/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Clarification about Hadith and Backbiting

ameerkam
07-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Salaam.
I wanted a bit of elaboration on this Hadith“Whoever among you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand (by taking action); if he cannot, then with his tongue (by speaking out); and if he cannot, then with his heart (by hating it and feeling it is wrong), and that is the weakest of faith.” [Muslim].

Would this mean that the person who doesn’t say anything and hates it is doing haraam? Or just not a good thing to do? And if a person doesn’t do anything, is this a sin?
And does this also mean that every single evil that a Muslim notices that isn’t resolved or talked about is a sin?

Also, If I’m say, watching the news or a YouTube video and there’s a part where there is some backbiting there, do I have to turn it off or can I still watch the rest of it? And if I’m with friends and they start talks no about someone, is it haraam for me to be there?

Jazzakallahi Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Anothername
08-01-2018, 12:20 AM
Good question. Previously, I used to talking about sins in order to condemn them, previously I hated hearing people backbiting others, however over time this all change. Sometimes, backbiting, (which is understood saying something about your brother which he will dislike) has it's place, sometimes listening to the experiences from others helps you change your understanding whereas you had made certain conclusions. Sometimes listening to others you realize there is a different perspective that may or may not hold true. Usually, I select what I can tolerate, for example a youtube video on Islamophobia or targeting Muslims, that will depend on my present energy level......

As for dealing with backbiting with friends or family members or a fellow brother and sister, sometimes you just have to let people talk. It might hurt your soul at times if they are being unfair in their speech but it might be a form of therapy for them in finding inner peace. Let me give an example, there was this sister or had a certain racial prejudice which I happen to be in and her husband also, but by having problems with him, by extension she became bitter to everyone with our racial identity. And, it was very difficult to tolerate, in fact, found myself going out of my way, just to disapprove her mistaken assumptions. That lasted quite a while until I needed to draw a line at certain misgivings.

Everyone is going through some kind of battle, I think if you can't help someone, then just let them be. Some people are bitter due to a divorce, some have been abused or violated somehow. So, based on this I don't think every backbiting is sinful. As for changing things, I feel the more we change ourselves for the best, the better our impact will be. If you are sitting with people who don't care about Islam, will you use that as an avenue to let them know what they are saying is wrong? Or, wouldn't it be wiser to spend your time in showing your faith as something valuable and precious. It may not work either way, because eventually Allah is the one who guides and some will never be guided. But, I think it's necessary to determine how equipped you are to change something or even speak out against it. These are just my initial thoughts, I remember reading an article on backbiting and it's allowances, will look it up for you.

Anothername
08-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Firstly, I found this ayah:

“Do not concern yourself with things about which you have no knowledge. Verily, your hearing, sight, and heart all of them will be called to account” (Quran, 17:36)

And then this link, which covered what I learnt about before:

https://abdurrahman.org/2015/04/16/w...am-an-nawawee/

What Type Of Backbiting Is Permissible? – Imaam an-Nawawee « AbdurRahman.Org
Posted from al-ibaanah e-Book –-Guarding the Tongue : Imaam-an-Nawawee- http://salaf-us-saalih.com/2014/01/0...ngueimamnawawi Know that although backbiting is forbidden, it becomes permissible under certain circumstances when done for a beneficial reason. That which makes it allowable is a valid and legitimate goal, which cannot be achieved except by doing it (i.e. the backbiting). These goals can be broken…...

azc
08-01-2018, 05:56 AM
Enjoining good and forbidding evil is a good deed though but this hadith should not be forgotten.

The Prophet (Salalahu Alayhi wa salam) said:“A person who teaches goodness to others while neglecting his own soul is like an oil lamp, which illuminates others while burning itself out.”

[At-Tabarani]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
08-01-2018, 06:35 AM
“Whoever among you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand (by taking action); if he cannot, then with his tongue (by speaking out); and if he cannot, then with his heart (by hating it and feeling it is wrong), and that is the weakest of faith.” [Muslim].

Depends on your capability of effecting positive change and how much good you will be able to do without making the situation worse in Allah's sight than it is.
Backbiting is gossiping that is not aimed towards working to fix a deteriorating situation and returning to the will of Allah :swt: - but rather putting evil into people's hearts and thereby making the situation worse by spreading the normality of haraam actions.
And Allah :swt: knows best.

----

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The strong believer is more beloved to Allah than the weak believer, but there is goodness in both of them. Be eager for what benefits you, seek help from Allah, and do not be frustrated. If something befalls you, then do not say: If only I had done something else. Rather say: Allah has decreed what he wills. Verily, the phrase ‘if only’ opens the way for the work of Satan.”

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2664

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Muslim

An-Nawawi said, “‘It opens the way for the work of Satan’ means he casts into the heart opposition to the divine decree and Satan tempts him with it.”

Source: Sharḥ Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2664

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ الْمُؤْمِنُ الْقَوِيُّ خَيْرٌ وَأَحَبُّ إِلَى اللَّهِ مِنْ الْمُؤْمِنِ الضَّعِيفِ وَفِي كُلٍّ خَيْرٌ احْرِصْ عَلَى مَا يَنْفَعُكَ وَاسْتَعِنْ بِاللَّهِ وَلَا تَعْجَزْ وَإِنْ أَصَابَكَ شَيْءٌ فَلَا تَقُلْ لَوْ أَنِّي فَعَلْتُ كَانَ كَذَا وَكَذَا وَلَكِنْ قُلْ قَدَرُ اللَّهِ وَمَا شَاءَ فَعَلَ فَإِنَّ لَوْ تَفْتَحُ عَمَلَ الشَّيْطَانِ

2664 صحيح مسلم كتاب القدر باب في الأمر بالقوة وترك العجز والاستعانة بالله وتفويض المقادير لله

قال النووي فَإِنَّ لَوْ تَفْتَحُ عَمَلَ الشَّيْطَانِ أَيْ يُلْقِي فِي الْقَلْبِ مُعَارَضَةَ الْقَدَرِ وَيُوَسْوِسُ بِهِ الشَّيْطَانُ

2664 شرح النووي على مسلم

I would add that "if" in this context should only be used for learning lessons and doing better next time.

https://abuaminaelias.com/dailyhadit...divine-decree/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.