/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can I be both a true Muslim and a pacifist?

Alhamdulillah2
12-16-2018, 01:22 AM
I am Muslim.
I am also pacifist/lovey-dovey-leftie-pinko.
I do not believe in violence ever.

However, unfortunately, some verses use violent language.

How do I reconcile these two beliefs. Is this compatible?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
urkahnkhan
12-16-2018, 02:36 AM
Allah himself is not a pacifist. Righteousness itself has nothing to do with pacifism, self-defence, punishments and rewards are part of righteousness.

So to be frank with you No.

Pacifism goes also against your nature. Example if a dog or cat charges against you in the alley you would naturally defend yourself as your existence is depend upon it. Pacifism is based on ignorance by definition

azc
12-16-2018, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alhamdulillah2
I am Muslim.

https://www.harunyahya.com/en/Articl...0%2C2225078302

Alamgir
12-16-2018, 01:59 PM
I am Muslim.

Asalamu Alaikum

Dump pacifism, it's not only incompatible with Islam but also completely impractical as a lifestyle.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
12-16-2018, 02:19 PM
I am Muslim.

Well the easiest way is to apply your knowledge to your own life and circumstances.

It's the easiest way to learn.

Well I say knowledge but what I mean is beliefs..

I know people who are great at using language.. they are naturally inclined to express themselves and it goes a long way.. it is a very powerful tool.

The answering of questions and approaching of subject matter and topic can lead a person.

Iv also known people who were immense physically.. literally won a knife fight without even having a knife.. pummeld him right in the middle of the road.

At the same time beat a mentally disabled person who had his mother in tow because of how he had been behaving.

..we are who we are.

Although we have no idea of the truth of the things we do.

But the violence you speak of is probably not in your life.. so how can you have any understanding of it?

Have a completely out of context line...

(Those) who have been driven out of their homes untruthfully (i.e., without right) except that they say, "Our Lord is Allah." And had it not been the repelling by Allah of mankind, some by the means of others, (Literally: some by means of some others) indeed there would have been completely demolished hermitages, and churches, and oratories, and mosques, wherein The Name of Allah is much mentioned. And indeed Allah will definitely give victory to whomever vindicates Him. Surely Allah is indeed Ever-Powerful, Ever-Mighty.

Lol personally speaking iv been bettered by both types of people..in the past..

So no have no nievity about becoming a bully or picking fights I can win.. I don't do it.

I don't live with self deception.

These days I work hard and try and earn an honest days pay. That is all.

I was reading a recent thread about errors in the bible and found this because of it.. extremely insightful..

David Counts His Army

24-The-Lord-was angry with Israel again, and he caused David to turn against the Israelites. He said, “Go, count the people of Israel and Judah.”

2-So King David said to Joab, the commander of the army, “Go through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba,a]" style="font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: top;">[a]-and count the people. Then I will know how many there are.”

3-But Joab said to the king, “May the-Lordyour God give you a hundred times more people, and may my master the king live to see this happen. Why do you want to do this?”

4-But the king commanded Joab and the commanders of the army, so they left the king to count the Israelites.

5-After crossing the Jordan River, they camped near Aroer on the south side of the city in the ravine. They went through Gad and on to Jazer.-6-Then they went to Gilead and the land of Tahtim Hodshi and to Dan Jaan and around to Sidon.-7-They went to the strong, walled city of Tyre and to all the cities of the Hivites and Canaanites. Finally, they went to southern Judah, to Beersheba.-8-After nine months and twenty days, they had gone through all the land. Then they came back to Jerusalem.

9-Joab gave the list of the people to the king. There were eight hundred thousand men in Israel who could use the sword and five hundred thousand men in Judah.

10-David felt ashamed after he had counted the people. He said to the-Lord, “I have sinned greatly by what I have done.-Lord, I beg you to forgive me, your servant, because I have been very foolish.”

11-When David got up in the morning, the-Lord-spoke his word to Gad, who was a prophet and David’s seer.-12-The-Lord-told Gad, “Go and tell David, ‘This is what the-Lordsays: I offer you three choices. Choose one of them and I will do it to you.’”

13-So Gad went to David and said to him, “Should three years of hunger come to you and your land? Or should your enemies chase you for three months? Or should there be three days of disease in your land? Think about it. Then decide which of these things I should tell the-Lord-who sent me.”

