/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Conor McGregor

سيف الله
10-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Salaam

This is unusual like to share.

How silence in the face of Conor McGregor's Islamophobia led to a disgraceful mass brawl after his defeat

Earlier this year McGregor threw a metal dolly at a bus on which Khabib Nurmagomedov was travelling. Rather than chastise him, the UFC used it in a promotional video

It was billed as the greatest match in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) history: the reigning lightweight champion from Russia, Khabib Nurmagomedov, against the UFC’s big money earner and Irish international superstar Conor McGregor.

But yesterday’s event was marred by a mass brawl that broke out. Inside the Octagon, the fight ended in a victory for Nurmagomedov, and an embarrassing defeat for McGregor. But Nurmagomedov is now being heavily criticised as he jumped over the Octagon and became involved in a physical altercation with Dillon Danis, a Bellator welterweight who trains with McGregor. Meanwhile, three members of Nurmagomedov’s entourage took advantage of the chaos to make their way into the Octagon and attack McGregor.

For many, the violent aftermath was predictable – the UFC has long helped stoke the tensions between the two men and their supporters.

Earlier this year McGregor threw a metal dolly at a bus on which Nurmagomedov was travelling, injuring two fighters. Yet the UFC did not chastise him. McGregor brings in the crowds with his huge following – four out of the top pay per view events have headlined McGregor – and part of his persona revolves around his aggression and real-life feud with his nemesis.

Somewhat controversially, the UFC official promotion video featured the bus incident. Its president, Dana White, has insisted the use of the footage was fair game and not inappropriate.

White has long turned a blind eye to McGregor’s behavior, but the build-up to last night’s fight reached new lows, with McGregor invoking racist and Islamophobic slurs. He called Nurmagomedov a “backwards c**t” after the practicing Muslim turned down a whisky at a press conference, and referred to his manager as a terrorist, among other things. McGregor has also called Khabib a “Dagestani rat”, and a picture posted on McGregor’s social media account of himself captioned with “chilling in Jahanum” – Jahanum is the Islamic term for hell.

Throughout all this, Nurmagomedov has remained calm and respectable, but these slurs didn’t go unnoticed and Muslims around the world took to social media to express their outrage – it should have been a warning sign for the promoters. While an element of showmanship is to be expected, such blatantly prejudiced terminology should not be tolerated.

During the build-up to McGregor’s fight with the boxer Floyd Mayweather last year, he was criticised for referring to Mayweather’s African American security guards as “juiced up monkeys” and calling on Mayweather to “dance for me, boy”.

The racial and Islamophobic language should have been reigned in. It’s the responsibility of the UFC to spot the warning signs and demand decent behavior from their fighters – not laugh it away like a mischievous child as White did.

Nurmagomedov has apologised, saying he reacted as his religion, culture and family were insulted. The slurs against him have continued on social media though, some from other fighters, fans and even the former Boyzone singer Brian McFadden, who tweeted, seemingly in reference to the fighter: “Kebab,” “Dirty scum,” and that the team should be “band from the ufc.” [sic]

McGregor must have known exactly what he was doing, and the UFC played into it, essentially endorsing his behaviour by staying silent. The UFC is now in no position to get self-righteous and chastise Nurmagomedov for his behavior when they rewarded Mcgregor for his. McGregor has yet to apologise or show any remorse for his actions.

We can’t on one hand turn a blind eye to racism and Islamophobia, and then complain that the sport has been tainted when all hell breaks loose. The sport lost all its grace and dignity when a racist bigot was allowed to use his platform to spread hate.

Nurmagomedov is seen as a hero among Muslim youth throughout the world, and in many people’s eyes the fight’s aftermath will only cement his reputation as a warrior.

Yes his actions were unprofessional, but the UFC is partly to blame for the way the sport has been degraded, for prioritising views over the wellbeing of its fighters and turning a blind eye to racism. If Nurmagomedov is to be sanctioned, it must reflect the pressure he was under living in a world where Islamophobia is rife, and even your own employers refuse to protect you from it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/conor-mcgregor-vs-khabib-nurmagomedov-ufc-mma-fight-racism-islamophobia-a8574526.html

Some comments.

Khabib doesn't apologise for being who he is.

Khabib apologises for his behaviour after the fight.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BeTheChange
10-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Walaikumasalaam

Alhamdulilah. Humble fighter and a grateful slave to Allah swt. He always mentions Allah swt in the short video clips i have watched. Alhamdulilah. Beautiful to see.

