/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should we follow a madhab ?

your_ukht
08-20-2018, 06:13 PM
Assalamu Alaikum WA Rahmatu Allahi Wa Barakatuhu brothers and sisters

It's been some time that I hear that we should follow a madhab but also there are others sayings it's not necessary. I'm a bit confused ,what should I do?

Could you please give me some detailed information about this?

Jazakumu Allahu Khairan

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anatolian
08-20-2018, 07:27 PM
If you are confused, you most probably should follow a madhab yes. As you know our primary source is Quran but we also have a huge Hadith collection and majority of us do not have enough knowledge of Quran and Hadith to act upon for our religious life. These four imams, Abu Hanifa, Sha'afi, Malik and Ahmed bin Hanbel studied all and made "package programs" for the layman like us. A vast majority of Sunni Muslims follow one of these imams either so depending on from which source you have learnt Islam, I can tell you that you are already following at least one of them even though you do not know which one. However, it is still better to chose one and specifically follow it since they differ in some issues so dont get confused each time how to act in such cases. The easiest way is to follow the madhab of your local community if they predominantly follow one of them. Here in Turkey the majority of Sunnis follow the Hanafi madhab so I follow it.

Alamgir
08-20-2018, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by your_ukht
Assalamu Alaikum WA Rahmatu Allahi Wa Barakatuhu brothers and sisters

It's been some time that I hear that we should follow a madhab but also there are others sayings it's not necessary. I'm a bit confused ,what should I do?

Could you please give me some detailed information about this?

Jazakumu Allahu Khairan
Asalamu Alaikum

You can restrict yourself to a single mazhab if you want, but it's not required. All that is required is that you listen to the scholars of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'ah.

There are benefits and drawbacks to following a single mazhab, you need to think about them and decide for yourself.

فصيح الياسين
08-21-2018, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Khorasani
Asalamu Alaikum

You can restrict yourself to a single mazhab if you want, but it's not required. All that is required is that you listen to the scholars of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'ah.

There are benefits and drawbacks to following a single mazhab, you need to think about them and decide for yourself.
I will like to knw the drawbacks then

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
urkahnkhan
08-21-2018, 02:59 PM
No Don't follow a Madhab but you can use the things you agree with from these ulema after verifying it yourself from the Quran and the Sunnah. The Salaf didn't follow Madhabs but only the real sources (Quran and Sunnah) because the 4 Madhab didn't exist and saying I follow a madhab could be something of a bid'ah but use them as what you agree with and leave the rest you don't but always verify the info you take from them and don't call yourself belonging to any madhab because it's unnecessary division and you are follower of Islam and your messenger is Muhammed(sa) Follow the Quran and Sunnah (the 6 Six books)

Alamgir
08-21-2018, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فصيح الياسين
I will like to knw the drawbacks then
1. You are engaging in blind following rather than following the ruling that has the most evidence.
2. It segregates Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'ah into different groups.
3. Many scholars who follow a particular mazhab are very Sufi-esque and this can lead to you committing bid'ah.
4. One could argue purely following a particular mazhab in and of itself is a bid'ah.

your_ukht
08-21-2018, 08:55 PM
Ya Allaah [emoji24] Now I'm really lost. I don't know who I should listen to

your_ukht
08-21-2018, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
If you are confused, you most probably should follow a madhab yes. As you know our primary source is Quran but we also have a huge Hadith collection and majority of us do not have enough knowledge of Quran and Hadith to act upon for our religious life. These four imams, Abu Hanifa, Sha'afi, Malik and Ahmed bin Hanbel studied all and made "package programs" for the layman like us. A vast majority of Sunni Muslims follow one of these imams either so depending on from which source you have learnt Islam, I can tell you that you are already following at least one of them even though you do not know which one. However, it is still better to chose one and specifically follow it since they differ in some issues so dont get confused each time how to act in such cases. The easiest way is to follow the madhab of your local community if they predominantly follow one of them. Here in Turkey the majority of Sunnis follow the Hanafi madhab so I follow it.
This seems to make more sense to me. Allah knows best. I'll pray istikhara and ask Allah to guide me and after I'll see إن شاء الله

جزاكم الله خيرا

Abz2000
08-21-2018, 10:39 PM
The reason for following a madhab is so that unity upon way of life i.e communal guidelines -are uniform - it is a concept of the caliph either bringing scholars together on questions of legislation - or simply implementing the rulings of one of these four imams who were endued with high intellect and devoted their lives to jurisprudence.

