/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Using software named after a Greek god

rick.green
06-23-2018, 11:50 AM
I'm working on a new software program, and 1) one of the most assertive of those on the project wants to use for the name of the software the name of a Greek god. Would that discourage Muslims from using the software? A few of them, many, most, nearly all?

Writing this software will be a lot of work, and not everyone will like it anyhow, but I don't want to use a name that will cut down on the software's acceptance even before they people try it.

2) The first draft of the program will be centered around English, will only write from left to right, and use only the Latin alphabet, but it's Windows and people can still use those same letters with accents and squiggles (like for French or Spanish). Someone on the project says that means that Muslims won't be using it anyhow, regardless of its name. Is that true?

a) I know there are countries like Pakistan, India, Nigeria, where there are a large number of English speakers and a large number of Muslims, but I don't know how many people are both, Muslim English speakers, who might use this software. ??

b) Plus I know there is a lot of English in former British-dominated areas like iirc Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan, I'm sure there is software there that works with Arabic. Can I assume that the same software works with English when desired so people aren't going to change to a Latin-only program for their English uses when they can use the same program they're using for Arabic? Or might they use both?

c) Then there is Indonesia and Malaysia, etc. Hmmm. It says that English is the official language of Malaysia so maybe it should be in the question with Pakistan. But wrt Indonesia and maybe Malaysia, is English used very much, maybe for international business and social uses?

d) And countries like the US and UK where there is a smaller percentage but just about everyone speaks English and uses it at work.

Do all these groups contain a lot of people who might use the software, but won't if it's named after a Greek god?

A later version is planned that will write from right to left also and will have Arabic. Is there a need for a better email program, POP not webmail, that a substantial number of Arabic, Farsi, or Urdu-speaking Muslims might use?

Thanks in advance,

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
OmAbdullah
06-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I suggest sincerely that it should not be named after any false deity. Also it must be clean internally from any shirk. Or it will not be profitable.

Abz2000
06-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Just recently a footballer gained a lot of respect after refusing to accept a man of the match award sponsored by budweiser, this is a very good example of how it is wise to be respectful to all people where possible and fair to do so in the sight of God - a measure easy to measure by.

rick.green
06-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Thanks for replying.

The question was never whether to be respectful of Muslims. It was whether using the name showed disrespect, whether avoiding the name actually showed respect, whether Muslims care about this. After all, Christians don't care, even though they too think praying to a Greek god would be idolatry.

Also, in order to prevail over the other guy, he or other people on the project would have to believe that there are enough English-speaking Muslims who might use the program. From prior conversations with them I know that the number of those who live in the US, Canada, and the UK, are not enough

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
06-23-2018, 03:15 PM
Greetings, Rick. Welcome to the forum.

format_quote Originally Posted by rick.green
one of the most assertive of those on the project wants to use for the name of the software the name of a Greek god. Would that discourage Muslims from using the software?
Majority of Muslims actually have no problem with brand that taken from Greek god name. But in certain places where the Muslims are more conservative like in Saudi Arabia, it maybe different.

Then there is Indonesia and Malaysia, etc. Hmmm. It says that English is the official language of Malaysia so maybe it should be in the question with Pakistan. But wrt Indonesia and maybe Malaysia, is English used very much, maybe for international business and social uses?
For communicate with foreign people in business, yes, Indonesian people use English. But products that use Indonesian language in instruction are more acceptable by Indonesian consumers.

Alamgir
06-23-2018, 06:22 PM
I'm working on a new software program, and 1) one of the most assertive of those on the project wants to use for the name of the software the name of a Greek god. Would that discourage Muslims from using the software? A few of them, many, most, nearly all?

Writing this software will be a lot of work, and not everyone will like it anyhow, but I don't want to use a name that will cut down on the software's acceptance even before they people try it.

2) The first draft of the program will be centered around English, will only write from left to right, and use only the Latin alphabet, but it's Windows and people can still use those same letters with accents and squiggles (like for French or Spanish). Someone on the project says that means that Muslims won't be using it anyhow, regardless of its name. Is that true?

a) I know there are countries like Pakistan, India, Nigeria, where there are a large number of English speakers and a large number of Muslims, but I don't know how many people are both, Muslim English speakers, who might use this software. ??

b) Plus I know there is a lot of English in former British-dominated areas like iirc Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan, I'm sure there is software there that works with Arabic. Can I assume that the same software works with English when desired so people aren't going to change to a Latin-only program for their English uses when they can use the same program they're using for Arabic? Or might they use both?

c) Then there is Indonesia and Malaysia, etc. Hmmm. It says that English is the official language of Malaysia so maybe it should be in the question with Pakistan. But wrt Indonesia and maybe Malaysia, is English used very much, maybe for international business and social uses?

d) And countries like the US and UK where there is a smaller percentage but just about everyone speaks English and uses it at work.

Do all these groups contain a lot of people who might use the software, but won't if it's named after a Greek god?

A later version is planned that will write from right to left also and will have Arabic. Is there a need for a better email program, POP not webmail, that a substantial number of Arabic, Farsi, or Urdu-speaking Muslims might use?

Thanks in advance,
Hello

It would be better not to, but to be honest, most of us won't care enough to stop using the software if it is good. Heck, most of us don't even know any Greek deities.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.