May Allah swt help us all to show gratitude Ameen.

سيف الله
10-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Salaam

Some things never change.

Blurb

Muhammad Ali Ernie Terrell Studio Riot – “What’s MY Name” Uncle Tom ?

More analysis on the lessons to be learned.

Blurb

Khabib vs Conor Mcgregor Brawl (Aftermath of Mocking and Arrogance) caught attention of millions on screen .

This is the real time we as Muslims we can prove that acting humble , respectful and talking polite is our foundation and is the new "cool". As Khabib once said , listen i know you are trying to promote your whisky and make branding but be aware of the youngsters watching us and what message you deliver to them. We don't take sides , but we try to extract the lesson from this brawl and how it can develop and make us more aware of sins we commit by insults.

Blurb

Muslim Reaction to Khabib UFC 229 win over Conor McGregor with Guest Ubaydullah Evans

سيف الله
11-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Salaam

Another update

Blurb

Meet our special guest Javier Mendez from the AKA Gym Khabib's coach as we talk about many things and he also takes our Quiz on Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
JustTime
11-11-2018, 01:18 AM
Now if only he could use his influence to speak out against Russia's war on Islam in Syria and Iran's imperialism in the Arab world.

Alamgir
11-11-2018, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JustTime
Iran's imperialism in the Arab world.
Asalamu Alaikum

I'm sorry what? Iran hasn't imposed anything on you guys since the Sassanid era.

anatolian
11-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Iran interferes in the Arab countries by using the shia groups. Middle east is a boiling pot at the moment and everyone tries to set its own sovereignity in the region by using their own means of influence.

We all know to blame the American imperialism but we had our own empires in past and want to have the same power by using the same methods.

But I just coulnt see the connection with Iran and Khabib. He is a dagistani from russia and should speak against the Russian oppresion.

Scimitar
11-11-2018, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian

But I just coulnt see the connection with Iran and Khabib. He is a dagistani from russia and should speak against the Russian oppresion.
That's an imperially carved maritime affiliation. In typical historical narratives Dagestan, was a satrapy of Persia (Iran). In the 6th century the Sassanid Empire after more than 100 years of war conquered the Eastern Caucasus, resulting in the entire region of Dagestan falling under the influence of Persia.

Alamgir
11-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Iran interferes in the Arab countries by using the shia groups
Asalamu Alaikum

That is not the same as imposing something on someone. That's called using a proxy, and it's something else entirely.

alfaqir
11-11-2018, 08:49 PM
He and his family probably knows better what they want to criticize or not, who are we to stick our nose into it and tell what they should do, we don't know what was their experience of the 90s and 2000s or the current situation, or what potential threats they and their relatives would face.... it was/is a very messy period in the Caucasus, often not as clear cut how we imagine from distance... there were big internal divisions between the local muslims too intermixed with clan feuds and diff. religious trends, foreign wahhabis and who knows what else, even among the ranks of separatists. Unfortunetly in reality it was/is also an ugly civil war among muslims themselves.

space
11-11-2018, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bushwackk

That's an imperially carved maritime affiliation. In typical historical narratives Dagestan, was a satrapy of Persia (Iran). In the 6th century the Sassanid Empire after more than 100 years of war conquered the Eastern Caucasus, resulting in the entire region of Dagestan falling under the influence of Persia.

the Persian empire reached only the old Dagestani city Derbent, the rest parts of the region Persians weren't able to conquer because only a few local mountain tribes together successfully attacked the greatest army of Persian invaders and kicked them out of the little portion of South East Dagestan back where they came from. Definitely, the Persian empire was great but they failed to make our East theirs

سيف الله
11-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Salaam

Goes into the history of the region.

Origins of the Chechen resistance - A history

The most recent phase of the conflict.

Amir Khattab | Great Muslim Lives

A tragic history.

He and his family probably knows better what they want to criticize or not, who are we to stick our nose into it and tell what they should do
It would be nice to hear him comment but I agree its up to him to he wants to state an opinion.