It is basically making the concept of "we hear and we obey" simplified - however much needs continual revision in light of knowledge gained over time, yet the ummah has not since found any imams to unite under in the way these respected men were accepted by the people.

The only time a madhab becomes an issue is when a scholar states a plain undeniable fact and he is shouted down for having dared to go above any of the four - whilst in the same breath - one benefit (amongst many) of following these imams has been that many unruly kings have been prevented from using puppet scholars to misinterpret Quran and ahadith based on whim since these four sincere and truthful jurists have gone through most of the questions which usually arise in detail - and like with highly respected doctors whom junior doctors dare not take the risk of contradicting, most scholars bow their heads in humility to them after accepting that they were most likely possessors of much higher iq than themselves.

With all that said, the duty of each individual is to walk the straight path in anticipation of final judgement by Allah :swt: - and in the absence of a caliph to whom "we hear and we obey is due" these four jurists are usually accepted in the place of absent trustworthy leadership - even yet, each individual will be judged by Allah :swt: and if the individual is certain of the validity in Allah's sight of a better ruling - it should be followed in order to affirm obedience to Allah :swt: and in order to avoid shirk of the scholars with Allah :swt: with the knowledge that the four scholars will not accept responsibility for anybody else's mistakes or wrongs on the day of judgement.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Ümit
08-23-2018, 07:20 AM
There are several aspects here that I find a bit disturbing.
I will try to explain myself here what I mean.
In no case I am trying to attack people, so please do not feel attacked with this post.
@Abz2000 :
If I repeat what you've been saying, then I'm sorry...it is because you have a pretty complex languange, and I did not quite understand your post.

1. I hear claims that following a madhab is a sort of Bidah.
2. I hear claims that we should only accept the things we agree on from the madhabs.
3. I hear we must check and verify everything ourselves first before accepting.

4. But I also hear claims that we normal people cannot understand the true meanings of the verses and sunnah and we always need a sjeich or Alim to help us with that and to follow.

I find these claims disturbing because they seem contradictory to each other and go against what I know about this myself.

The four madhabs were founded by the four great scholars and imams who dedicated their lifes to Islam. They were located on four different locations, each with their own culture and local rules, they each faced different situations and solved different problems and complexities. On top of that, they were four different individuals with different intellect and point of views.

Yet, despite of all these differences, the four schools only differ from each other in details. They had to use the same fiqh on complex situations to solve...and every lawman can do that a little on his own way...because even though the fiqh is standarized, the difficulties ones can face in a everyday situation are not...those situations are not black and white....so the outcome may slightly differ, depending on which judge is on the case.

In short
1. Even the four Schools may differ from each other...all four are lawfull...and none of them can be accused of Bidah.
2. You get to pick one of the schools and stick with it...you may change your school to another one if you can identify yourself better with that one...however, you don't get to cherrypick rules from them, nor you can toggle between schools whenever you like.
3. in the last centuries millions and millions of people have walked in the path of one of these four schools. the vast majority of muslims follow one of these schools.
Among them are/were many Alim, scholars, imams, intelligent people...do you think you are the first one who checks and verifies each rule?
Don't you think that if there really was the case of Bidah, you would not hear about that?
4. Usually the Salafi's claim that we always have to follow an Alim, because without it, we cannot understand the Quraan...so Who has a wiser Alim than one of these four great people?
And you can follow your own Alim blindly but you cannot follow one of these four mostly trusted schools blindly?

Excuse me for my hard words here, but some of the voices do not add up.

Abz2000
08-23-2018, 09:57 AM
- - - Updated - - -
@umie - jzk for your perspective, i would simply state that the four schools are not four re-legions, they were simply schools or circles set up by very knowledgeable and highly intelligent men.

The main duty of any individual is to get to the scales on the day of judgement with more good than injustice on his/her record, the more good and the less injustice -the higher the grading.
Since Allah :swt: is the judge and since injustice is impossible to avoid if made subjective to the whim of each individual it is necessary to measure by Allah's rule.
To measure by Allah's rule, a person must seek the guidance of Allah :swt: and do his/her best to walk straight.

The Prophets who received plainly spelled out direct guidance via revelation and also powerful inspiration from Allah :swt: via the pure spirit, their companions/disciples, the scholars and their students were followers and seekers of the guidance of Allah :swt: and are ALL subject to judgement by Allah :swt:
Therefore the objective is to simply do one's best to obey Allah :swt: by seeking to do what pleases Him.

