/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Flirting - what is it and what is not?

Studentofdeed
10-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Can someone explain the concept of flirting?
I was told flirting is when you complement the person or hit on them. However at times I make jokes about school to lighten the mood and my intention is not to get at them or lead them on in any way and I think my friends are aware of this too but I want to know if what I did was a sin?
And are we allowed to be friendly with the opposite gender? Like talk about school and be friends with them?
Can someone please advise me so I may be guided and can make the right decisions in the future.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
10-16-2018, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Studentofdeed
Can someone explain the concept of flirting?
I was told flirting is when you complement the person or hit on them. However at times I make jokes about school to lighten the mood and my intention is not to get at them or lead them on in any way and I think my friends are aware of this too but I want to know if what I did was a sin?
And are we allowed to be friendly with the opposite gender? Like talk about school and be friends with them?
Can someone please advise me so I may be guided and can make the right decisions in the future.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fl...0%2C3529340231

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/80315

ahmed.younes
10-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Hi. It is definatley not allowed to be friends with the opposite gender, let alone joke with them, and let alone flirt with them. With that being said, communicaiton is permissible at times of neccessity. For example School projects etc.. But this also should be kept to a minimal.

https://islamqa.info/en/127946 Read this article for full context inshallah
@azc akhi barakalhufeek that website is not reliable. use islamqa.org is better inshallah

Studying and teaching in mixed schools - islamqa.info
I have a problem that is causing me to think a great deal and is making me frustrated. Approximately two months agoI was able to do well in my exams to become a...

Studentofdeed
10-17-2018, 07:10 PM
If a man flirts, how can he repent? Does it involve breaking the rights of others or is it between him and Allah?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ahmed.younes
10-17-2018, 07:10 PM
I dont understand what you mean about the rights, but you have to repent. Here's how : https://islamqa.info/en/14289

Repentance - islamqa.info
I have committed many sins which no one knows of except Allaah. What do I have to do so that Allaah will accept my repentance...

Sincere repentance is not merely the matter of words spoken on the tongue. Rather, the acceptance of repentance is subject to the condition that the person gives up the sin straight away, that he regrets what has happened in the past, that he resolves not to go back to the thing he has repented from, that he restores people’s rights or property if his sin involved wrongdoing towards others, and that he repents before the agony of death is upon him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

Studentofdeed
10-17-2018, 07:27 PM
That what I am asking...I m giving it up but does flirting involve breaking people rights?

- - - Updated - - -

How can I repent then? Because I haven't outright flirted or my was my intention but I always joke with friends and sometimes I joke with girls too but often it is school related stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Do I have to restore their rights? Because obviously I know it is a sin but I am not sure how I can restore their rights. It is not like where i broke someone's heart or was playing with their feelings.

azc
10-17-2018, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed.younes
Hi. It is definatley not allowed to be friends with the opposite gender, let alone joke with them, and let alone flirt with them. With that being said, communicaiton is permissible at times of neccessity. For example School projects etc.. But this also should be kept to a minimal.

https://islamqa.info/en/127946 Read this article for full context inshallah
@azc akhi barakalhufeek that website is not reliable. use islamqa.org is better inshallah

Studying and teaching in mixed schools - islamqa.info
I have a problem that is causing me to think a great deal and is making me frustrated. Approximately two months agoI was able to do well in my exams to become a...
any website which is not reliable is banned on islamicboard.

I as well as IB find both sites as reliable.

Thanks bro

Studentofdeed
10-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Can someone please answer my question?

azc
10-18-2018, 03:06 AM
That what I am asking...I m giving it up but does flirting involve breaking people rights?- - - Updated - - -How can I repent then? Because I haven't outright flirted or my was my intention but I always joke with friends and sometimes I joke with girls too but often it is school related stuff- - - Updated - - -Do I have to restore their rights? Because obviously I know it is a sin but I am not sure how I can restore their rights. It is not like where i broke someone's heart or was playing with their feelings.
If you've hurt someone even unintentionally apology is the best way.

ahmed.younes
10-18-2018, 07:26 AM
A
That what I am asking...I m giving it up but does flirting involve breaking people rights?

- - - Updated - - -

How can I repent then? Because I haven't outright flirted or my was my intention but I always joke with friends and sometimes I joke with girls too but often it is school related stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Do I have to restore their rights? Because obviously I know it is a sin but I am not sure how I can restore their rights. It is not like where i broke someone's heart or was playing with their feelings.
AKhi how do you hurt someone by flirting with them? You do not need to necessairly ex-communicate them either akhi. Just stop seeing them

- - - Updated - - -

Well that website use deo-bandi scholars and that is not reliable imo, because deo-bandism teaches magic.

I suggest you fear allah and do not talk without knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that website use deo-bandi scholars and that is not reliable imo, because deo-bandism teaches magic.

azc
10-18-2018, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed.younes
A

AKhi how do you hurt someone by flirting with them? You do not need to necessairly ex-communicate them either akhi. Just stop seeing them

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You are suggested to fear Allah swt for lying about truthful ulama without knowledge.

Following is the view of ulama e deoband:

Imam Ibn Taymiyya (Allah have mercy on him) writes in his Fatawa:

“It is permissible for an ill or troubled person, that certain verses from the Qur’an are written with pure ink, then it is washed and given to the ill to drink. Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) is reported to have mentioned a certain Dua that should be written and placed close to the woman who is experiencing hard labour at the time of giving birth.

Sayyiduna Ali (Allah be pleased with him) says: ''This Dua should be written and tied to the arm of the woman. We have experienced that there is nothing more amazing than this”

(Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya, 19/65)

Imam Ibn Taymiyya’s rh student Imam Ibn al-Qayyim rh also narrates the permissibility of using Ta’wizes from a number of salafs including the great Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal (Allah have mercy on him).Thereafter Ibn al-Qayyim rh himself quotes various Ta’wizes

(Zad al-Ma’ad, 3/180)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.