/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is my diet app haram?

07-29-2018, 05:51 PM
As-salam aleykum,

I've made an app that will allow the user to easily lose weight and/or gain muscle. However, I've read on IslamQA that if the seller knows that his product will most likely be used for haram, then it is haram for him to sell the product. I've currently set that only muslim majority countries can download it to be on the safe side. Am I overthinking it?

EDIT:
It's about this specific fatwa: https://islamqa.info/en/75007

EDIT:
In another fatwa (https://islamqa.info/en/197328) it says:
Clothes that may be used for both permissible and prohibited purposes in equal measure, depending on the choice of the person who wears them A woman might wear them for her husband, or in front of women or mahrams, or she might wear them in front of non-mahrams. The basic principle concerning such clothes is that it is permissible to manufacture them, because they may be used in some permissible ways, and the burden of sin will be borne by those who use them in prohibited ways.
Not sure what to do anymore...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anatolian
07-29-2018, 07:56 PM
I think so

azc
07-30-2018, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00001001
As-salam aleykum,

I've made an app that will allow the user to easily lose weight and/or gain muscle. However, I've read on IslamQA that if the seller knows that his product will most likely be used for haram, then it is haram for him to sell the product. I've currently set that only muslim majority countries can download it to be on the safe side. Am I overthinking it?
:wa:

How can it be used for haram...?

ChosenTCO
07-30-2018, 08:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
:wa:

How can it be used for haram...?
Im guessing since most westerners aim to beauty their bodies in order to attract the opposite gender. They mainly dont do it for health reason, thats for sure.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
07-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Of my mind you are overthinking. People could use whatever for haram purposes if they like.

07-30-2018, 09:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ChosenTCO
Im guessing since most westerners aim to beauty their bodies in order to attract the opposite gender. They mainly dont do it for health reason, thats for sure.
Exactly.

azc
07-30-2018, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ChosenTCO
agree, but.... App per se can not be Haram as almost everything has negative and positive aspects.

ChosenTCO
07-30-2018, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
agree, but.... App per se can not be Haram as almost everything has negative and positive aspects.
Correct. Apps in general are no haram, but apps that are made specifically for haram things are haram.

format_quote Originally Posted by 00001001
Exactly.
Thing is ... Almost everything has an element of hara in it these days. Question is whether the negatives of it outweigh the positives in an islamic sense.
There are many cases in this world that faces this exact dilemma. So your not the only one in this scenario ... I would recommend you do whatever you can to limit the group of people who would use this app for haram things to access your app and the rest can be left alone. Like you suggested, try to allow your app to be downloaded in countries where haram things like this dont happen. Inshallah there will be nothing wrong with that.

Snow
08-01-2018, 05:32 PM
So what?
They are doing a healthy thing and the side effect is looking better.
Everybody wins
It is not like throwing a wig on a bald guy.
They put hard work in.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.