/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shia Neighbour and I am sunni...

SyedaSobia
08-08-2018, 04:54 PM
MY neighbor belongs from Shia Community and I am a Sunni Muslim. Therefore, when she sends something for us to eat what my family would normally do is that they would give it to someone else and not eat it or simply refuse to accept it from the neighbor.
But she's so nice, I couldn't refuse her and she even complained that she was hurt by the previous neighbors because they used to give away the food she shared with them. What should I do? I don't want to break her heart by refusing to take food and it's a sin as well.

Please, helpful suggestions needed.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
08-08-2018, 05:04 PM
:sl:

You never know what's in their hearts. Don't get fooled by their superficial niceness. They are very good in deception (taqiyya) and they don't leave a chance to hurt Sunnis. There are cases of them contaminating the food before distributing to Sunnis. So be careful and avoid it.

anatolian
08-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Maida:5 " This day (all) the good things are allowed to you; and the food of those who have been given the Book is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them; and the chaste from among the believing women and the chaste from among those who have been given the Book before you (are lawful for you); when you have given them their dowries, taking (them) in marriage, not fornicating nor taking them for paramours in secret; and whoever denies faith, his work indeed is of no account, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers"

سيف الله
08-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Salaam

I know we have our disagreements with the Shia but I think you should give her the benefit of the doubt, its rude otherwise. I would be considerate take her offering and thank her. My family have shia friends and acquaintances (Pakistan) and not all of them are out to get you.

If she does something untoward then you can change your mind.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Alamgir
08-09-2018, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SyedaSobia
MY neighbor belongs from Shia Community and I am a Sunni Muslim. Therefore, when she sends something for us to eat what my family would normally do is that they would give it to someone else and not eat it or simply refuse to accept it from the neighbor.
But she's so nice, I couldn't refuse her and she even complained that she was hurt by the previous neighbors because they used to give away the food she shared with them. What should I do? I don't want to break her heart by refusing to take food and it's a sin as well.

Please, helpful suggestions needed.
Asalamu Alaikum

Unless it is made specifically for a Shia festival, or it is meat prepared by the Shia, I don't think there's anything wrong in taking it.

She is being courteous to you, it would be polite to accept her gifts.

Ümit
08-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Just because someone is shia does not automatically mean he is evil.
Like Anatolian already mentioned, the food from these people are lawfull. even the meat...there is no problem in this.
Of course there is always the risk the food being contaminated on purpose with stuff which is not lawfull for us, but that risk is always present...even with muslim neighbours.
So, if your neighour is nice to you...you give him the benefit of the doubt and accept their food, just like junon has said.
unless of course you really have reasons not to trust them.

Do not be hostile to your neighbour if there is no reason for it.

Futuwwa
08-10-2018, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
:sl:

You never know what's in their hearts. Don't get fooled by their superficial niceness. They are very good in deception (taqiyya) and they don't leave a chance to hurt Sunnis. There are cases of them contaminating the food before distributing to Sunnis. So be careful and avoid it.
That's curious. I have seen the word "taqiyya" used in this sense by anti-Islamic internet warriors more times than I can remember, but this is the first time I see a Muslim use it in that sense. Go figure.

AabiruSabeel
08-10-2018, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
That's curious. I have seen the word "taqiyya" used in this sense by anti-Islamic internet warriors more times than I can remember, but this is the first time I see a Muslim use it in that sense. Go figure.
The concept of taqiya is only in Shia. In simple words, it means deception. We can't trust their outward appearance. There have been reports of them spitting in the food before distributing to Sunnis.

Watch this from their own scholar: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRtUUYpymHA

magok
08-10-2018, 09:56 PM
as long as he is nice, be nice to him

Alamgir
08-11-2018, 06:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by umie
even the meat...there is no problem in this.
Asalamu Alaikum

Incorrect, meat slaughtered by them is unlawful.

https://islamqa.info/en/60046

Ruling on meat slaughtered by the Shi‘ah (Raafidis) - islamqa.info
We live in a Shi‘i communityand you are aware of the beliefs of the Shi‘ah that are contrary to the Qur’an and Sunnahdespite the fact that they claim to be Musl...

talibilm
08-11-2018, 09:27 AM
:salams

This is to remind that Some Zionists are writing as Shias and in Shia names and trying to ridicule videos actually that against Islam saying these videos are by pro sunni supporters thus trying to legitimate a wrong Youtube video for Islam.

