/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does tabooism exist in Islam?

outspeakingsoul
12-30-2018, 08:04 PM
Salam alaikum, I hope you're doing well - i'd just like to state that this may be mildly confusing because its something that i've discovered recently and havent any resources enough. Im 16, a shia muslim, it is important that whoever reading this knows that im very vocal, globally, culturally and politically aware, i am a strict believer in equality, justice and i have come to think that i am more spiritually than religiously connected to god.

The highlight of this thread is basically how we've let our cultures mold Islam FOR US, my parents are south east asian descents, however i am a third culture kid something im really proud about because it allows me to be a better human by evaluating the vast perspectives.

SO, I apologise if im dragging this too much, it is my first accessing such a website and finally being able to try to lay out my question. But, Is there anything taboo in Islam? Being only 16 i cannot say that i know all much about Islam, mashallah it is a gloriously large aspect of life, I however dont recall any teachings that forbid or hinder us from speaking of certain issues, I understand that teachings from the Holy Book and the messenger clearly state that some things are to be kept private but why is it that even asking about some things can be considered as an offence, even to your own parent?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
12-30-2018, 11:26 PM
Walaikum Assalaam

format_quote Originally Posted by outspeakingsoul
Salam alaikum, I hope you're doing well - i'd just like to state that this may be mildly confusing because its something that i've discovered recently and havent any resources enough. Im 16, a shia muslim, it is important that whoever reading this knows that im very vocal, globally, culturally and politically aware, i am a strict believer in equality, justice and i have come to think that i am more spiritually than religiously connected to god.

The highlight of this thread is basically how we've let our cultures mold Islam FOR US, my parents are south east asian descents, however i am a third culture kid something im really proud about because it allows me to be a better human by evaluating the vast perspectives.

SO, I apologise if im dragging this too much, it is my first accessing such a website and finally being able to try to lay out my question. But, Is there anything taboo in Islam? Being only 16 i cannot say that i know all much about Islam, mashallah it is a gloriously large aspect of life, I however dont recall any teachings that forbid or hinder us from speaking of certain issues, I understand that teachings from the Holy Book and the messenger clearly state that some things are to be kept private but why is it that even asking about some things can be considered as an offence, even to your own parent?
You can really ask about anything in Islam. Allah does not forbid us from seeking knowledge. It is the manner that we seek knowledge that may have some restrictions. Also, when it comes to conversation, there are certain things we shouldn't discuss or be open about. For example, our private sins should remain private; the intimate relationship between a husband and wife, should not be shared with others; speaking ill of someone else (backbiting) is haram; etc. If you are seeking advice, then you may be able to discuss some of those things with a trusting person who can properly advise you.

Now, there are cultural norms like you speak about, which have nothing to do with Islam. If there's something which you need to know about or discuss islamically, then you shouldn't feel restricted to ask about it or learn just because of culture. Islam is a way of life so literally everything you mentioned (politics, global issues, culture, etc.) has a part in or discussed in Islam. So to think that these things are separate from Islam is wrong on your part. You can be politically aware for example, and be a practicing Muslim, but you also have to remember that as practicing Muslims, our way of life is bound by Allah's law/Islamic law, not secular law.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.