/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chess in Islam

Azeem Ali
11-29-2018, 09:00 AM
A-o-A, Hope you are fine.

I wanna know about chess (just for fun purpose without betting etc.) in Islam. Can we play if we don't neglect other Islamic obligations ?

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ishaaq
11-29-2018, 09:17 AM
عن علي بن أبي طالب رضي الله عنه أنه مَرَّ على قوم يلعبون بالشطرنج فقال : ما هذه التماثييل التي أنتم لها عاكفون
It was narrated that ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) passed by some people who were playing chess. He said, “What are these images, to which you are devoted? [cf. al-Anbiya’ 21:52]”

eesa the kiwi
11-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

There is a difference of opinion brother I avoid it to be safe. I used to enjoy chess before Islam but really it's such a minor thing to give up when you consider the pleasures of jannah Allah has prepared for the pious

(Note this isn't a fatwa but a comment)

Ümit
11-29-2018, 12:05 PM
İ never knew about the prohibition of chess in İslaam at all.
İn earlier discussions here on İslamicboard some brothers ans sisters pointed out that it was pretty much prohibited. They showed various hadeeth about it...so now i gave that up completely just to be sure.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
fschmidt
11-29-2018, 12:16 PM
If chess is prohibited for its images, then the book I received at my mosque containing illustrations of how to pray must also be prohibited because that also contains images.

MazharShafiq
11-29-2018, 03:58 PM
I think it's time-consumed.

azc
11-29-2018, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fschmidt
If chess is prohibited for its images, then the book I received at my mosque containing illustrations of how to pray must also be prohibited because that also contains images.
agree, books shouldn't contain images.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.