If a valid authority legislates in obedience to Allah :swt: and instructs us in matters - our duty is to hear and to obey for the sake of unity.
But to claim that only any one of the respected four (dead) scholars, or george washington and benjamin franklin, or any other "founding father" deserve our bayaah until the day of judgement in order to please Allah :swt: is to risk falling into shirk and unlawful bida'ah.
Those prophets and awliyaa (saints) to whom they call besides Allah :swt: are fellow servants who seek for themselves means of nearness to Allah :swt: and humbly call upon Allah.

Recall Abu Bakr's statement to the confused people:
If any of you worshipped Muhammad - know that he is dead. Those of you who worship Allah - know that He lives and never dies.....

The only time one can use rulings as community legislation is:
1. If the person legislating has valid authority in Allah's sight to force people to hear and to obey - and to punish people if they do not.
2. If the people listening are willing to accept his/her advice and are personally willing to hear and to obey.

Al-Muddaththir 74:38

كُلُّ نَفْسٍۭ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ رَهِينَةٌ

English - Mohsin Khan/Taqi-ud-Din al-Hilali

Every person is a pledge for what he has earned,

English - Mufti Taqi Usmani

Everyone will be detained (in the Hell) because of what he did,

English - Pickthall

Every soul is a pledge for its own deeds;

English - Sahih International

Every soul, for what it has earned, will be retained

English - Yusuf Ali

Every soul will be (held) in pledge for its deeds.

English - Abdul Haleem

Every soul is held in pledge for its deeds,

Bengali - Mujibur Rahman

প্রত্যেক ব্যক্তি নিজ কৃতকর্মের দায়ে আবদ্ধ।

Bengali - Muhiuddin Khan

প্রত্যেক ব্যক্তি তার কৃতকর্মের জন্য দায়ী;

Bengali - Fozlur Rahman

প্রত্যেকেই তার কৃতকর্মের দায়ে আবদ্ধ;

Bengali - Bayaan Foundation

প্রতিটি প্রাণ নিজ অর্জনের কারণে দায়বদ্ধ।

Urdu - Muhammad Junagarhi

ہر شخص اپنے اعمال کے بدلے میں گروی ہے

Urdu - Abul A'ala Maududi

ہر متنفس، اپنے کسب کے بدلے رہن ہے

get Quran App:https://goo.gl/w6rESk

Ümit
08-23-2018, 10:52 AM
@Abz2000 :

So if I understand you correctly:
-The four schools are lawfull and are free from bidah.
-Every individual has the duty to find the best possible path he/she can find in his/her ability and follow that path...if that means to follow one of the four schools, than he must do that.
-To follow one of the four schools is a safe way to walk on the right path.
-To say that one of the four schools are the only way is Bidah.
-To pray to those leaders or prophets or mention their names in prayer is shirk.

I can agree to this.
of course you must test and verify as much as you can and try to find the best path possible.
we muslims also have the duty to obey our lawfull leaders. even if it looks like not right...if the leader is righteous, then he has his reasons for that and we must still follow.
and of course we do not pray to any leader or prophet...we walk on the path they showed us, but we pray to Allah only.

Abz2000
08-23-2018, 01:05 PM
@umie

What i am saying is that the four schools are simply schools, and that it is Allah :swt: Who's acknowledgement and approval should be sought.
When we think of the term ANNUIT COEPTIS and the related ahadith - it teaches us a lot.
Tawheed and obedience to Allah :swt: take priority in all matters.

Az-Zumar 39:41

إِنَّآ أَنزَلْنَا عَلَيْكَ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ لِلنَّاسِ بِٱلْحَقِّۖ فَمَنِ ٱهْتَدَىٰ فَلِنَفْسِهِۦۖ وَمَن ضَلَّ فَإِنَّمَا يَضِلُّ عَلَيْهَاۖ وَمَآ أَنتَ عَلَيْهِم بِوَكِيلٍ

Indeed, We sent down to you the Book for the people in truth. So whoever is guided - it is for [the benefit of] his soul; and whoever goes astray only goes astray to its detriment. And you are not a manager over them.

If we understand the four jurists to be teachers who were human rather than intercessors or mediums - and that it is ultimately our own intentions and deeds that are being evaluated - we will do better.

Consider - should a doctor at the operating table be only looking at what his teachers said - or should he be sincerely and justly doing what will heal the patient in the best way possible? Is it even his own whims or betraying the rules of operating by interpreting them wrongly with a self-deceiving wink and a nod that will heal the patient - or is it more a case of honestly, sincerely, and justly considering all the facts and possible outcomes with the best interests of the patient at heart whilst knowing that he/she is himself/herself accountable?