Such people when we write our replies the replies even do not pass through when I can see he is anti Islamist. I found them as zionists because following their posts we can see them they are extreme against Palestinians and not only islam.

So these people may intrude Sunni Muslim boards and spew all the bad things exaggerating them making the sunnis and shias fight.

The video above by bro Abiruasabeel we see the preacher with a turban doesn't even have a beard and they could be those worst people creating confusions or Allah knows the truth. So if doubtful avoid the food better (not in front of them) but still try to behave good with the neighbours in other possible ways.

jameelash
08-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Accept it and give it to non muslims poor people . Our neighbors hindus used to give us their festivel veg food which they keep it front of theirgods and then send us .since they r close with us as neighbors We without their knowing pass the food to poor people.

Ümit
08-13-2018, 06:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Khorasani
Asalamu Alaikum

Incorrect, meat slaughtered by them is unlawful.

https://islamqa.info/en/60046

Ruling on meat slaughtered by the Shi‘ah (Raafidis) - islamqa.info
We live in a Shi‘i communityand you are aware of the beliefs of the Shi‘ah that are contrary to the Qur’an and Sunnahdespite the fact that they claim to be Musl...
in the link you've send it says: "One of the conditions of meat being halaal is that the one who slaughters it must be a Muslim or a kitaabi (i.e., a Jew or a Christian)."

First of all, since you want it so detailed...most Christians we know nowadays, are NOT kitaabi. They believe in Jesus as a God and the Bible is Not the Injil.
Second, Shia's claim to be muslims. they come is different forms and idea's. Only Allah whether they are considered muslims or not.
So who are you to say whether the OP's neighbour is Muslim or not? or who is this Fatwa-writer to say whether the OP's neighbour is a muslim or not?
Therefore, this fatwa is not accurate enough.

So if you want to buy and eat their meat, you must have a detailed discussion with these people before you can say they are Muslim/kitaabi so, meat is lawfull or not.

most people know their neighbour pretty good. So if you know whether your shia neighbours idea's and what they exactly believe in, you can do an judge whether you can eat their food or not.

i know we have this rule "in doubt, choose the save choice and just avoid it" but in case of your neighbour...you might offend them.

But then...if they say they are muslim and they can pronounce the shahadah...why would you doubt?

It is a tough situation...that I agree with.

Alamgir
08-13-2018, 08:56 AM
in the link you've send it says: "One of the conditions of meat being halaal is that the one who slaughters it must be a Muslim or a kitaabi (i.e., a Jew or a Christian)."

First of all, since you want it so detailed...most Christians we know nowadays, are NOT kitaabi. They believe in Jesus as a God and the Bible is Not the Injil.
Second, Shia's claim to be muslims. they come is different forms and idea's. Only Allah whether they are considered muslims or not.
So who are you to say whether the OP's neighbour is Muslim or not? or who is this Fatwa-writer to say whether the OP's neighbour is a muslim or not?
Therefore, this fatwa is not accurate enough.

So if you want to buy and eat their meat, you must have a detailed discussion with these people before you can say they are Muslim/kitaabi so, meat is lawfull or not.

most people know their neighbour pretty good. So if you know whether your shia neighbours idea's and what they exactly believe in, you can do an judge whether you can eat their food or not.

i know we have this rule "in doubt, choose the save choice and just avoid it" but in case of your neighbour...you might offend them.

But then...if they say they are muslim and they can pronounce the shahadah...why would you doubt?

It is a tough situation...that I agree with.
I know most Christians and Jews these days don't count as being part of Ahl Al Kittab, but that's irrelevant.

People can claim to be whatever they want, I could claim that I am a tyrannosaurus, but that doesn't make it true does it? The fact is that as per orthodox Sunni Islam, most of the Shia don't count as Muslim. Their concept of the 12 Imams, their insults towards the Sahabah (May Allah Be Pleased With Them), and their praying to graves puts them beyond the pale of Islam. You might say not all of the Shia are like this, but I guarantee the overwhelming majority of them do at least one of those things.

If it will offend them so much, just take the meat and throw it in the bin later on when they're not looking. Better yet, give it to a homeless person (assuming he's not a Muslim of course).

