/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the Laghw

azc
01-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Arabic word“Laghw” used in the Quran means “vain, useless talk or pastime.”Anything that is not beneficial for one’s self, for others, or for the hereafter (dunya or Aakhirah) falls into the realm of Laghw. It has no place in a proper Muslim life.Paradise will have no Laghw in it.

“They will hear no vain talk therein, nor any call to sin.” (Qur’an, 56:25)

The sincere believers avoid useless talk and actions even in the life of this world. Some meetings, pastimes, habits and hobbies are so utterly useless that wise people among non-Muslims too avoid them.

In order to check whether what we do comes under Laghw or not, we should ask ourselves two key questions:

1. Will this benefit me in this world and the hereafter?
2. Is there something else more beneficial that I can do?
Useless conversation to “kill boredom” is so common nowadays. Picking up the phone to talk without any specific purpose, meeting people all the time to have chit-chats over food, spending hours in front of the TV or in online chat-rooms are all Laghw. In addition, comedians who say anything to make people laugh, even fabricated statements, and drama and films that are fantastical and far-fetched and give us no beneficial knowledge- all fall under Laghw.

The worse part is, most of the Laghw talk and acts often lead to sins of various types like gheebah, lying, foul talk etc.

If one consistently and honestly guards one’s pastimes by rating them according to the above two questions, he or she in the long term can really make the most out of life.

Given below is the Quran and Hadith warnings against Laghw:
Quran:

And say to My slaves (believers) thatthey should (only) say those words that are the best(in which no one's heart is hurt). Because Shaitan, verily, provokes discord among them. Surely, Shaitan is to man an open enemy. [Al-Isra 17: 53]

While mentioning the qualities of believers Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala says:

And those whoturn away from unprofitableand shameful talk and actions. [Al-Mu'minun 23: 03]

Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala while mentioning the qualities of believers, says:

And those who do not participate in false works (neither lie, nor give false witness, nor attend meetings of wrong affairs and sins).And when they pass by vain/ non-beneficial meetings they pass honourably. [Al-Furqan 25: 72]

Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala says:
And when they hear unprofitable and shameful talk, they withdraw from it. [Al-Qasas 28:55]
Hadiths:

Abu Hurairah (Radiyallahu 'anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) said: The excellence and good observance of Islam by a manis to leave aside that which does not concern him. (Tirmidhi)

Note: The meaning of this hadith is that the perfection and beauty of a man's belief is reflected in his giving up unprofitable talk and actions.

'Uqba ibne-'Amir (Radiyallahu 'anhu) narrates that I asked: O Rasulallah! What is the way to salvation? He said:Control your tongue, remain in your house, and weep over your sins. (Tirmidhi)

Note: Control your tongue means that it should not be used wrongly, e.g. backbiting, slandering, talking immodestly,speaking unnecessarily, talking carelessly, quarrelling, abusing, cursing men and animals, excessively indulging in poetry, mocking, disclosing secrets, making false promises, swearing falsely, duplicity, flattery andasking unneccessary questions.

(Ithaf of Allama Zabedi-the commentary of Ihya ul Uloom)

Abu Dhar (Radiallahu 'anhu) narrates: I went to Rasulullah (Sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) and said: O RasulAllah! Advise me. He mentioned a long Hadith till he said:Observe prolonged silence, for this drives away the Shaitan and helps you in your Religious affairs.

Abu Dhar said: Advise me more. He said: Avoid too much laughing, for indeed it brings death to the heart, and removes the Nur (light) of the face. (Baihaqi)

Bilal ibne-Harith Al-Muzani (Radiyallahu 'anhu), a companion of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam narrates: I heard Rasulullah Sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam saying: One of you says something that pleases Allah, which he does not deem important, but by this saying, Allah :swt: destines His pleasure for him till the Day of Resurrection. And someone of you says something that displeases Allah :swt:, which he does not deem important, but by this saying, Allah :swt: destines His displeasure for him till the Day of Resurrection.
(Tirmidhi with a grading of Hasan-Sahih)

Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (Radiyallahu 'anhu) narrates that Nabi Sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam said:A man says such a word considering it to be insignificant and only to make people laugh, by which he.............
http://tazkiyatips.blogspot.com/2013/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.