/* */

PDA

View Full Version : It is really haram to listen to music?

Nitro Zeus
01-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Most people and scholars think it is haram based on what God says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of God

But people have declared as something haram due to the fact that music has strong influence, but they have completely misunderstood it, and I'm gonna try to codify it in easy way as possible.

If one of Rock songs contain messages that can lead people to commit sins such as: lie, suicide, assault, commit disbelief etc.. then no doubt that it is haram. Take for example, one of the songs of Michael Jackson's songs, one of his songs talks about how to be against racism and also Islam encourages us to be against racism. So, is this haram to listen to it? Of course not.

So in conclusion, music has sometimes bad message, and sometimes good message. What is good message from music? The good message from music teaches us to do good and to tell truth, but bad music tells us to be bad, liers and sinners isnt it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
eesa the kiwi
01-10-2019, 04:21 AM
Stop trying to justify it to satisfy your own desires. Music is haram

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/5000...ng-and-dancing

anatolian
01-10-2019, 06:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
Salam. How do you understand that he is doing it to satisfy his desires? When I read his post I see a logical observation. I also share his opinion on the subject.

eesa the kiwi
01-10-2019, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Salam. How do you understand that he is doing it to satisfy his desires? When I read his post I see a logical observation. I also share his opinion on the subject.
Wa alaikum Salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

Considering their are clear hadith on the subject this is one of the ways shaitaan fools muslims. As part of our fitra we dont like to knowingly commit evil. So what does shaitaan do? He gets the Muslim to find some kind of self justification as to why it's not haram

Take riba for example. Muslims know it's bad but come up with hundreds of reasons why its actually ok and what they are doing isn't actually riba

Despite the following hadith we find all kinds of reasons why music isn't haram amongst the muslims but all they are doing is proving the messenger of Allah sallaho alayhi wa sallam true

-The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

-“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

-Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence and stated that it is mu’allaq and majzoom. He said: Chapter on what was narrated concerning those who permit alcohol and call it by another name.

May Allah forgive this ummah this hadith should be sufficient for us

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
01-10-2019, 11:53 AM
When we have ahadith in bukhari which allows some kind of music and singing then what is the need of using hadith reported as taleeqan that is weaker than a weak hadith.

Sahih Bukhari & Muslim Hadith]
Volume 2, Book 15, Number 103:

Narrated 'Urwa on the authority of 'Aisha:
On the days of Mina, (11th, 12th, and 13th of Dhul-Hijjah) Abu Bakr came to her while two young girls were beating the tambourine and the Prophet was lying covered with his clothes. Abu Bakr scolded them and the Prophet uncovered his face and said to Abu Bakr, "Leave them, for these days are the days of 'Id and the days of Mina." 'Aisha further said, "Once the Prophet was screening me and I was watching the display of black slaves in the Mosque and ('Umar) scolded them.The Prophet said, 'Leave them. O Bani Arfida! (carry on), you are safe (protected)'."

Volume 2, Book 15, Number 72:
Narrated Aisha:
Abu Bakr came to my house while two small Ansari girls were singing beside me the stories of the Ansar concerning the Day of Buath. And they were not singers. Abu Bakr said protestingly, "Musical instruments of Satan in the house of Allah's Apostle !" It happened on the 'Id day andAllah's Apostle said, "O Abu Bakr! There is an 'Id for every nation and this is our 'Id."

Volume 2, Book 15, Number 70:
Narrated Aisha:
Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) came to my house while two girls were singing beside me the songs of Buath (a story about the war between the two tribes of the Ansar, the Khazraj and the Aus, before Islam). The Prophet (p.b.u.h) lay down and turned his face to the other side. Then Abu Bakr came and spoke to me harshly saying, "Musical instruments of Satan near the Prophet (p.b.u.h) ?"Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) turned his face towards him and said,"Leave them."When Abu Bakr became inattentive, I signalled to those girls to go out and they left. It was the day of 'Id, and the Black people were playing with shields and spears; so either I requested the Prophet (p.b.u.h) or he asked me whether I would like to see the display. I replied in the affirmative. Then the Prophet (p.b.u.h) made me stand behind him and my cheek was touching his cheek and he was saying, "Carry on! O Bani Arfida," till I got tired. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) asked me, "Are you satisfied (Is that sufficient for you)?" I replied in the affirmative and he told me to leave.

