/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ocd/waswas and anxiety making it incredibly difficult for me to pray. Please help i d

cinnamonrolls1
09-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Salam. Soo i used to have issues with wudu, i still kinda do... Anyway i just do wudu once now.

I have become incredibly occupied with touching any impurity and then praying etc worried incase i have impurity on me and then pray. I also worry about my clothes ( i change them a lot) and worry about touching anything
I was starting to get better from that side, now it's gone to istinja. I take ages cos i worry im not properly clean. I take ages in wudu( more than half an hr) counting instinja sometimes. I then take ages in wudu bevayse im constantly rinsing my elbows etc hands etc im worried in case i touch something bad. I also panic about " intentionally doing something that will break my wudu" eg intentionally doing a certain movement that could break my wudu or i know will have a high chance of breaking my wudu. But i don't actually want to break my wudu. It causes me to redo prayers etc all the time. I struggle to pray. I constantly think I'm invalidating my salah by talking intentionally etc. Taking loud deep breaths, and i also worry about my pronunciation of al fatiha. These worries have made me lazy to do wudu( also cos ot takes so long and I'm anxious about it) and also make me procrastinate from wudu and salah. I end up delaying my salah and praying duhr asr and maghrib and sometimes esha together. I also have missed some salah sometimes entirely and i need to make them up yet i feel so overwhelmed as i can barely pray now. Please i need help. My anxiety and scrupolous ocd about salah and wudu is ruining my life. Im always worried about salah and dreading it. I dont know what to do.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
eesa the kiwi
09-15-2018, 09:16 PM
Google Islam web. It's a fatwa sites similar to Islam qa except they usually respond quicker I think

I really feel you need advice from a scholar

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu bfw

bint e aisha
09-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah

It is Satan who is causing these wasawis. To combat these wasawis, you should recite the following as much as possible:

أعوذُ باِللهِ مِنَ الشَّيطَانِ الرَّجِيم

“I seek refuge in Allah from the rejected devil.”

لاحول ولا قوة إلا بالله

“There is no power and no strength except with Allah”

اَللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْ وَسَاوِسَ قَلْبِىْ خَشْيَتَكَ وَ ذِكْرَكَ وَ اجْعَلْ هِمَّتِىْ وَ هَوَايَ فِيْمَا تُحِبُّ وَ تَرْضَى

“O Allah! Convert the whisperings of my heart into Your fear and rememberance and divert my will and courage to the performance of deeds that please You.”

Until you can see impurity on your body then assure that you are paak. With regards to these Masa’il Galabah Zan is enough.

There is a maxim in jurisprudence

اليقين لا يزول بالشك
Certainty is not dispelled by doubt.
So as it is certain for your body to be paak then just by mere doubts you will not become impure

Completely ignore these doubts and suspicions. Never allow this to have the better over you. In spite of these thoughts occupying your mind just execute the obligations of that time. Don’t ever delay the obligation on account of any thought, no matter how serious it may be. After having practiced this for some time, by the grace of Allah Ta`ala, you will find some form of ease.

Thoughts/ Wasaawis are like Guests

They are like guests. If one made a guest feel welcome, the guest is inclined to visit again and the more welcome he is made to feel the more he will be inclined to visit. However when a guest is made to feel unwelcome he may visit once or twice and then at the continuous cool reception no self respecting person will visit again.

Similarly unwanted thoughts/Wasaawis will continue to come if attention is paid to them. If ignored they may persist for a while but eventually they will cease Insha Allah. (From the teachings of Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat).

There is a whole section on OCD and wasawis on this forum:
http://www.islamicteachings.org/foru...-ocd-wasaawis/

Do read the advices given and completely stick to them.

Never ever leave Salah. You can write on here every time you feel the need. We are here to help you out of this situation inshaAllah.

- - - Updated - - -

Limit Your Indulgence, Say the Ta`awwudh, and Move On

In addition to implementing the professional advice and guidance of a counselor, you can also try to reduce the wasawis in the following manners:

1. Establish clear limits and stick to them: 1 shower a day for 5 minutes max, 1 wudhu per prayer for 1 minute max (5 seconds on each limb), 10 seconds for washing your hands max, and so on and so forth. Once the timer is up, you stop the action, assume cleanliness, and move on.

2. Say the ta`awwudh (a`udhu billahi min ash-shaytan ir-rajim) when you hear the whispers calling you to redo an action. You can also recite surat al-Nas, which is also a dua for protection against wasawis.

