/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is studying sociology permissible in Islam?

mariaali
10-09-2018, 06:42 AM
Asalamualaikum brothers and sisters,

I had a question to ask today. I plan on studying psychology in India but there are two subjects linking to it, here they are subjects that are linked with the ba in psychology:

Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy
Psychology, Sociology, Marketing
Psychology, English Literature, Philosophy
Psychology, English Literature, Marketing

I read somewhere that studying philosophy is haram, so I'm gonna try and avoid that subject, but my question is, is sociology haram? I've never studied it and I don't know how they will teach in India as I am not from the country. I don't want to put myself in a position where I self-doubt my religion and I know i am not the strongest Muslim and I want to keep myself far from kufr and shirk.

Thank you,
Jazakallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
JustTime
10-09-2018, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mariaali

I had a question to ask today. I plan on studying psychology in India but there are two subjects linking to it, here they are subjects that are linked with the ba in psychology:

I read somewhere that studying philosophy is haram, so I'm gonna try and avoid that subject, but my question is, is sociology haram? I've never studied it and I don't know how they will teach in India as I am not from the country. I don't want to put myself in a position where I self-doubt my religion and I know i am not the strongest Muslim and I want to keep myself far from kufr and shirk.

Thank you,
Jazakallah.
Wa Alaykum as Salam

Why would it be?

azc
10-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Why do you think that studying sociology and philosophy is haram...?

Mandy
10-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Where did you read that philosophy or sociology would be haram?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Alamgir
10-09-2018, 10:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mariaali

Thank you,
Jazakallah.
Wa'alaikum As'salam

Here are some articles on the subject of philosophy for those of you who don't know the ruling on learning about it:

https://islamqa.info/en/88184

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/85797

Sociology itself is fine, only philosophy is an issue.

Mandy
10-09-2018, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Khorasani
Wa'alaikum As'salam

Here are some articles on the subject of philosophy for those of you who don't know the ruling on learning about it:

https://islamqa.info/en/88184

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/85797

Sociology itself is fine, only philosophy is an issue.
Thank you for the reference. Shows how little I know!!!
But that reference is long and complicated to follow. Did I properly understand that only some part of philosophy or more specifically how some of so called philosopher use it is haram?

xboxisdead
10-09-2018, 02:21 PM
I hate sociology because sociology is designed to turn you into Atheist. At high school I have faced sociology and indeed that is what they do. It is not directly but indirectly they make you question the existence of Allah, the gender role and difference (my favorite part - sarcastically - "One of them is a boy and the other is a girl...CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE?" I mean...like...what is the point of that exactly -_-?) and so on. I have never liked it...I hated it and sociology is an excellent brainwashing mechanism...that and women studies.

mariaali
10-09-2018, 03:00 PM
jazakallah brother.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by Mandy
Where did you read that philosophy or sociology would be haram?
I read on this page.
https://islamqa.info/en/88184 the same one brother replied.

Ruling on studying philosophy - islamqa.info
What is the ruling on studying philosophy Please note that studying it is compulsory for us in Algeria....

mariaali
10-09-2018, 03:02 PM
like i know that philosophy is not allowed. i just wanted to make sure sociology wasn't an issue. :)

*charisma*
10-09-2018, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by xboxisdead
I hate sociology because sociology is designed to turn you into Atheist. At high school I have faced sociology and indeed that is what they do. It is not directly but indirectly they make you question the existence of Allah, the gender role and difference (my favorite part - sarcastically - "One of them is a boy and the other is a girl...CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE?" I mean...like...what is the point of that exactly -_-?) and so on. I have never liked it...I hated it and sociology is an excellent brainwashing mechanism...that and women studies.
Sociology is the study of the society and how it functions. There is nothing wrong with that and is actually quite informative. Maybe you meant philosophy?

xboxisdead
10-09-2018, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Sociology is the study of the society and how it functions. There is nothing wrong with that and is actually quite informative. Maybe you meant philosophy?
Maybe......

