/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims portrayed on tv

Pinky
07-05-2018, 10:28 PM
With programmes such as Eastenders, Citizen Khan and Ackley Bridge being the more recent ones how do you think they are giving us a name? Good or bad? Citizen Khan just made a joke of muslims

It's 2018 and just having actors (many of them are not actually muslims!) wearing a big hijaab is becoming so common and the storylines just do not match the culture and religion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ismezainab
07-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Any publicity is good publicity. That's my view, even negativity

سيف الله
07-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Salaam

A lot of it is propaganda, they are trying to paint a picture of Muslims that has little bearing with reality. Its been going on for some time.

Some books if your interested

Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People

Blurb

Countless movies have portrayed Arabs as loathsome lechers who terrorise, murder, and finally die in droves. In 'Reel Bad Arabs' film scholar Jack Shaheen exposes in fascinating detail this appalling side of the Hollywood 'dream' machine. His stupendous study dissects this slanderous history dating from cinema's earliest days to contemporary Hollywood blockbusters that feature Bedouin bandits, sinister sheikhs, machine-gun wielding and bomb-blowing "evil" Arabs. He examines how and why such a stereotype has grown and spread in the film industry and what may be done to change Hollywood's defamation of Arabs.

Blurb

Ever since 9/11, Muslims and Islam have dominated the headlines in the UK. In this important book, several leading media commentators examine the phenomenon of ‘Islamophobia’ and ask how we can tackle it. Charting recent media controversies, from the Archbishop of Canterbury’s comments on Sharia law to the veil ‘debate’, the book argues that media hostility to Islam alienates Muslims and undermines efforts to combat extremism.
With interviews from Muslim journalists and examples of press-fuelled myths about Islam in Britain, this is a captivating insight into how Muslims are depicted in the West.

Silas
07-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Not all portrayals of Arab Muslims within cinema are bad. Some films have positive depictions

The 13th Warrior
Kingdom of Heaven

and others ...

I would say that "Lawrence of Arabia" is a positive depiction, as the story is really a critique about a man who no longer feels a connection to his own people (Lawrence), and embraces Arab culture, the desert, and even Islam to some degree. Omar Sharif's character Sherif Ali is the most noble individual in the entire story, a man guided by principle, piety, and courage, who can see the "big picture" beyond the petty tribal squabbles and conflicts around him

On television, "Little Mosque" is certainly not negative, even though it plays around with stereotypes of both Muslims and Christians for comic effect. The Imam in that show is a very admirable guy.

Another interesting depiction of Muslims comes from the show "Vikings". In one episode, the Vikings raid a port town in Moorish Spain and engage in a massacre. The barbarism and ferocity of the Vikings is contrasted with the civilized community of Muslims, and at one point, one of the Vikings feels sympathy for a group of Muslims praying in the mosque. He prevents his compatriots from killing the men, and later admits that the strange people (Muslims) had some kind of connection to God that he too feels.

While Said's critiques and insights are certainly valid, I think the west is moving beyond these "orientalisms" and stereotypes to some degree.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
07-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Life is a sitcom..

Character development relies on good conduct and abstinance from sin.

Has nobody ever noticed?

Or maybe you all know too well.

Anyway,

Maybe one day you will all be a little brighter than the script..

Nice shiny people.

...but the script is there none the less.

Random Google!

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-tha...ade-for-prayer

Don't get caught up in it all, for fear of losing the goal and winning the ?dunya? ..Or bringing mischief and slaughter to the earth.

سيف الله
08-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by Silas
Not all portrayals of Arab Muslims within cinema are bad. Some films have positive depictions

The 13th Warrior
Kingdom of Heaven

and others ...

I would say that "Lawrence of Arabia" is a positive depiction, as the story is really a critique about a man who no longer feels a connection to his own people (Lawrence), and embraces Arab culture, the desert, and even Islam to some degree. Omar Sharif's character Sherif Ali is the most noble individual in the entire story, a man guided by principle, piety, and courage, who can see the "big picture" beyond the petty tribal squabbles and conflicts around him

On television, "Little Mosque" is certainly not negative, even though it plays around with stereotypes of both Muslims and Christians for comic effect. The Imam in that show is a very admirable guy.

Another interesting depiction of Muslims comes from the show "Vikings". In one episode, the Vikings raid a port town in Moorish Spain and engage in a massacre. The barbarism and ferocity of the Vikings is contrasted with the civilized community of Muslims, and at one point, one of the Vikings feels sympathy for a group of Muslims praying in the mosque. He prevents his compatriots from killing the men, and later admits that the strange people (Muslims) had some kind of connection to God that he too feels.

While Said's critiques and insights are certainly valid, I think the west is moving beyond these "orientalisms" and stereotypes to some degree.
I agree its not black and white, for instance I can think of films like

And even in the past, not all western explorers had ill intent and many tried to understand the culture, even if it was in a misguided way. And I dont disagree that the prejudice doesnt go the other way eg. Occidentalism.

Having said that even though the situation has evolved I think the its still bad in many respects (globalists have targeted Islam for subversion), in fact in the UK its going into reverse, with the UK governing elites targeting Muslims for 'integration' which in the old days would of been called 'conversion'.