أَمِ ٱتَّخَذُوا۟ مِن دُونِ ٱللَّهِ شُفَعَآءَۚ قُلْ أَوَلَوْ كَانُوا۟ لَا يَمْلِكُونَ شَيْـًٔا وَلَا يَعْقِلُونَ

Or have they taken other than Allah as intercessors? Say, "Even though they do not possess [power over] anything, nor do they reason?"

قُل لِّلَّهِ ٱلشَّفَٰعَةُ جَمِيعًاۖ لَّهُۥ مُلْكُ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضِۖ ثُمَّ إِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

Say, "To Allah belongs [the right to allow] intercession entirely. To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. Then to Him you will be returned."

وَإِذَا ذُكِرَ ٱللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ ٱشْمَأَزَّتْ قُلُوبُ ٱلَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِٱلْءَاخِرَةِۖ وَإِذَا ذُكِرَ ٱلَّذِينَ مِن دُونِهِۦٓ إِذَا هُمْ يَسْتَبْشِرُونَ

And when Allah is mentioned alone, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter shrink with aversion, but when those [worshipped] other than Him are mentioned, immediately they rejoice.

قُلِ ٱللَّهُمَّ فَاطِرَ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضِ عَٰلِمَ ٱلْغَيْبِ وَٱلشَّهَٰدَةِ أَنتَ تَحْكُمُ بَيْنَ عِبَادِكَ فِى مَا كَانُوا۟ فِيهِ يَخْتَلِفُونَ

Say, "O Allah, Creator of the heavens and the earth, Knower of the unseen and the witnessed, You will judge between your servants concerning that over which they used to differ."

وَلَوْ أَنَّ لِلَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا۟ مَا فِى ٱلْأَرْضِ جَمِيعًا وَمِثْلَهُۥ مَعَهُۥ لَٱفْتَدَوْا۟ بِهِۦ مِن سُوٓءِ ٱلْعَذَابِ يَوْمَ ٱلْقِيَٰمَةِۚ وَبَدَا لَهُم مِّنَ ٱللَّهِ مَا لَمْ يَكُونُوا۟ يَحْتَسِبُونَ

And if those who did wrong had all that is in the earth entirely and the like of it with it, they would [attempt to] ransom themselves thereby from the worst of the punishment on the Day of Resurrection. And there will appear to them from Allah that which they had not taken into account.

Az-Zumar 43-47

Writing volumes of legislation about who should be followed besides Allah :swt: would only serve to confuse and obscure the issue in different contexts - the best thing to do is to consider oneself as growing up in a jungle and and knowing that one's actions and intentions with all circumstances are being taken into account on scales of justice.
you come across many different people with many different opinions on you way to death, ressurection, judgement, and reward or punishment.
What information should you follow other than the just truth with the best exercise of your intellect?

Consider the following hadith in respect to the Prophet :saws: himself who was amongst the most authoritative and wise judges amongst humans to walk upon this planet - and his absolving himself before the judgement of Allah :swt: :

(5)
Chapter: The Ruling Of A judge Does Not Make What Is Permissible Forbidden, and what is forbidden permissible.

(5)
باب قَضِيَّةِ الْحَاكِمِ لاَ تُحِلُّ حَرَامًا وَلاَ تُحَرِّمُ حَلاَلاً

It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:

“I am only human, and some of you may be more eloquent in presenting your case than others. If I pass a judgement in his favor that detracts from his brother's rights, I am giving him a piece of fire.”

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ بِشْرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَمْرٍو، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ إِنَّمَا أَنَا بَشَرٌ وَلَعَلَّ بَعْضَكُمْ أَنْ يَكُونَ أَلْحَنَ بِحُجَّتِهِ مِنْ بَعْضٍ فَمَنْ قَطَعْتُ لَهُ مِنْ حَقِّ أَخِيهِ قِطْعَةً فَإِنَّمَا أَقْطَعُ لَهُ قِطْعَةً مِنَ النَّارِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Grade : Hasan (Darussalam)
Reference : Sunan Ibn Majah 2318
In-book reference : Book 13, Hadith 11
English translation : Vol. 3, Book 13, Hadith 2318

(6)
Chapter: When One Exhorts His Closest Kinsmen

(6)
باب إِذَا أَوْصَى لِعَشِيرَتِهِ الأَقْرَبِينَ

It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said:
"The Messenger of Allah said, when the Verse: 'And warn your tribe (O Muhammad) of near kindred.' was revealed: 'O Quraish! Buy your souls from your Lord; I cannot avail you anything before Allah. O Banu 'Abdul-Muttalib! I cannot avail you anything before Allah. O 'Abbas bin 'Abdul-Muttalib! I cannot avail you anything before Allah. O Safiyyah, paternal aunt of the Messenger of Allah! I cannot avail you anything before Allah. O Fatimah daughter of Muhammad! Ask me for whatever you want, I cannot avail you anything before Allah.'"