But I do not need a course to study how society it functions...I have that lesson everyday I open that door and get out of the house and when I turn on the TV. :facepalm::facepalm: I know exactly how society functions!

*charisma*
10-09-2018, 04:01 PM
But I do not need a course to study how society it functions...I have that lesson everyday I open that door and get out of the house and when I turn on the TV. I know exactly how society functions!
There are societies beyond than what surrounds you bro :)

Mandy
10-09-2018, 04:32 PM
A class about sociology was teaching you about how to tell the difference between a boy and a girl? Isn't that suppose to be biology?
Not to mention that difference is fairly clear to anyone who has eyes! What is the point in denying it???

JustTime
10-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Mastering such fields of study can be excellent for use in refutations against things such as atheism.

xboxisdead
10-09-2018, 07:14 PM
A class about sociology was teaching you about how to tell the difference between a boy and a girl? Isn't that suppose to be biology?
Not to mention that difference is fairly clear to anyone who has eyes! What is the point in denying it???
I guess what they are trying to teach is that at that age boys and girls look alike and thus gender difference are man-made construction and there is really no biological difference and such can be reconstructed and thus women can do everything a man can do and a man can do everything a woman can do and thus boy scan dress like girls and girls can dress like boys. Another thing they attempted to teach me in sociology is that fathers are not real. It is a societal construct and the only parent is a mother because it is biological construct where she births and feeds the child and based on culture and societal norms it determines what is the role of a father and whether he have any significant role or whether he is even needed period as a parent.

You start following that propaganda or thinking and you start to question religion..question the point of needing marriage or why they heck we need men. What are men good for anyways? And thus this is the world we live in. By the way, sociology is been warned in mosques too that it breeds atheism. I went to a shiekh couple of weeks ago and he said the majority of students by the time they graduate from university have left the fold of Islam and became Atheist by heart and live in materialistic what you see in front of you world. That is why they are attempting to make homeschooling for children and have in group Muslim society where up to graduation all the children are Islamically taught and home schooled and surrounded by Muslim families. Can I tell you something? He is right. At school they all make you become atheist...AND I HATED THAT! My depression went high to the sky by the time I graduated highschool and have had a severe panic attack almost to shaking on the floor. The only time the panic attack left me and I found peace in mind is when I started going to mosques and getting close to Allah (no pills needed for me).

By the way? Just as a side note. Anyone believe there is no such thing as a father or fathers are not real and it is societal construct and thus only mothers are real parents have left the fold of Islam and became a kafir. AND THAT is what they are teaching you at school.

HakimPtsid
10-09-2018, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JustTime
Mastering such fields of study can be excellent for use in refutations against things such as atheism.
I definitely agree with this.

space
10-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Don't focus on such thing, just increase your knowledge.. we need people who know sociology and other sciences. Keep going

Alamgir
10-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Thank you for the reference. Shows how little I know!!!
But that reference is long and complicated to follow. Did I properly understand that only some part of philosophy or more specifically how some of so called philosopher use it is haram?
It's not hard to follow, just read it properly.

Your conclusion is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Sociology is the study of human beings, mainly our behavioural patterns.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by space
Don't focus on such thing, just increase your knowledge.. we need people who know sociology and other sciences. Keep going
As'salamu Alaik'um

We need more people who study core sciences like biology, chemistry and physics to a PhD level. It's the study of these subjects that cause a society to progress.

Mandy
10-09-2018, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Khorasani
It's not hard to follow, just read it properly.

Your conclusion is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Sociology is the study of human beings, mainly our behavioural patterns.
Thank you for confirming I had understood the text properly. When I said it was complicated, I just meant it was long and wanted to double check with others that my understanding was correct.

As for my reply about biology, it was just a joke I tried to make at xboxisdead comment. Sorry if it was misunderstood.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.