I think one way the situation will improve if Muslims themselves get themselves involved in Media and give their perspectives, to give another example, news media is much more diversified than it was in the past, you can experience other cultures from their perspectives.

Oh and if you want to see old fashioned Orientalism in action check this out.

M.I.A.
08-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Ok I made one random post rant already but this might put me over my daily quota of edgyness that I require..

Just a thought on the "integration" of Muslims in the UK.

...have you ever thought that the perception of such an idea is also an attempt at subversion of reality?

I only ask because at the end of the day Muslims are a minority and so must interact with the majority more often..

Statistically speaking.

And in doing so can only express the values they hold..

Whilst establishing relationships and communication.

At the end of the day, we are not ever all going to be the same. But as long as we bring positive changes into people's lives, it will be noticed.

..although who can claim that they do.. I do not know.

I don't see it as conversion, simply because I know what I can and cannot do.

The standards of conduct expected of me by my religion.

The rest is personal habits, personality.. work ethics.. em.. relationships and communication.

In the end just coming to terms of toleration is actually the beginning.. before we can even start to understand the languages we actually speak.

A step towards becoming humans again.

..And understanding how the world works.. if not how Allah swt works.

Believe me, they are all human.

And it's a different war to that which rages in other countries...

Let those be a lesson on how not to conduct war.

Seriously.. I'm not even trying to be funny..

There is always one.

..you don't have right to say who has what authority.

Maybe a right to understand what detracts from your own steadfastness.

..and in the moment it just feels like being one team.

..Or am I mistaken again o_O

Ironically you were told it was a battle for hearts and minds long ago.

سيف الله
08-01-2018, 09:31 PM
Salaam

Maybe conversion it too strong a word to use, I admit I was exaggerating a little, its more like they are trying to subvert Muslims and Islam to becoming obedient lapdogs of ruling class elites.

For instance Christianity has been thoroughly subverted by the British State, that's one of the reasons why they are so tame and docile and heading towards an early end if they don't rapidly change course.

M.I.A.
08-01-2018, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Maybe conversion it too strong a word to use, I admit I was exaggerating a little, its more like they are trying to subvert Muslims and Islam to becoming obedient lapdogs of ruling class elites.

For instance Christianity has been thoroughly subverted by the British State, that's one of the reasons why they are so tame and docile and heading towards an early end if they don't rapidly change course.
Again, the old phrase is to fear Allah swt and not the creation.

..by this I don't mean that you should go about looking for a punch up at a boxing club..

Because that is an unwise choice.

But the fear of becoming a lapdog is not going to stop me being a productive member of society..

That would simply be a step backwards.

Allah swt is most just..

Although that may take some time to understand also...

Towards you and them.

Tell me when he would prefer you? ..Or the unthinkable, why he would prefer them?

Or maybe he would have full account of you.

And not of them?

You really shouldn't want to raise the place to the ground simply to plan for something better.

..I don't even know what Islam translates as?

سيف الله
08-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Again, the old phrase is to fear Allah swt and not the creation.

..by this I don't mean that you should go about looking for a punch up at a boxing club..

Because that is an unwise choice.

But the fear of becoming a lapdog is not going to stop me being a productive member of society..

That would simply be a step backwards.

Allah swt is most just..

Although that may take some time to understand also...

Towards you and them.

Tell me when he would prefer you? ..Or the unthinkable, why he would prefer them?

Or maybe he would have full account of you.

And not of them?

You really shouldn't want to raise the place to the ground simply to plan for something better.

..I don't even know what Islam translates as?
I'm not sure what your trying to say here, to put it simply I'd rather not let the British state dictate to me what I can and cannot believe or manipulating me or my own community for its own invariably nefarious end as history as shown. Id rather they mind their own business.

And on the meaning of Islam, (mods correct me if Im wrong)

The word Islam means voluntary “Submission” or “Surrender” to the Will of God. It derives from the root word “salam,” meaning peace.

In the Quran, God defines that the only purpose for which He created mankind is to Worship Him. Islam recognizes that humankind has free choice in whether to obey or disobey God, but ultimately we will be held accountable to God in the next life for the choices that we make in this life.

سيف الله
08-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Salaam

Yes I know this is trash TV being BBC 3 but like to share nevertheless, seems like more BBC PR but not sure what to make of it, any comment?

Edit onepoint,if you look through this video series they say what not to say to Jews, Sikhs, Hindus etc but for some reasons Muslims have to be labelled as British Muslims, interesting.

Blurb

British Muslims are not chuffed about being asked stupid stuff, over and over. They want to put people in the know about the ridiculous things not to say, like, "Do you miss bacon sarnies?" So, get wise, and give them a break…

The whole purpose is to 'remake' and 'rebrand' the Muslims community (ies)

Oh and another end goal.

magok
08-10-2018, 08:41 PM
insulting us can generate views and profit

simple

i feel bad for the next group that will torn apart after us

Kiro
08-10-2018, 09:48 PM
They need to capture the golden age of ISlaam like Al Andalous.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.