/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is showing off haram?

Nightloses
10-17-2018, 09:13 PM
I know riyaa is haram but how about showing off in something that is not an act of worship like showing off my tennis skills or how fast I run?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mandy
10-17-2018, 10:11 PM
who would you be showing off to?

ZeeshanParvez
10-18-2018, 01:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nightloses
I know riyaa is haram but how about showing off in something that is not an act of worship like showing off my tennis skills or how fast I run?
Doing that could quite easily lead to pride and arrogance. When you show off any skill you have you are bound to either be applauded for it or criticized for it. The former leads to arrogance while the latter leads to enmity.

As for pride and arrogance let's not forget the following:

Narrated Abu Hurayrah:

The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said: Allah Most High says: Pride is my cloak and majesty is my lower garment, and I shall throw him who view with me regarding one of them into Hell.

[Sunan Abi Dawud]

It was narrated that Abdullah said:

"The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said: 'No one will enter Paradise who has even a mustard-seed's weight of arrogance in his heart, and no one will enter Hell who has even a mustard-seed's weight of faith in his heart.'"

[Sunan Ibn Maajah]

Second, you may forget to realize that any talent you have is purely from Allaah. So, when you really come to think of it, there is no greatness in us.

What comes to you of good is from Allah , but what comes to you of evil, [O man], is from yourself. And We have sent you, [O Muhammad], to the people as a messenger, and sufficient is Allah as Witness.

[Qur'aan 4:79]

There isn't anything to show off. All good is from Allaah. Hence, we should praise Him and thank Him for the blessings He has given us so that He increases our blessings.

And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.'

[Qur'aan 14:7]

azc
10-18-2018, 11:09 AM
@ZeeshanParvez :

When you show off any skill you have you are bound to either be applauded for it or criticized for it. The former leads to arrogance while the latter leads to enmity.
It may be possible in exceptional cases though but invariably, a true sportsman, in both situations, will work hard and hard to prove himself as the best player.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.