/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hadith on Arrogance Question

ameerkam
10-04-2018, 12:39 AM
Salaam

Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “No one who has the weight of a seed of arrogance in his heart will enter Paradise.” Someone said, “But a man loves to have beautiful clothes and shoes.” The Prophet said, “Verily, Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty. Arrogance means rejecting the truth and looking down on people.”

When the Prophet (PBUH) mentions about denying the truth does he mean the revelation of the Quran or just any truth? If it’s any truth does that mean if you say don’t trust someone but without much evidence and more out of fear would that fall under this kind of category? Or would it only if someone deems themselves as superior and denies what is true.

Jazzakallahu Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
10-04-2018, 04:45 AM
:salam:
instead of denying, keeping silent is better if any truth isn't corroborated with much evidences; and then talk to scholar regarding it

Ümit
10-04-2018, 06:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ameerkam
Salaam

Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “No one who has the weight of a seed of arrogance in his heart will enter Paradise.” Someone said, “But a man loves to have beautiful clothes and shoes.” The Prophet said, “Verily, Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty. Arrogance means rejecting the truth and looking down on people.”

When the Prophet (PBUH) mentions about denying the truth does he mean the revelation of the Quran or just any truth? If it’s any truth does that mean if you say don’t trust someone but without much evidence and more out of fear would that fall under this kind of category? Or would it only if someone deems themselves as superior and denies what is true.

Jazzakallahu Khair
I would say, this is about all kinds of truth. denying the truth is always wrong...however, this hadeeth does not mean that it is impossible that someone who denied truth is impossible to enter Jannah....If Allah wishes he will be punished for his arrogance and then still enter Jannah.

Denying the truth means obvious truth...with enough evidence present.
of course if some guy who used to lie all the time comes up to you and tells you something true...you will not believe him...this is not denying the truth, because you have reasons not to trust this person anymore, and unless he cannot prove his story, you can reject it. you are not rejecting it out of arrogance...you are rejecting it because this person failed to convince you. nothing wrong with that.

format_quote Originally Posted by azc
:salam:
instead of denying, keeping silent is better if any truth isn't corroborated with much evidences; and then talk to scholar regarding it
In all respect, you do not always have that option to keep silent...sometimes you have to make your choice at the spot either this, or that.
Besides, scholars are not Gods...they do not know everything.

imagine a judge postponing every case because he has to ask his scholar whether the collected evidences are enough to take a decision...not very practical right? and besides...the judge is the expert on these cases...not the scholar.

azc
10-04-2018, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
I would say, this is about all kinds of truth. denying the truth is always wrong...however, this hadeeth does not mean that it is impossible that someone who denied truth is impossible to enter Jannah....If Allah wishes he will be punished for his arrogance and then still enter Jannah.

Denying the truth means obvious truth...with enough evidence present.
of course if some guy who used to lie all the time comes up to you and tells you something true...you will not believe him...this is not denying the truth, because you have reasons not to trust this person anymore, and unless he cannot prove his story, you can reject it. you are not rejecting it out of arrogance...you are rejecting it because this person failed to convince you. nothing wrong with that.

In all respect, you do not always have that option to keep silent...sometimes you have to make your choice at the spot either this, or that.
Besides, scholars are not Gods...they do not know everything.

imagine a judge postponing every case because he has to ask his scholar whether the collected evidences are enough to take a decision...not very practical right? and besides...the judge is the expert on these cases...not the scholar.
it's the adab of the shariah to consult them

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ümit
10-04-2018, 10:31 AM
it's the adab of the shariah to consult them
OK...So for what I understand from your answer is that there is something in the shariah that tells us to consult the scholars in such cases.
Could you please elaborate this a little more if possible for educational purposes?

For example: I have now these question marks in my head
Which rule, adab or source are you referring to exactly?
in which cases should one apply this rule or adab?
How can we put this in praxis? sometimes a decision has to be made right away...or...to make a decision you need to know much about it because it is a complex matter or too technical.
So, there are many cases where a scholar does not have much useful to say.
what then?

azc
10-04-2018, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
OK...So for what I understand from your answer is that there is something in the shariah that tells us to consult the scholars in such cases.
Could you please elaborate this a little more if possible for educational purposes?

For example: I have now these question marks in my head
Which rule, adab or source are you referring to exactly?
in which cases should one apply this rule or adab?
How can we put this in praxis? sometimes a decision has to be made right away...or...to make a decision you need to know much about it because it is a complex matter or too technical.
So, there are many cases where a scholar does not have much useful to say.
what then?
Plz read ''Humility in Knowledge and Arrogance in Ignorance''
http://www.ilmgate.org/humility-in-k...-in-ignorance/

Ümit
10-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Plz read ''Humility in Knowledge and Arrogance in Ignorance''
http://www.ilmgate.org/humility-in-k...-in-ignorance/
Selamun aleykum my dear brother...I am sorry, I totally forgot about this topic.

I have read this article.

This is the personal view and opinion of the author himself. I do understand what he is saying and therefore share his concern. However, this article is about the great Imam Malik...not just any scholar. Malik was one of the greatest scholars. He walked in the footprints of our prophet sas. After our prophet sas was Malik one of the few top imams in the world...he knew he was going to be a role model to a large group of muslims. So if he would give one inaccurate answer because shaytaan managed to catch him unguarded for a second, this would have consequences not only for muslims living in that time period, but for all coming generations until the day of judgement. He had a huge responsibility.
I think we ordinary muslims wouldn't even be able to speak again for the rest of our lives if we had the same burden on our shoulders.

So of course he must answer to most questions with "i don't know".

On the other hand...what does this mean nowadays? which scholar, imam or sjeick is just as great as Imam Malik? So, does that mean that no one is good enough to be an Islaam scholar? If Malik could not answer most of the questions, then which scholars nowadays dares to say that he can?

So, my personal opinion on this is that knowledge is only valuable if it is passed on, teached, shared. you must share your knowledge with people who need it and who can benefit from it...but if you are not sure about something that you must admit it honoustly and not act as if you are sure. your intention is not to misguide anyone but to enlighten them.

I have a 2 year old daughter...she cannot speak so well yet...but soon enough, she will ask me about everything. It is my obligation to answer all her questions as accurate as possible...one day, she will learn everything that I know inshallah...and hopefully more.
If I am not sure about something, does that mean I have to stay silent and cannot answer her question? am I then not allowed to point her into a direction I think it is right but add to that that I am not certain about it?

I am not saying that we do not need to ask scholars or whatever. Of course there are enough cases one cannot answer because our knowledge is unsufficient...
What I am saying is you do not have to be afraid to share your knowledge.

So in short...I do agree with you about humility, and that one should be careful with the answers you give. you just have to find the right balance between humility and arrogance.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.