/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim congresswoman denies reports she was sworn in on Thomas Jefferson's Quran

Singularity
01-06-2019, 09:46 PM
https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/05/r...fferson-quran/
TLAIB DENIES REPORTS THAT SHE WAS SWORN IN ON THOMAS JEFFERSON’S QURAN
10:19 PM 01/05/2019 | POLITICS
Jon Brown | Contributor

Democratic Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib on Saturday denied recent reports that she was sworn in with former President Thomas Jefferson’s 18th-century Quran. Tlaib insisted that she instead used her own copy of the Islamic scriptures to make her ceremonial swear-in “more personal.”

“I used my own *personal Quran* that my best friend of 25 years gifted me to use for the ceremonial swear in (basically a photo with Speaker Pelosi). *Note: I did not use Jefferson’s Quran as reported. I wanted it to be more personal (and my own),” she wrote.

Rashida Tlaib
✔ @rashidaTlaib
I used my own *personal Quran* that my best friend of 25 years gifted me to use for the ceremonial swear in (basically a photo with Speaker Pelosi).

*Note: I did not use Jefferson's Quran as reported. I wanted it to be more personal (and my own).

6:10 PM - Jan 5, 2019
8,451 people are talking about this

Tlaib’s clarification comes after many outlets reported that the freshman congresswoman used the same two-volume English translation of the Quran once owned by Jefferson and used for the swearing-in ceremony of former Democratic Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison, who was the first Muslim elected to Congress. (RELATED: Keith Ellison Facing Violent Domestic Abuse Allegations Less Than A Week Before Primaries)

U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) places his hand on an English translation of the Koran once owned by Thomas Jefferson and held by his wife Kim (C) as he is sworn in as the first Muslim member of Congress by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi on Captitol Hill in Washington, January 4th, 2007. REUTERS/Jim Young

9:02 PM - Jan 3, 2019
469 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
On Friday she walked away from reporters who asked her about the incident. When asked about it Friday, the president characterized her comments as “disgraceful,” and claimed that such behavior dishonored both her family and herself, and showed disrespect to the United States. (RELATED: Trump Says Rashida Tlaib Dishonored Her Family, Country With Profane Impeachment Remarks)

TAGS : QURAN RASHIDA TLAIB THOMAS JEFFERSON

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.