/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swearing on the Quran (Pressured into it)

youngman
08-27-2018, 04:54 AM
Hello brothers and sisters,

I come here today to ask for your advice. Me and a good friend were introduced to marijuana last summer for the first time by some of our friends. It was quite an experience both good and bad. So me and my good friend decided to do it a second time, long story short we were caught by his mother as we were very inexperienced with it. This was about a year ago and we look back and laugh about it but one thing she made us do was put our hand on the Quran and swear we'd never do it again. I did it as I was too embarrassed to deny her in her face.

Lately, me and my friend wanted to smoke marijuana again. I know it is haram and I am not proud of it. And I know lying is haram too but we were pressured into swearing on the Quran. So I come to ask what should I do? I understand smoking marijuana is haram and if you're just going to post that i ask you not to, but to give me some advice.

I heard something about feeding 10 homeless people if you swore and lied on the Quran, I am willing to do so beforehand. Would that allow me to smoke again?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ümit
08-27-2018, 07:10 AM
what kind of answer do you expect from us?

that, if you feed 10 homeless people that you can buy your sin?

do you think rich people can buy their way into heaven?

you are going to smoke weed anyways no matter what advise you get from here...so do not look for excuses for doing it.

Abz2000
08-27-2018, 10:24 AM
The ruling for expiation of solid lawful oaths is to give value and weight to testimony in the mind of the oath taker and to elevate people by making them upright and respectable and to increase trustworthiness and security in society - oaths and expiation are not enjoined for the sake of debasing people and enabling wrong.

The difference between a mu-min and a munaafiq is intentions - whether for the sake of pleasing Allah :swt: - or for the sake of rebelling.

At-Taubah 9:62

يَحْلِفُونَ بِٱللَّهِ لَكُمْ لِيُرْضُوكُمْ وَٱللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُۥٓ أَحَقُّ أَن يُرْضُوهُ إِن كَانُوا۟ مُؤْمِنِينَ

They swear by Allah to you [Muslims] to satisfy you. But Allah and His Messenger are more worthy for them to satisfy, if they should be believers.

Al-Baqarah 2:9

يُخَٰدِعُونَ ٱللَّهَ وَٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ وَمَا يَخْدَعُونَ إِلَّآ أَنفُسَهُمْ وَمَا يَشْعُرُونَ

They [think to] deceive Allah and those who believe, but they deceive not except themselves and perceive [it] not.

Al-Ma'idah 5:89

لَا يُؤَاخِذُكُمُ ٱللَّهُ بِٱللَّغْوِ فِىٓ أَيْمَٰنِكُمْ وَلَٰكِن يُؤَاخِذُكُم بِمَا عَقَّدتُّمُ ٱلْأَيْمَٰنَۖ فَكَفَّٰرَتُهُۥٓ إِطْعَامُ عَشَرَةِ مَسَٰكِينَ مِنْ أَوْسَطِ مَا تُطْعِمُونَ أَهْلِيكُمْ أَوْ كِسْوَتُهُمْ أَوْ تَحْرِيرُ رَقَبَةٍۖ فَمَن لَّمْ يَجِدْ فَصِيَامُ ثَلَٰثَةِ أَيَّامٍۚ ذَٰلِكَ كَفَّٰرَةُ أَيْمَٰنِكُمْ إِذَا حَلَفْتُمْۚ وَٱحْفَظُوٓا۟ أَيْمَٰنَكُمْۚ كَذَٰلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ ٱللَّهُ لَكُمْ ءَايَٰتِهِۦ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ

Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths. So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] - then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful.

Al-Baqarah 2:224

وَلَا تَجْعَلُوا۟ ٱللَّهَ عُرْضَةً لِّأَيْمَٰنِكُمْ أَن تَبَرُّوا۟ وَتَتَّقُوا۟ وَتُصْلِحُوا۟ بَيْنَ ٱلنَّاسِۗ وَٱللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ

And do not make [your oath by] Allah an excuse against being righteous and fearing Allah and making peace among people. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.

Al-Baqarah 2:225

لَّا يُؤَاخِذُكُمُ ٱللَّهُ بِٱللَّغْوِ فِىٓ أَيْمَٰنِكُمْ وَلَٰكِن يُؤَاخِذُكُم بِمَا كَسَبَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْۗ وَٱللَّهُ غَفُورٌ حَلِيمٌ

Allah does not impose blame upon you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He imposes blame upon you for what your hearts have earned. And Allah is Forgiving and Forbearing.