14-David said to Gad, “I am in great trouble. Let the-Lord-punish us, because the-Lord-is very merciful. Don’t let my punishment come from human beings!”

15-So the-Lord-sent a terrible disease on Israel. It began in the morning and continued until the chosen time to stop. From Dan to Beersheba seventy thousand people died.-16-When the angel raised his arm toward Jerusalem to destroy it, the-Lord-felt very sorry about the terrible things that had happened. He said to the angel who was destroying the people, “That is enough! Put down your arm!” The angel of the-Lord-was then by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

17-When David saw the angel that killed the people, he said to the-Lord, “I am the one who sinned and did wrong. These people only followed me like sheep. They did nothing wrong. Please punish me and my family.”

18-That day Gad came to David and said, “Go and build an altar to the-Lord-on the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.”-19-So David did what Gad told him to do, just as the-Lord-commanded.

20-Araunah looked and saw the king and his servants coming to him. So he went out and bowed facedown on the ground before the king.-21-He said, “Why has my master the king come to me?”

David answered, “To buy the threshing floor from you so I can build an altar to the-Lord. Then the terrible disease will stop.”

22-Araunah said to David, “My master and king, you may take anything you want for a sacrifice. Here are some oxen for the whole burnt offering and the threshing boards and the yokes for the wood.-23-My king, I give everything to you.” Araunah also said to the king, “May the-Lord-your God be pleased with you.”

24-But the king answered Araunah, “No, I will pay you for the land. I won’t offer to the-Lordmy God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.”

So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for one and one-fourth pounds of silver.-25-He built an altar to the-Lord-there and offered whole burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. Then the-Lord-answered his prayer for the country, and the disease in Israel stopped.

I know it goes against what people have said in this thread, but we are what we put forward..

And most of the time people do not know what is before them or what is behind them.. Maybe you all want to remain unbeaten.. or turn up in other people's lives to beat them.

I was going to be a pharmacist at one time, at least when you stand infront of a pharmacist you know what you want.

Eric H
12-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Alamgir;

Dump pacifism, it's not only incompatible with Islam but also completely impractical as a lifestyle.
So why are you asked to say salaam alaikum as a greeting of peace?
Blessings
Eric

IslamLife00
12-18-2018, 01:56 AM
I am Muslim.

You can still forbid wrongdoing without being violent.

It was narrated that Tariq bin Shihab said:
"Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri said: 'I heard the Messenger of Allah [SAW] say: Whosoever you sees an evil and changes it with his hand, then he has done his duty. changes it with his tongue, then he has done his duty. Whoever is unable to do that, but changes it with his heart, then he has done his duty, and that is the weakest of Faith. '" (Sunan An-Nasa'i)

It was narrated from Ibn 'Umar that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
"Whoever takes the wrongdoer's side in a dispute or supports wrongdoing, he will remain subject to the wrath of Allah until he gives it up." (Sunan Ibn Majah)

Eric H
12-18-2018, 08:34 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Alhamdulillah2;

I am also pacifist
I prefer the phrase peace maker rather than pacifist; the only time you can be a peace maker; is when you are in the middle of anger or violence. This happens in my role as a Street Pastor. we wonder the streets until 4 - 5 am on a Saturday morning and we often come into contact with drunken violence.

I can remember the first time we saw about a dozen people fighting, as we approached them, I saw one man punched to the ground, another man was being kicked as he laid on the road and a lady was punched in the face. We walked in the middle of all this angry violence and tried to keep people apart without using any physical contact. I can only say that I experienced a profound sense of peace which is beyond my understanding. It seemed like these people absorbed our peace, and we took away their anger; the fighting gradually stopped and we stayed with them for some time. When it came time to walk away; they shook our hands and gave us all hugs.

I was in my sixties at the time and the two ladies with me were both in their seventies. I am amazed that people seem to allow us to walk in the middle of their conflict without hitting us, and I am always amazed at the outcome. We give thanks to God because we could not do this kind of voluntary work without prayer and trust in him.

In the spirit of praying for a peace that surpasses all understanding;
Eric

Mandy
12-18-2018, 08:36 PM
I am Muslim.

Maybe you mean you are a person who wants to avoid violence when possible. Which is a good thing.
But being a pacifist means what ever someone does to you, you would not react. Is that really how you want to live your life?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.