Some kind of music is haram and some kind of music is permitted (being subjected to conditions)

A balanced article on this topic:
https://archive.islamonline.net/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C7008209404

Nitro Zeus
01-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Fine, no music, means no music. Then how can I quit listening to music? Because, I have also strong addiction to it.
Actually, I was not trying to justify for my own desires. I was trying to explain why it is haram

azc
01-10-2019, 12:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
Fine, no music, means no music. Then how can I quit listening to music? Because, I have also strong addiction to it.
Actually, I was not trying to justify for my own desires. I was trying to explain why it is haram
Gradually, you can control on listening the music. Addiction of anything is like a disease.

Nitro Zeus
01-10-2019, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Gradually, you can control on listening the music. Addiction of anything is like a disease.
Then what should I answer if my parents will shout at me just because of not listening to music? They will claim to me that I dont want to listen to music for self developmeng in culture, and I would feel like I'm blamed. Should I even care about their shoutings towards me?

azc
01-10-2019, 12:44 PM
^If you are addicted to listening music then gradually you stop listening. I don't say you make full stop on it right now. But one day you will do it, hope so.

Why your parents shout at you for not listening music is strange.
You can develop your theoretical knowledge of your culture etc but stay away from practical if it goes against Islam.

Nitro Zeus
01-10-2019, 12:57 PM
^If you are addicted to listening music then gradually you stop listening. I don't say you make full stop on it right now. But one day you will do it, hope so.

Why your parents shout at you for not listening music is strange.
You can develop your theoretical knowledge of your culture etc but stay away from practical if it goes against Islam.
Because, they keep telling me that a smart person knows little bit from everything. A person needs to know little bit from music, art, science, theology etc... in order to have a pleasent life. This what my mother and my aunt are telling me.

Mandy
01-10-2019, 01:06 PM
If you are addicted to music, than you should understand first hand why it is considered dangerous and should be avoided.

azc
01-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Because, they keep telling me that a smart person knows little bit from everything. A person needs to know little bit from music, art, science, theology etc... in order to have a pleasent life. This what my mother and my aunt are telling me.
passive knowledge of music isn't bad , only active knowledge is objectionable in your case.

MazharShafiq
01-10-2019, 02:01 PM
The music is totally haraam, singing song is not , only the song is haraam in which some words that are a part of the shirk or the songs which are unusual words that hear the person's flame.

IslamLife00
01-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Most people and scholars think it is haram based on what God says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of God

But people have declared as something haram due to the fact that music has strong influence, but they have completely misunderstood it, and I'm gonna try to codify it in easy way as possible.

If one of Rock songs contain messages that can lead people to commit sins such as: lie, suicide, assault, commit disbelief etc.. then no doubt that it is haram. Take for example, one of the songs of Michael Jackson's songs, one of his songs talks about how to be against racism and also Islam encourages us to be against racism. So, is this haram to listen to it? Of course not.

So in conclusion, music has sometimes bad message, and sometimes good message. What is good message from music? The good message from music teaches us to do good and to tell truth, but bad music tells us to be bad, liers and sinners isnt it?
According to these hadiths, musical instruments are haram, but allowed to play on Eid as long as lyrics/message is permissible :

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As:
The Prophet (ﷺ) forbade wine (khamr), game of chance (maysir), drum (kubah), and wine made from millet (ghubayrah), saying: Every intoxicant is forbidden.
Abu Dawud said: Ibn Sallam Abu 'Ubaid said: Ghubairah was an intoxicant liquor made from millet. This wine was made by the Abyssinians (Sunan Abi dawud)