Al-Mujadila 58:16

ٱتَّخَذُوٓا۟ أَيْمَٰنَهُمْ جُنَّةً فَصَدُّوا۟ عَن سَبِيلِ ٱللَّهِ فَلَهُمْ عَذَابٌ مُّهِينٌ

They took their [false] oaths as a cover, so they averted [people] from the way of Allah, and for them is a humiliating punishment.

At-Taubah 9:12

وَإِن نَّكَثُوٓا۟ أَيْمَٰنَهُم مِّنۢ بَعْدِ عَهْدِهِمْ وَطَعَنُوا۟ فِى دِينِكُمْ فَقَٰتِلُوٓا۟ أَئِمَّةَ ٱلْكُفْرِۙ إِنَّهُمْ لَآ أَيْمَٰنَ لَهُمْ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَنتَهُونَ

And if they break their oaths after their treaty and defame your religion, then fight the leaders of disbelief, for indeed, there are no oaths [sacred] to them; [fight them that] they might cease.

An-Nisa' 4:62

فَكَيْفَ إِذَآ أَصَٰبَتْهُم مُّصِيبَةٌۢ بِمَا قَدَّمَتْ أَيْدِيهِمْ ثُمَّ جَآءُوكَ يَحْلِفُونَ بِٱللَّهِ إِنْ أَرَدْنَآ إِلَّآ إِحْسَٰنًا وَتَوْفِيقًا

So how [will it be] when disaster strikes them because of what their hands have put forth and then they come to you swearing by Allah, "We intended nothing but good conduct and accommodation."

Al-Qalam 68:10

وَلَا تُطِعْ كُلَّ حَلَّافٍ مَّهِينٍ

And do not obey every worthless habitual swearer.

Al-Qalam 68:11

هَمَّازٍ مَّشَّآءٍۭ بِنَمِيمٍ

[And] scorner, going about with malicious gossip -

Al-Qalam 68:12

مَّنَّاعٍ لِّلْخَيْرِ مُعْتَدٍ أَثِيمٍ

A preventer of good, transgressing and sinful,

Al-Qalam 68:13

عُتُلٍّۭ بَعْدَ ذَٰلِكَ زَنِيمٍ

Cruel, moreover, and an illegitimate pretender.

Al-Qalam 68:14

أَن كَانَ ذَا مَالٍ وَبَنِينَ

Because he is a possessor of wealth and children,

Al-Qalam 68:15

إِذَا تُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِ ءَايَٰتُنَا قَالَ أَسَٰطِيرُ ٱلْأَوَّلِينَ

When Our verses are recited to him, he says, "Legends of the former peoples."

Al-Qalam 68:16

سَنَسِمُهُۥ عَلَى ٱلْخُرْطُومِ

We will brand him upon the snout.

get Quran App:https://goo.gl/w6rESk

HisServant
08-30-2018, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngman
Hello brothers and sisters,

I come here today to ask for your advice. Me and a good friend were introduced to marijuana last summer for the first time by some of our friends. It was quite an experience both good and bad. So me and my good friend decided to do it a second time, long story short we were caught by his mother as we were very inexperienced with it. This was about a year ago and we look back and laugh about it but one thing she made us do was put our hand on the Quran and swear we'd never do it again. I did it as I was too embarrassed to deny her in her face.

Lately, me and my friend wanted to smoke marijuana again. I know it is haram and I am not proud of it. And I know lying is haram too but we were pressured into swearing on the Quran. So I come to ask what should I do? I understand smoking marijuana is haram and if you're just going to post that i ask you not to, but to give me some advice.

I heard something about feeding 10 homeless people if you swore and lied on the Quran, I am willing to do so beforehand. Would that allow me to smoke again?
Salaam,

You seem to respect the Quran so why not take it one step further and gain it's blessings by recitation or listening to such if you are unable to recite ( it's obligatory to learn). Perhaps, you'll find that the inner peace gained wouldn't require needing/desiring marijuana. I do know it's a confusing world for Muslims at times, we know what's best but the wrong influences are strongly pervasive. Keep reminding yourself of death, would you want to die in that state of disobedience i.e doing a haram action?