أَخْبَرَنَا سُلَيْمَانُ بْنُ دَاوُدَ، عَنِ ابْنِ وَهْبٍ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِي يُونُسُ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِي سَعِيدُ بْنُ الْمُسَيَّبِ، وَأَبُو سَلَمَةَ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حِينَ أُنْزِلَ عَلَيْهِ ‏{‏وَأَنْذِرْ عَشِيرَتَكَ الأَقْرَبِينَ‏}‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ يَا مَعْشَرَ قُرَيْشٍ اشْتَرُوا أَنْفُسَكُمْ مِنَ اللَّهِ لاَ أُغْنِي عَنْكُمْ مِنَ اللَّهِ شَيْئًا يَا بَنِي عَبْدِ الْمُطَّلِبِ لاَ أُغْنِي عَنْكُمْ مِنَ اللَّهِ شَيْئًا يَا عَبَّاسُ بْنَ عَبْدِ الْمُطَّلِبِ لاَ أُغْنِي عَنْكَ مِنَ اللَّهِ شَيْئًا يَا صَفِيَّةُ عَمَّةَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم لاَ أُغْنِي عَنْكِ مِنَ اللَّهِ شَيْئًا يَا فَاطِمَةُ بِنْتَ مُحَمَّدٍ سَلِينِي مَا شِئْتِ لاَ أُغْنِي عَنْكِ مِنَ اللَّهِ شَيْئًا ‏"‏‏.‏

Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)
Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 3646
In-book reference : Book 30, Hadith 36
English translation : Vol. 4, Book 30, Hadith 3676

Definition of discretion
1 a : individual choice or judgment

left the decision to his discretion

b : power of free decision or latitude of choice within certain legal bounds

reached the age of discretion

2 : the quality of having or showing discernment or good judgment : the quality of being discreet : circumspection; especially : cautious reserve in speech
3 : ability to make responsible decisions
4 : the result of separating or distinguishing

Examples of discretion in a Sentence

Though it is worth noting that to live in a place where other people come just for pleasure has the odd effect of making me feel transient, while the visitors seem more fixed and permanent in their lives, coming as they do from more conventional homes far away. It is as if I am always waiting for them and am here at their discretion. —Richard Ford, Wall Street Journal, 14-15 June 2008
In Texas "capital" murder doesn't necessarily mean a death-penalty case; it's the designation for any aggravated murder, and prosecutors have full discretion in deciding whether to seek death in such cases. —John Cloud, Time, 14 July 2003
Del Monte was a courtier, bureaucrat, diplomat and politician born and bred and he understood the need for discretion. —Peter Robb, The Man Who Became Caravaggio, (1998) 1999

Each artist in the gallery has discretion over the price that will be charged for his or her work.

The coach used his own discretion to let the injured quarterback play.

He always uses care and discretion when dealing with others.

She handled the awkward situation with great discretion.

Recent Examples of discretion from the Web

Republicans in Congress aren’t happy about this exercise of executive discretion but have done nothing to constrain it.

greg ip, WSJ, "The Supreme Court Won’t Stop Executive Overreach," 11 July 2018
The Department of Justice, by contrast, like most policing agencies, has a strong culture of prosecutorial discretion.

margo schlanger, Washington Post, "You’ve heard the calls to #AbolishICE. Here’s what that could mean.," 9 July 2018
Bank managers and their bosses have lots of discretion in offering interest rates, cash payments, and other inducements to get your money.

sean p. murphy, BostonGlobe.com, "Pay attention to the tiny type when opening — and closing — a money market account," 4 July 2018

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discretion

Al-An'am 6:114

أَفَغَيْرَ ٱللَّهِ أَبْتَغِى حَكَمًا وَهُوَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أَنزَلَ إِلَيْكُمُ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ مُفَصَّلًاۚ وَٱلَّذِينَ ءَاتَيْنَٰهُمُ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ يَعْلَمُونَ أَنَّهُۥ مُنَزَّلٌ مِّن رَّبِّكَ بِٱلْحَقِّۖ فَلَا تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ ٱلْمُمْتَرِينَ

[Say], "Then is it other than Allah I should seek as judge while it is He who has revealed to you the Book explained in detail?" And those to whom We [previously] gave the Scripture know that it is sent down from your Lord in truth, so never be among the doubters.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.