3. Leave the washing area immediately and do NOT look back. Go straight into your prayer (after wudhu) or continue with your day. In other words, busy yourself and your mind before Shaytan tries to take over.

4. Trust in Allah that your prayer and purity are accepted. Remember that the sahaba and the Prophet (peace be upon him) all had less water than we do now, and without a doubt their prayers were accepted. So there is no doubt that we, who use (and waste) so much more water than they ever did, are performing our wudhu in a matter acceptable to Allah.

http://www.islamicteachings.org/foru...-purification/

May Allah ta'ala cure you completely and grant you relief and may He protect us all from wasawis. Ameen

eesa the kiwi
09-16-2018, 09:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by bint e aisha
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah

It is Satan who is causing these wasawis. To combat these wasawis, you should recite the following as much as possible:

أعوذُ باِللهِ مِنَ الشَّيطَانِ الرَّجِيم

“I seek refuge in Allah from the rejected devil.”

لاحول ولا قوة إلا بالله

“There is no power and no strength except with Allah”

اَللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْ وَسَاوِسَ قَلْبِىْ خَشْيَتَكَ وَ ذِكْرَكَ وَ اجْعَلْ هِمَّتِىْ وَ هَوَايَ فِيْمَا تُحِبُّ وَ تَرْضَى

“O Allah! Convert the whisperings of my heart into Your fear and rememberance and divert my will and courage to the performance of deeds that please You.”

Until you can see impurity on your body then assure that you are paak. With regards to these Masa’il Galabah Zan is enough.

There is a maxim in jurisprudence

اليقين لا يزول بالشك
Certainty is not dispelled by doubt.
So as it is certain for your body to be paak then just by mere doubts you will not become impure

Completely ignore these doubts and suspicions. Never allow this to have the better over you. In spite of these thoughts occupying your mind just execute the obligations of that time. Don’t ever delay the obligation on account of any thought, no matter how serious it may be. After having practiced this for some time, by the grace of Allah Ta`ala, you will find some form of ease.

Thoughts/ Wasaawis are like Guests

They are like guests. If one made a guest feel welcome, the guest is inclined to visit again and the more welcome he is made to feel the more he will be inclined to visit. However when a guest is made to feel unwelcome he may visit once or twice and then at the continuous cool reception no self respecting person will visit again.

Similarly unwanted thoughts/Wasaawis will continue to come if attention is paid to them. If ignored they may persist for a while but eventually they will cease Insha Allah. (From the teachings of Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat).

There is a whole section on OCD and wasawis on this forum:
http://www.islamicteachings.org/foru...-ocd-wasaawis/

Do read the advices given and completely stick to them.

Never ever leave Salah. You can write on here every time you feel the need. We are here to help you out of this situation inshaAllah.

- - - Updated - - -

Limit Your Indulgence, Say the Ta`awwudh, and Move On

In addition to implementing the professional advice and guidance of a counselor, you can also try to reduce the wasawis in the following manners:

1. Establish clear limits and stick to them: 1 shower a day for 5 minutes max, 1 wudhu per prayer for 1 minute max (5 seconds on each limb), 10 seconds for washing your hands max, and so on and so forth. Once the timer is up, you stop the action, assume cleanliness, and move on.

2. Say the ta`awwudh (a`udhu billahi min ash-shaytan ir-rajim) when you hear the whispers calling you to redo an action. You can also recite surat al-Nas, which is also a dua for protection against wasawis.

3. Leave the washing area immediately and do NOT look back. Go straight into your prayer (after wudhu) or continue with your day. In other words, busy yourself and your mind before Shaytan tries to take over.

4. Trust in Allah that your prayer and purity are accepted. Remember that the sahaba and the Prophet (peace be upon him) all had less water than we do now, and without a doubt their prayers were accepted. So there is no doubt that we, who use (and waste) so much more water than they ever did, are performing our wudhu in a matter acceptable to Allah.

http://www.islamicteachings.org/foru...-purification/

May Allah ta'ala cure you completely and grant you relief and may He protect us all from wasawis. Ameen
Jazak Allah khair

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cinnamonrolls1
09-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Thank you both so much for this. This is super helpful!! Y'all are awesome mashallah

bint e aisha
09-16-2018, 12:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
Thank you both so much for this. This is super helpful!! Y'all are awesome mashallah
Do update us of your situation after acting on these advices inshaAllah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.