/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poetry on infatuation

ameerkam
12-11-2018, 09:15 PM
Asallamualaikum

I heard from a scholar that reading poems about infatuation etc was makruh but I hear from quite a few other people that romance novels are haraam. Does anyone know why there is a difference of opinion and if there’s proof to back up their statements

Jazzakallahu Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
12-12-2018, 07:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ameerkam
Asallamualaikum

I heard from a scholar that reading poems about infatuation etc was makruh but I hear from quite a few other people that romance novels are haraam. Does anyone know why there is a difference of opinion and if there’s proof to back up their statements

Jazzakallahu Khair
;wa;

Every saying is a heresy until corroborated by Quran and hadith.
In such cases always ask them the evidences.

Reading novels is subjected to some conditions.
https://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/4...0%2C5958901609

ameerkam
12-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Salaam

I read that a scholar (I’m not sure which one) said that poetry that talks about infatuation (I believe) is makruh to read. Is this generally agreed upon by many scholars or not? Are there hadiths that prove it?

Jazzakallahu Khair

ameerkam
12-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Assalamualaikum

The Prophet SAWS said: “It is better for a man’s belly to be stuffed with pus which corrodes it than to stuff one’s mind with frivolous poetry”

Can someone give me some analyses of this Hadith please? Because there was one explanation by Abu ‘Ubayd who said, “On the face of it, this means that one’s heart is filled until it busies him from the Qur’an and the remembrance of Allah, but if the Qur’an and the remembrance of Allah are dominant in him, then to us, this person is not stuffed full with poetry.”

Was Abu Ubayd a trusted interpreter of Hadith? And I’m having trouble understanding it.

Jazzakallahu Khair

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ameerkam
12-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Assalamualaikum

If a person did the minimum in terms of worshipping/remembering Allah such as doing the five prayers and reading/listening to the Quran sometimes, but his mind was mostly on other things would it be permissible? I’m asking this because of a statement by Abu ‘Ubayd that said, “On the face of it, this means that one’s heart is filled until it busies him from the Qur’an and the remembrance of Allah, but if the Qur’an and the remembrance of Allah are dominant in him, then to us, this person is not stuffed full with poetry.”

From this it says that if a person is thinking more about poetry than Allah then they would be stuffed with it. Would this be considered a sin or makruh?

Jazzakallahu Khair

ameerkam
12-24-2018, 05:14 PM
Salaam

He says that the disliked kind of poetry is “perhaps what is continuously engaged in, and when it is made into a kind of profession to the point where it overcomes one and busies him from the remembrance of Allah and religious sciences, and that is how the hadeeth [against frivolous poetry mentioned above] is interpreted… so there is no harm in a little of it if one intends bringing up anecdotes, subtle niceties, high metaphors and noble meanings, even if there is the description of ‘cheeks and physiques’, because the scholars of metaphoric writing would use later poet’s writings as references for those very reasons.

… and [Ibn al Humam] mentioned that the unlawful part of poetry is those words themselves that are unlawful to use, like describing private areas, or specific, living women, or describing intoxicants in arousing ways, or bars and clubs, or disparaging a Muslim or non-Muslim member of society, if the speaker intends to disparage them…

… so there is no reason to forbid poetry [altogether]; yes, if it is regarding one who is wasting time without benefit, then he is forbidden, even if the poems had good counsel and wisdom.” [Ibn ‘Abideen, Radd al Muhtar ‘ala Durr al Mukhtar]

From here it seems that he is saying that engaging in too much frivolous poetry is makruh but at the end he says it’s forbidden. Also is the view that taking in a lot of entertainment (in the case of this, frivolous poetry) Is makruh or haraam? Because Inheard that wasting time can be mubah depending on the circumstances.

Jazzakallahu Khair

peacefulone
12-25-2018, 03:21 AM
I used to be obsessed with poetry a lot before I was Muslim. And in retrospect, it never made me happy it only made me long for something that I never had at the time and is unsustainable even when you get it.
True love is in the Quran and loving what Allah loves. Alhamdulillah I found that out after I discover Islam for myself.
But it is sad when I think of all the nonmuslims out there who are still stuck in the trap of being addicted to music and poetry about lust/love/infatuation.
I want to get through to them some day and maybe I will insha allah.

azc
12-25-2018, 06:25 AM
:wa:
https://islamqa.org/hanafi/albalagh/...0%2C2193149551

Islam and Poetry - IslamQA
Islam and Poetry...

ameerkam
12-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Assalamualaikum

I’m having trouble understanding this verse. Was this only a reference to what was going on at that time or is it universal?

“As for those poets, only the perverse follow them. Do you not see that they go too far in every direction and say things, which they cannot do?”

Jazzakallahu Khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.