I think we should focus on the topic at hand.

anatolian
11-12-2018, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bushwackk

That might be true. What I am trying to say is what the poster justtime requires khabib to speak against Iran’s imperial politics is not relevant. He has no connection to or responsibility for what Iran does. He does not have one for Russia too but atleast as a citizent of the country he can say something

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by Alamgir
Asalamu Alaikum

That is not the same as imposing something on someone. That's called using a proxy, and it's something else entirely.
Wasalam. Its not entirely something else. Using proxies is an imperial tactic of deviding the enemy inside to control it easily. All of the past empires did it.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by alfaqir
He and his family probably knows better what they want to criticize or not, who are we to stick our nose into it and tell what they should do, we don't know what was their experience of the 90s and 2000s or the current situation, or what potential threats they and their relatives would face.... it was/is a very messy period in the Caucasus, often not as clear cut how we imagine from distance... there were big internal divisions between the local muslims too intermixed with clan feuds and diff. religious trends, foreign wahhabis and who knows what else, even among the ranks of separatists. Unfortunetly in reality it was/is also an ugly civil war among muslims themselves.
I think the member justtime means the influance of Russia in Syria. So do I. Its nothing to do with the chechen jihad.

JustTime
11-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

I'm sorry what? Iran hasn't imposed anything on you guys since the Sassanid era.
Don't be an idiot, I expect better from you

- - - Updated - - -

Asalamu Alaikum

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ease-influence

Totally not imperialism but if America or Israel did this it would be, After Iraq, Iran is the most Anti-Islamic country on the face of this planet no one compares to how Islamophobic Iraq, Iran and Syria are.

Alamgir
11-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Don't be an idiot, I expect better from you
Please don't twist my words brother, it's terrible what they're doing, but to say Iran is imposing something upon you is not the correct adjective in my eyes. They lack any capability of doing so, the Arab world (as a whole) is currently stronger than they are.

Scimitar
11-12-2018, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by space
the Persian empire reached only the old Dagestani city Derbent,...
You've totally missed the point and are being facetious lol

My post was a response to Anatolian's in which he wrote: "I just coulnt see the connection with Iran and Khabib. He is a dagistani from russia and should speak against the Russian oppresion"

The point is that Iran WAS connected to Dagestan via satrapy! And that IS the connection... you dig? Or you wasted?

- - - Updated - - -

That might be true.
It's history, and objectively true.

What I am trying to say is what the poster justtime requires khabib to speak against Iran’s imperial politics is not relevant.
I didn't take Khabib for a politician lol. Why is it his business?

He has no connection to or responsibility for what Iran does.
Agreed.

He does not have one for Russia too but atleast as a citizent of the country he can say something
Why? To what end? Do you think he can influence "politicians"??? :D let's be real here. He's an MMA knuckle head who happens to also be Muslim. He doesn't have any influence beyond the octagon.

JustTime
11-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Please don't twist my words brother, it's terrible what they're doing, but to say Iran is imposing something upon you is not the correct adjective in my eyes. They lack any capability of doing so, the Arab world (as a whole) is currently stronger than they are.
Iran could easily invade KSA

Alamgir
11-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Iran could easily invade KSA
No it can't, Saudi Arabia boasts far superior air power and its ground forces are also much better equipped. Not to mention such a move would incur NATO's wrath.

JustTime
11-13-2018, 05:13 PM
No it can't, Saudi Arabia boasts far superior air power and its ground forces are also much better equipped. Not to mention such a move would incur NATO's wrath.
Saddam's Iraq was better equipped to fight Iran than KSA only ones who can fight Iran would be Pakistan or Turkey and I doubt Erdogan would do that and Pakistan isn't going to go fight a war for KSA.

Alamgir
11-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Saddam's Iraq was better equipped to fight Iran than KSA only ones who can fight Iran would be Pakistan or Turkey and I doubt Erdogan would do that and Pakistan isn't going to go fight a war for KSA.
Saddam Hussein faced a far more powerful Iran. At that time, Iran's military hardware was on a similar level to Iraq's, and even then, Iran suffered significantly higher casualties, it's military equipment was almost completely depleted by the end of the war, and signed the ceasefire out of fear that Iraq would completely pulverise the country (Saddam Hussein made it clear that this was his intention if the ceasefire was not signed by Iran, and since he pretty much had the apex military in the region at the time, this would have been achievable).

As of now, the Iranian military operates technology far inferior to KSA's, and it's Air Force is also significantly outnumbered by the RSAF. Not only that, but NATO would immediately rush to KSA's defence in the event of a war. Iran wouldn't stand a chance.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!