Someone taking the Shahadah is not enough to make them a Muslim, that's just the first step. Being a Muslim is submitting to Allah (The Most Gracious and The Most Merciful) by following his words and the words of his Prophets (Peace Be Upon Them), but declaring the Shahadah is just you acknowledging that Islam is the truth. They are two different things, and you need both of them to be a Muslim.

anatolian
08-13-2018, 09:10 AM
I know most Christians and Jews these days don't count as being part of Ahl Al Kittab, but that's irrelevant.

People can claim to be whatever they want, I could claim that I am a tyrannosaurus, but that doesn't make it true does it? The fact is that as per orthodox Sunni Islam, most of the Shia don't count as Muslim. Their concept of the 12 Imams, their insults towards the Sahabah (May Allah Be Pleased With Them), and their praying to graves puts them beyond the pale of Islam. You might say not all of the Shia are like this, but I guarantee the overwhelming majority of them do at least one of those things.

If it will offend them so much, just take the meat and throw it in the bin later on when they're not looking. Better yet, give it to a homeless person (assuming he's not a Muslim of course).

Someone taking the Shahadah is not enough to make them a Muslim, that's just the first step. Being a Muslim is submitting to Allah (The Most Gracious and The Most Merciful) by following his words and the words of his Prophets (Peace Be Upon Them), but declaring the Shahadah is just you acknowledging that Islam is the truth. They are two different things, and you need both of them to be a Muslim.
Salam. Is there an orthodoxy in Islam? If so, who/what defines it? I believe you saw that I quoted an ayah from Quran which made us think that it is permissible to eat the foods of shias since they are at least closer to us than jews and christians. Do you have something for my assertion?

Ümit
08-13-2018, 12:19 PM

You claiming to be a tyranosaurus is not the same. the point here is, you cannot check whether someone is truely a Muslim or not.
What would you do if your halal butcher where you always buy your meat turns out to be a kafir? he just pretended to be a Muslim so he could sell a lot of "halal meat"?

You never know who is truely a Muslim and who is not right?

So, since we cannot look into peoples hearts...and we cannot know their true intentions...we must rely on his words. If he says he is a Muslim, then we have no right to doubt that...unless of course there are other reasons for doubt.

people who reject the Quran are kafirs per definition but appearantly still reliable consume their meat if they are Jews or Christians...We do not have to check whether they really are Christians, do we? but if we did, how would we know? do we then have to have knowledge about the Injil and Thorah in order to judge wwhether we can buy meat from a Christian or Jew? sound kind of ridiculous don't you think? Or do you think that is the intention?

So why is that different from Shia's? is a Shia worse than someone who openly rejects the Quran and our Prophet SAS?

So I think, there should be drawn a line somewhere where you can say...hey, this guy claims he is a Muslim / Christian / Jew, he is really nice to me...I have no reasons to doubt him, so I can buy and eat his meat without worrying.

Besides, you are talking about "most of "Shia's are not Muslim". most of them, means not all of them. and this alone already invalidates the given fatwa, that Shia meat is not Halal.

And then at last: do you think you are allowed to give haram food to a non-Muslim? Don't you think this non-muslim will complain about you in thehereafter that you have given him haraam food?

Alamgir
08-13-2018, 01:13 PM
You claiming to be a tyranosaurus is not the same. the point here is, you cannot check whether someone is truely a Muslim or not.
What would you do if your halal butcher where you always buy your meat turns out to be a kafir? he just pretended to be a Muslim so he could sell a lot of "halal meat"?

You never know who is truely a Muslim and who is not right?

So, since we cannot look into peoples hearts...and we cannot know their true intentions...we must rely on his words. If he says he is a Muslim, then we have no right to doubt that...unless of course there are other reasons for doubt.

people who reject the Quran are kafirs per definition but appearantly still reliable consume their meat if they are Jews or Christians...We do not have to check whether they really are Christians, do we? but if we did, how would we know? do we then have to have knowledge about the Injil and Thorah in order to judge wwhether we can buy meat from a Christian or Jew? sound kind of ridiculous don't you think? Or do you think that is the intention?

So why is that different from Shia's? is a Shia worse than someone who openly rejects the Quran and our Prophet SAS?