It was narrated that Al-Awza'i said:
"Umar bin 'Abdul-'Aziz wrote a letter to 'Umar bin Al-Walid in which he said: 'The share that your father gave to you was the entire Khumus,[1] but the share that your father is entitled to is the same as that of any man among the Muslims, on which is due the rights of Allah and His Messenger, and of relatives, orphans, the poor and wayfarers. How many will dispute with your father on the Day of Resurrection! How can he be saved who has so many disputants? And your openly allowing musical instruments and wind instruments is an innovation in Islam. I was thinking of sending someone to you who would cut off your evil long hair."' (Sunan An-Nasa'i)

It was narrated from Abu Malik Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
“People among my nation will drink wine, calling it by another name, and musical instruments will be played for them and singing girls (will sing for them). Allah will cause the earth to swallow them up, and will turn them into monkeys and pigs.” (Sunan Ibn Majah)

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:
that he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih al Bukhari)

Narrated `Aisha:
That during the Mina days, Abu Bakr came to her, while there where two girls with her, beating drums, and the Prophet (ﷺ) was (lying) covering himself with his garment. Abu Bakr rebuked the two girls, but the Prophet (ﷺ) uncovered his face and said, "O Abu Bakr! Leave them, for these are the days of Id (festival)." Those days were the days of Mina-. `Aisha added, "I was being screened by the Prophet (ﷺ) while I was watching the Ethiopians playing in the Mosque. `Umar rebuked them, but the Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Leave them, O Bani Arfida! Play. (for) you are safe." (Sahih al Bukhari)

Narrated Aisha:

That once Abu Bakr came to her on the day of `Id-ul-Fitr or `Id ul Adha while the Prophet (ﷺ) was with her and there were two girl singers with her, singing songs of the Ansar about the day of Buath. Abu Bakr said twice. "Musical instrument of Satan!" But the Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Leave them Abu Bakr, for every nation has an `Id (i.e. festival) and this day is our `Id." (Sahih al Bukhari)

Narrated Aisha:
Abu Bakr came to my house while two small Ansari girls were singing beside me the stories of the Ansar concerning the Day of Buath. And they were not singers. Abu Bakr said protestingly, "Musical instruments of Satan in the house of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) !" It happened on the `Id day and Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "O Abu Bakr! There is an `Id for every nation and this is our `Id." (Sahih al Bukhari)

You can read more on islamqa :

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/169673/a-specious-argument-about-the-prohibition-of-musical-instruments-and-the-response-thereto

azc
01-10-2019, 02:25 PM
@IslamLife00 : you mean listening music is haram though but on eid this haram changes into halal....?

Pinky
01-10-2019, 02:51 PM
I have an older cousin involved/ works on BBC TV shows... Is that haram?

azc
01-10-2019, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pinky
I have an older cousin involved/ works on BBC TV shows... Is that haram?
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1118...0%2C3770597790

Pinky
01-10-2019, 03:15 PM
My cousin is a he

IslamLife00
01-10-2019, 04:05 PM
@IslamLife00: you mean listening music is haram though but on eid this haram changes into halal....?
The answer is in the link provided :
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1696...sponse-thereto

Praise be to Allah
If singing is accompanied by musical instruments, then it is haraam to do it and to listen to it, whether it is done by a man or a woman, and regardless of whether the songs are romantic, motivational or religious. No exception is made from that except singing that is accompanied by the duff (hand drum) at weddings, on Eid, and upon the return of a traveller. This has been previously explained in detail in the answers to questions no. 5000, 20406 and 43736

azc
01-10-2019, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IslamLife00

Praise be to Allah
If singing is accompanied by musical instruments, then it is haraam to do it and to listen to it, whether it is done by a man or a woman, and regardless of whether the songs are romantic, motivational or religious. No exception is made from that except singing that is accompanied by the duff (hand drum) at weddings, on Eid, and upon the return of a traveller. This has been previously explained in detail in the answers to questions no. 5000, 20406 and 43736
plz see post # 5 and then compare

