/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to be as Accomodating as possible :)

Roommate
11-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone :)

I am a male Canadian University student who is not of Islamic faith. I am currently living with two other University students, and recently realized that some of my behaviour's may make one of my roommates uncomfortable, which led me to realize that I do not know much about Islam at all! I am just writing to you all to see what steps I can take to make my roommate as comfortable as possible, and what is and is not acceptable.

I am a gay male, so I previously did not see an issue with walking to/from my bedroom and shower in just a towel (I have female roommates). Is this okay? or should I be wearing a bathrobe/something that covers my body more? I also regularly drink alcohol with meals and on weekends. I know that drinking alcohol is discouraged, so is it rude of me to drink it in the same room as her? or should I not drink in the house at all.

Please give me any tips that you would recommend to a young, gay, university student who parties fairly regularly as to how I can make my roommate feel as comfortable as possible. Any tips/pointers are welcome, thank you :-)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
11-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Hi and welcome to IslamicBoard.

Thanks for your concern, we appreciate your thoughtfulness. Islamically, unrelated boys and girls shouldn't be staying in the same house. Modesty is greatly emphasized in Islam. So wearing a bath robe and covering yourself fully is highly recommended.

Same goes for alcohol, it is forbidden in Islam. It is harmful for the body, mind and soul.

Ideally, Muslim students should move out and try to stay together somewhere else. Otherwise, peer pressure and cultural differences can have a negative impact on their faith. Unless they are themselves firmly grounded and involved in Dawah, it will not be easy for them to uphold their Religious commitments.

Roommate
11-26-2018, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Hi and welcome to IslamicBoard.

Thanks for your concern, we appreciate your thoughtfulness. Islamically, unrelated boys and girls shouldn't be staying in the same house. Modesty is greatly emphasized in Islam. So wearing a bath robe and covering yourself fully is highly recommended.

Same goes for alcohol, it is forbidden in Islam. It is harmful for the body, mind and soul.

Ideally, Muslim students should move out and try to stay together somewhere else. Otherwise, peer pressure and cultural differences can have a negative impact on their faith. Unless they are themselves firmly grounded and involved in Dawah, it will not be easy for them to uphold their Religious commitments.
But am I disrespecting her by drinking alcohol in the house? I would never dream of pressuring her to drink or offer her any. I was just wondering if there were specific rules against being in the presence of someone who is drinking, or is it only discouraged to drink yourself. (I hope that makes sense). We are currently both signed to a one year lease, so moving out is not an option at this point. We get along great though! and I met her husband I get along with him as well.

AabiruSabeel
11-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Yes, it is forbidden for a Muslim to be in the same place where alcohol is being consumed.

It was narrated that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, let him not sit at a table where wine is being drunk.”

Narrated by Ahmad, 126; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 7/6.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Roommate
11-26-2018, 10:21 PM
good to know! I wont drink in the same room as her then. Do these rules apply to smoking cigarettes and/or marijuana? (Marijuana is legal where I am)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't smoke in the house but my friends and I often do on our front porch.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.