So I think, there should be drawn a line somewhere where you can say...hey, this guy claims he is a Muslim / Christian / Jew, he is really nice to me...I have no reasons to doubt him, so I can buy and eat his meat without worrying.

Besides, you are talking about "most of "Shia's are not Muslim". most of them, means not all of them. and this alone already invalidates the given fatwa, that Shia meat is not Halal.

And then at last: do you think you are allowed to give haram food to a non-Muslim? Don't you think this non-muslim will complain about you in thehereafter that you have given him haraam food?
You can make an educated guess on whether or not somebody is Muslim in many circumstances. This is one of them.

If I found out someone lied to me about being a halal butcher, I wouldn't consume meat from them anymore, and I would spread the word to others. I'd also speak to the authorities so that they could do something about it.

Most people these days are not practising Christians or Jews, so by default we must not accept meat from them either.

A Shia is not classified as Muslim, and they are not Ahl Al Kittab either. So they fall into the same category as anyone else would.

What you think has no Islamic basis, but if you want to think that, go ahead. I'm not answerable for it, you are.

The overwhelming majority of the Shia are not Muslim. Not most, the overwhelming majority. You cannot take that risk, we must act based on how the majority of them are.

No, because they'd either be in hell for not dying as a Muslim, or they'd die as a Muslim/in a state of ignorance, and therefore not held accountable for something like this which they were not aware of was haram at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Salam. Is there an orthodoxy in Islam? If so, who/what defines it? I believe you saw that I quoted an ayah from Quran which made us think that it is permissible to eat the foods of shias since they are at least closer to us than jews and christians. Do you have something for my assertion?
Walaikum Asalam

Yes, there is. It is the way of the Salaf.

You cannot quote Ayat yourself, you're not a scholar. I would rather trust the fatwa of someone who has actually studied Islam rather than someone on the internet.

alfaqir
08-13-2018, 01:14 PM
you know your neighbor better than us. basicly you want us to decide instead of you if your neighbor is muslim or not? what do you think about her? I can only say if i had a nice neighbor who says s/he is a muslim, then i would accept the offered food unless i see some obvious act against it (i dunno, seeing the same neighbor eating bacon and drinking beer...), but otherwise i am in no position to police and judge what is in their heart and mind. if they only pretended then they only fool themselves in the end...

as far as i know the shia dietary rules are quite similar, or they have even more restrictive dietary rules than sunnis, some more things are considered to be prohibited in their fiqh.

Enjoy your meal (your own or your neighbor's) :)

aafiak
08-13-2018, 01:23 PM
I haven't read or heard anything regarding neighbor sect or religion in Islam before, to be good to them.
What I've got teachings from the Islam is to good with your neighbors.
To be good means, to have a trust on them whatever the religion or practices they are following shouldn't concern you.
Do keep in mind that this is Islam, it is about humanity & love.

anatolian
08-13-2018, 03:07 PM
You can make an educated guess on whether or not somebody is Muslim in many circumstances. This is one of them.

If I found out someone lied to me about being a halal butcher, I wouldn't consume meat from them anymore, and I would spread the word to others. I'd also speak to the authorities so that they could do something about it.

Most people these days are not practising Christians or Jews, so by default we must not accept meat from them either.

A Shia is not classified as Muslim, and they are not Ahl Al Kittab either. So they fall into the same category as anyone else would.

What you think has no Islamic basis, but if you want to think that, go ahead. I'm not answerable for it, you are.

The overwhelming majority of the Shia are not Muslim. Not most, the overwhelming majority. You cannot take that risk, we must act based on how the majority of them are.

No, because they'd either be in hell for not dying as a Muslim, or they'd die as a Muslim/in a state of ignorance, and therefore not held accountable for something like this which they were not aware of was haram at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Walaikum Asalam

Yes, there is. It is the way of the Salaf.

You cannot quote Ayat yourself, you're not a scholar. I would rather trust the fatwa of someone who has actually studied Islam rather than someone on the internet.
Ok let me rephrase the question. What do you understand from Maida:5 ?

Alamgir
08-13-2018, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Ok let me rephrase the question. What do you understand from Maida:5 ?
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...=818&Itemid=60

That's what I understand about Surah Al Ma'idah, Ayah 5.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.