IslamLife00
01-10-2019, 04:19 PM
plz see post # 5 and then compare
What is there to compare? the link I provided actually mentioned the link you provided

azc
01-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Praise be to Allah
What is there to compare? the link I provided actually mentioned the link you provided
I gave this link
https://archive.islamonline.net/?_e_...0%2C3790618763

IslamLife00
01-10-2019, 04:43 PM
There is no article showing

Nitro Zeus
01-10-2019, 05:49 PM
According to these hadiths, musical instruments are haram, but allowed to play on Eid as long as lyrics/message is permissible :

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As:
The Prophet (ﷺ) forbade wine (khamr), game of chance (maysir), drum (kubah), and wine made from millet (ghubayrah), saying: Every intoxicant is forbidden.
Abu Dawud said: Ibn Sallam Abu 'Ubaid said: Ghubairah was an intoxicant liquor made from millet. This wine was made by the Abyssinians (Sunan Abi dawud)

It was narrated that Al-Awza'i said:
"Umar bin 'Abdul-'Aziz wrote a letter to 'Umar bin Al-Walid in which he said: 'The share that your father gave to you was the entire Khumus,[1] but the share that your father is entitled to is the same as that of any man among the Muslims, on which is due the rights of Allah and His Messenger, and of relatives, orphans, the poor and wayfarers. How many will dispute with your father on the Day of Resurrection! How can he be saved who has so many disputants? And your openly allowing musical instruments and wind instruments is an innovation in Islam. I was thinking of sending someone to you who would cut off your evil long hair."' (Sunan An-Nasa'i)

It was narrated from Abu Malik Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
“People among my nation will drink wine, calling it by another name, and musical instruments will be played for them and singing girls (will sing for them). Allah will cause the earth to swallow them up, and will turn them into monkeys and pigs.” (Sunan Ibn Majah)

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:
that he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih al Bukhari)

Narrated `Aisha:
That during the Mina days, Abu Bakr came to her, while there where two girls with her, beating drums, and the Prophet (ﷺ) was (lying) covering himself with his garment. Abu Bakr rebuked the two girls, but the Prophet (ﷺ) uncovered his face and said, "O Abu Bakr! Leave them, for these are the days of Id (festival)." Those days were the days of Mina-. `Aisha added, "I was being screened by the Prophet (ﷺ) while I was watching the Ethiopians playing in the Mosque. `Umar rebuked them, but the Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Leave them, O Bani Arfida! Play. (for) you are safe." (Sahih al Bukhari)

Narrated Aisha:

That once Abu Bakr came to her on the day of `Id-ul-Fitr or `Id ul Adha while the Prophet (ﷺ) was with her and there were two girl singers with her, singing songs of the Ansar about the day of Buath. Abu Bakr said twice. "Musical instrument of Satan!" But the Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Leave them Abu Bakr, for every nation has an `Id (i.e. festival) and this day is our `Id." (Sahih al Bukhari)

Narrated Aisha:
Abu Bakr came to my house while two small Ansari girls were singing beside me the stories of the Ansar concerning the Day of Buath. And they were not singers. Abu Bakr said protestingly, "Musical instruments of Satan in the house of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) !" It happened on the `Id day and Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "O Abu Bakr! There is an `Id for every nation and this is our `Id." (Sahih al Bukhari)

You can read more on islamqa :

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/169673/a-specious-argument-about-the-prohibition-of-musical-instruments-and-the-response-thereto
Then, how can I explain to my mother and sister that it is sinful to listen to songs generally speaking? Because, if I tell them simply like this, they would think that I'm crazy and dump.

IslamLife00
01-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Then, how can I explain to my mother and sister that it is sinful to listen to songs generally speaking? Because, if I tell them simply like this, they would think that I'm crazy and dump.
If they are not muslims, do not expect them to understand what is lawful and unlawful in Islam.

