/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning to take it easy; mental health and Islam

ACEDIslam
11-02-2018, 04:16 AM
Asalaam Alaykum,

I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and as a result I can be very obsessive about Islamic practices. I understand that it is always good to keep in mind what is permitted and what is forbidden, however, it is often extreme and to the point of harm and unhappiness.

I must learn to relax and simply do the best I can without excessive anxiety and worry. That's a hallmark of OCD: excessive anxiety and worry. I often obsess over Islamic issues, such as views on evolution and the like. Worrying about hell excessively also causes great unhappiness and turmoil in my mind and heart.

I have dedicated my life to helping others, Muslims and non-Muslims alike. I have been asked to provide support to Muslims experiencing mental health and substance abuse issues, which I will gladly do. My deeds are good and my heart is in the right place. I do my best. The effort is there.

Keep in mind that OCD surpasses the line of healthy worry. We should all have great concern over the life we live as Muslims. However, OCD causes me to worry excessively to the point of great harm and impairment. One of the reasons I left Islam in the past is because I could not overcome this worry.

Has anyone had similar experiences, and if so, how did you cope and overcome?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Desert
11-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Cure is to completely ignore it and force yourself to not listen to the ocd thought pattern...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.