/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to look at niqabi woman when talk to her?

ardianto
10-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Assalamualaikum.

Few days ago a niqabi woman visited my office. Since my employees were busy, I welcomed her by myself. She came to ship a package, and to consult about shipping process. She asked several questions, and I explained what she need to know. It spent few moments, until finally she thanked me and left my office.

But to be honest, when I interacted with her I felt uncomfortable. Not because her, but because .... okay, I wil l explain.

When I talk in face-to-face interaction, I always look at face of person who I talk for. This is because courtesy reason. But when I talked to that niqabi woman I tried to not look at her. It's because I was worry she would regard me as impolite if I looked at her. Frankly, it made me feel uncomfortable. However, after she left my office I began to thinking differently, and began to worry she would regard me as impolite because I looked at other direction when talked to her.

So what can I do if next time I interact with a niqabi woman again?. Is it okay if I look at her when I am talking?.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MazharShafiq
10-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Men should also look at the screen of view, whether he is talking to a niqabi woman or a un niqabi woman, because God commanded men before women to keep their eyes shortened, later the woman ordered the curtains. The

ZeeshanParvez
10-22-2018, 02:53 PM
The 'asl is that you cannot look at women. The evidence is the following Verse of the Qur'aan

Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do.

[Qur'aan 24:30]

Jariir bin 'Abdullah reported:

I asked Allah's Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) about the sudden glance (that is cast) on the face (of a non-Mahram). He commanded me that I should turn away my eyes.

[Sahiih Muslim Hadiith No. 2159]

Narrated Buraidah ibn al-Hasib:

The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said: to Ali: Do not give a second look, Ali, (because) while you are not to blame for the first, you have no right to the second.

[Sunan Abi Dawud Hadiith No. 2149]

The scholars made exceptions to this 'asl.

They said there are certain circumstances where you can look at the woman. You can look at her when she is giving testimony or is being testified against. You can look at her when you have to deal with her in sale and trade or matters pertaining to rent. Also, they said, a doctor can look when necessity dictates. A man who wants to marry a woman can look at her as well.

They stipulated that none of this should be with desire and lust. It should not invite to al-munkar. If a doctor knows he will lust and desire if he looks then he cannot. The same applies to the other cases.

Ahmad has been reported to have said: If a person deals with a woman in sale and trade or matters of rent he has the right to look at her face so that he knows who she specifically is.

As for your case, it is best you not look at her because you have no real need. Feeling unconformable and impolite is not a need. Do not worry about what the creation thinks. If she thinks it was impolite, so be it. You are only to worry about Allaah.

And, to be honest, I don't think a woman who wears a niqaab will think it is impolite. If you are so worried just tell her I do not look for Islamic reasons so don't mind. It is that simple.

Reference(s):

Ruling regarding looking at women

Ruling of looking at the eyes of a woman wearing niqaab

ardianto
10-22-2018, 02:55 PM
I look to the person who I talk for becuase I must look at her/him. It's very impolite if I talk to someone who sit or stand in front of me closely but I look at other direction.

I never look at a woman if unnecessary.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
10-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Speaking with a woman to whom one is not related (i.e., not mahram) should only be for a specific need, such as asking a question, buying or selling, asking about the head of the household, and so on. Such conversations should be brief, with nothing doubtful in either what is said or how it is said.

The idea of limiting speech with women to the five instances mentioned in the question needs to be approached with caution, because they could be taken as examples instead of limits. One must also adhere to the conditions set out by the Sharee’ah even in instances where such conversations are necessary, such as in da’wah, giving fatwas, buying or selling, etc.

And Allaah knows best.
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1497...0%2C7995363725

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.