You are the muslim, it is you who need to understand, accept and apply in your life. Whatever it is you are able to do, from the Qur'an and sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa salaam, do it and do not delay because you will answer Allah about your deeds and you never know when Allah will take you back.

Explain to your family the best you can. Show them the hadiths, the link I provided. Don't worry about their opinions, their reactions, what they will say or do to you. They too will return to Allah when their time comes. They will answer Him about their deeds.

Nitro Zeus
01-10-2019, 08:26 PM
If they are not muslims, do not expect them to understand what is lawful and unlawful in Islam.

You are the muslim, it is you who need to understand, accept and apply in your life. Whatever it is you are able to do, from the Qur'an and sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa salaam, do it and do not delay because you will answer Allah about your deeds and you never know when Allah will take you back.

Explain to your family the best you can. Show them the hadiths, the link I provided. Don't worry about their opinions, their reactions, what they will say or do to you. They too will return to Allah when their time comes. They will answer Him about their deeds.
I tried to show them, but my aunt told me: "Whoever said in the internet that it is sinful or haram to listen to music is a dump or a lier, because music can be either halal or haram. And anyone can tell on internet anything".

Sometimes I wonder why God did decreed To Prohibit us music when He could Prohibit only the music that does send evil and violent message. Like for example, He could grant us permission to listen for example: AC/DC, Voltage(Romanian band) etc... only music that has nice and peaceful message. Some things are hard to be explained and to be understood.

Mandy
01-10-2019, 09:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pinky
My cousin is a he
I would suggest it depends on the type of show your cousin works on. If it is, lets say the news, it is probably alright. If he produces music shows, in that case, it would be a problem.

But regardless, I would advise that he remain vigilant as that type of work will probably bring him to work with people who indulge in many haram things.

IslamLife00
01-10-2019, 11:22 PM
I tried to show them, but my aunt told me: "Whoever said in the internet that it is sinful or haram to listen to music is a dump or a lier, because music can be either halal or haram. And anyone can tell on internet anything".

Sometimes I wonder why God did decreed To Prohibit us music when He could Prohibit only the music that does send evil and violent message. Like for example, He could grant us permission to listen for example: AC/DC, Voltage(Romanian band) etc... only music that has nice and peaceful message. Some things are hard to be explained and to be understood.
At least you have tried. I have posted what I needed to post to answer your question. The rest is with Allah.

Nitro Zeus
01-11-2019, 05:45 PM
At least you have tried. I have posted what I needed to post to answer your question. The rest is with Allah.
Now when a scholar tells that it all depends on the music whether that it can be halal or haram depending on us how we are using, I cannot trust anymore scholars because I cannot find any interpretention of the Prophet about this, so I can obly trust when I see one of their quotes from the Prophet, but if there is no quote, then I can't trust, I'm still having doubts in this music. I mean, if I see a quote from the Prophet saying just as what scholars tells us and what my parents tells me, then I can truly believe, but now I cant. I can only believe the fact that is haram only.

IslamLife00
01-12-2019, 04:30 AM
Now when a scholar tells that it all depends on the music whether that it can be halal or haram depending on us how we are using, I cannot trust anymore scholars because I cannot find any interpretention of the Prophet about this, so I can obly trust when I see one of their quotes from the Prophet, but if there is no quote, then I can't trust, I'm still having doubts in this music. I mean, if I see a quote from the Prophet saying just as what scholars tells us and what my parents tells me, then I can truly believe, but now I cant. I can only believe the fact that is haram only.
My post # 14 already quoted the hadiths of the prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa salaam. And the Islamqa link I provided explains the hadiths.

If you still don't understand you can contact Islamqa directly.

Avoiding musical instruments completely is of course better. That means you avoid playing and listening to them completely, including on Eid day. I do this myself, and I don't feel like missing out on anything.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.