/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rojava Kurds will support Assad in Idlib – if it helps them retake Afrin

JustTime
07-26-2018, 05:03 PM
http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/syria/26072018

Rojava Kurds will support Assad in Idlib – if it helps them retake Afrin

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Kurdish authorities in Rojava say they are ready to take part in a Syrian government operation in Idlib if doing so brings them closer to retaking Afrin, which was seized by the Turkish military and its Syrian opposition proxies earlier this year.

“One of the steps towards liberating Afrin is that we must put pressure on Turkey and ask them to withdraw from the soil of Syria completely – and our enclaves in particular,” Aldar Khalil, co-president of the executive body of the Movement for a Democratic Society (TEV-DEM), told Rudaw.

“To evict them, we must try whatever means necessary, be they diplomatic efforts, military means, or through the media,” he added.

The defeat of Turkish troops in Idlib would pave the way for their defeat in Afrin, he said.

TEV-DEM is the governing coalition in Rojava, the Kurdish-dominated self-autonomous enclave in northern Syria. The Democratic Union Party (PYD), the main party within TEV-DEM, has been excluded from the Geneva and Astana processes, at the insistence of Ankara.

Preparations for the Syrian government’s Idlib operation are expected to begin soon after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces, with Russian and Iranian backing, retook swathes of territory around the capital Damascus and areas in the country’s southwest.

Idlib province is controlled by the Nusra Front – a former al-Qaeda affiliate – and Turkish troops.

Rojava authorities are yet to make an official statement on their involvement in such an operation, nor have they been invited to take part by the Assad government, Khalil said.

In recent remarks, Assad hinted his government will soon shift its focus from the south to the north to retake territories from several different armed groups.

The Turkish army has carried out military operations in northern Syria, dubbed Operation Euphrates Shield and Operation Olive Branch, alongside the Free Syrian Army (FSA). Their stated aim is to clear the Turkish border of ISIS and Kurdish groups, which Ankara consider terrorists.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
xboxisdead
07-26-2018, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JustTime
http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/syria/26072018

Rojava Kurds will support Assad in Idlib – if it helps them retake Afrin

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Kurdish authorities in Rojava say they are ready to take part in a Syrian government operation in Idlib if doing so brings them closer to retaking Afrin, which was seized by the Turkish military and its Syrian opposition proxies earlier this year.

“One of the steps towards liberating Afrin is that we must put pressure on Turkey and ask them to withdraw from the soil of Syria completely – and our enclaves in particular,” Aldar Khalil, co-president of the executive body of the Movement for a Democratic Society (TEV-DEM), told Rudaw.

“To evict them, we must try whatever means necessary, be they diplomatic efforts, military means, or through the media,” he added.

The defeat of Turkish troops in Idlib would pave the way for their defeat in Afrin, he said.

TEV-DEM is the governing coalition in Rojava, the Kurdish-dominated self-autonomous enclave in northern Syria. The Democratic Union Party (PYD), the main party within TEV-DEM, has been excluded from the Geneva and Astana processes, at the insistence of Ankara.

Preparations for the Syrian government’s Idlib operation are expected to begin soon after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces, with Russian and Iranian backing, retook swathes of territory around the capital Damascus and areas in the country’s southwest.

Idlib province is controlled by the Nusra Front – a former al-Qaeda affiliate – and Turkish troops.

Rojava authorities are yet to make an official statement on their involvement in such an operation, nor have they been invited to take part by the Assad government, Khalil said.

In recent remarks, Assad hinted his government will soon shift its focus from the south to the north to retake territories from several different armed groups.

The Turkish army has carried out military operations in northern Syria, dubbed Operation Euphrates Shield and Operation Olive Branch, alongside the Free Syrian Army (FSA). Their stated aim is to clear the Turkish border of ISIS and Kurdish groups, which Ankara consider terrorists.
What is wrong with me? imsadimsadimsad:cry::cry::cry::cry: Am I stupid? I tried reading that paragraph 5 times and even have a software to read it out loud to me...and I don't understand it and I even forget the above paragraph what it said even if I tried so hard to squeeze myself to read it. :cry::cry: I am stupid. I do not know what it says imsad!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.