Make some efforts to stop , prolong use not good for your health etc, over-use negatively affects mind-state... This world gives delusions and distractions for discomforts and pains but in the end, it gradually turns you away from the truth (Islam) and maybe lead you down a path of self-destruction. Not saying you can't enjoy the world for there are many permissible halal activities for enjoyment.- sports, enjoying nature, traveling, spending time with loved ones, developing new interests, learning different skills. Whatever is happening whether it is boredom , bad influences, distractions required, there has been and always will be good alternatives. It took you and your friend an entire year to regress once more to marijuana; what changed? Focus, setting and achieving a goal that is permissible and attainable will give you a better 'high', what about if you set intentions to memorize portions of the Quran instead with proper Tajweed and a deadline? (as a competition to yourself- you'll find that this can be long-term and much more fulfilling with your spirituality)

And, I don't understand this entire action of "swearing on the Quran", I never came across any writings that stated this sahabah or that one made oaths on the Quran to have such and such done. We need to take accountability for our lives every single day. I'm not even certain that's an oath which is valid.

What is valid for sure however is respecting Allah, those in authority on the truth, respecting your parents, elders especially when they are encouraging against something which is wrong...respecting yourself. Like Umie said "don't look for excuses for doing it". Think about the possibility of getting addicted, (this is what I fear) best stay away from temptations and make duas for inner strength.

We want Islam to succeed then we each need to be leaders in our own right. Don't fall.

Behavioral changes that may be symptoms of marijuana addiction include:

• distorted perceptions
  • impaired coordination
  • difficulty in thinking and problem solving
  • ongoing problems with learning and memory

Additionally, several other signs of marijuana abuse are frequently visible in users:

• red, blurry, bloodshot eyes
  • constant, mucus-filled cough
  • rapid heartbeat
  • hunger, referred to as munchies
  • dry mouth
  • anxiety, paranoia, or fear
  • poor memory
  • poor coordination
  • slow reaction time
  • loss of control
  • addiction
http://www.timberlineknolls.com/drug...signs-effects/

- - - Updated - - -

Found this, answered by
Shaykh Muhammad Saalih al-Munajjid

Praise be to Allaah. Firstly:
An oath is not binding unless it is sworn by one of the names of Allaah or by one of His attributes.
Swearing on the Qur’aan is swearing by the word of Allaah which is one of His attributes. As for swearing by the Mushaf, if what is meant is the words of Allaah contained therein, then it is an Islamically acceptable oath, but if what is meant is the paper and ink, then it is an oath by something other than Allah, which is shirk, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever swears by something other than Allaah has committed an act of kufr or shirk.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1535) and Abu Dawood (3251); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Hence it is better not to swear by the Mushaf, because the Mushaf contains the words of Allaah, and it contains paper and ink.
As for putting one’s hand on the Mushaf or inside it, this is an innovated thing which some people do for emphasis to warn the one who is swearing the oath against lying.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on swearing by the Mushaf.
He (may Allaah have mercy on him) replied: It is not permissible to make vows or swear oaths except by Allaah or by one of His attributes. If a person swears by Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, then there is no need to bring the Mushaf for him to swear on it, because swearing on the Mushaf was not done at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or at the time of the Sahaabah; even after the Mushaf was compiled in book form they did not swear on it, rather a person would swear by Allaah without swearing on the Mushaf. End quote from Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb.

It says in a statement of the Islamic Fiqh Council:
2 – It is not essential for the person who is swearing the oath to place his hand on the Mushaf, Torah or Gospel when swearing for his oath to be valid, but it is permissible if the judge deems it essential so as to warn the one who is swearing the oath against lying.
3 – It is not permissible for the Muslim to place his hand on the Torah or Gospel when swearing an oath, because these copies that are in circulation are distorted and that are not in the original form that was revealed to Moosa and ‘Eesa (peace be upon them), and because the sharee’ah with which Allaah sent His Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has abrogated the laws that came before it.
End quote from Fataawa Islamiyyah (3/463)
Secondly:
If a person swears an oath then he cannot fulfil that oath, he has to offer expiation. The expiation for breaking an oath (kafaarat yameen) is explained in the answer to question no. 45676.
And Allaah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/98194

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.