OK. That is a clear goal. Well you need to have something of everything to meet this goal. The first major step is the Phd. If you can, get a Bsc. so good and skip the Masters. It can be done. That saves two years, or take a Masters you can add one year onto for a Phd. Ideally do an M.Phil (Research degree) rather than a taught Msc. You could even start with a Bphil. That way your qualifications say research to employers. Researchers are far more valuable to universities than just people who regurgitate knowledge from other peoples books and lectures!
I am doing my BSc , I will do MSc after that and then PhD. I am not going for MPhil, I want to teach in the university level and the basic requirement for that is atleast a masters degree. And I have to learn and understand my subject better so MSc will help more than MPhil.

And thank you so much for your reply.
Reply

ardianto
06-13-2018, 03:39 PM
:sl:

Originally Posted by Nashita
I want to know the position and pay scale of physicists in different countries.
Standard of salaries in one country is different than other countries. If you worked as physicist in India or Pakistan, of course you could not ask salary as high as physicist in US or Canada. But since living cost in India or Pakistan are lower than living cost in US or Canada, if you worked as physicist there, In Shaa Allah, your salary would be enough to live as middle class citizen.
Reply

Abdul C
06-13-2018, 04:56 PM
An Mphil is regarded as higher than an Msc. Look into it. I know as I have one in Clinical Reserch and statistics. ;D. My father had Bsc, Msc and Two Phds in Physics.
Reply

Nashita
06-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Abdul C
An Mphil is regarded as higher than an Msc. Look into it. I know as I have one in Clinical Reserch and statistics. ;D. My father had Bsc, Msc and Two Phds in Physics.
That's great!

I know that an MPhil is regarded as higher than MSc but MPhil is more like preparing yourself for the PhD where as MSc is course based. And I won't be eligible for an MPhil if I don't do MSc , that's the rule of the education system here in India. After my MSc I want to go directly for PhD .
Reply

Abdul C
06-13-2018, 07:03 PM
Best of luck for your studies. Success Inchallah.
Reply

Nashita
06-14-2018, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Abdul C
Best of luck for your studies. Success Inchallah.
Thank you so much

Jazak Allah khair
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 06:03 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 01:06 AM
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!