/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to be spiritual?

outspeakingsoul
01-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Recently I've realized that i've become more vocal and more supporting of global issues, rights of people (this includes lgbtq+ people as well), animals and just overall justice and goodness, I very much appreciate my religion on great levels however there are some things I contradict and sometimes question, here's my first question - is it wrong to question something as greatly and clearly stated like some things in Islam and Islam itself? I dont mean it negatively, im 16 and i've been taught to know why and how and Im someone who gets curious and questions things alot.
The things i contradict are mostly things i 'believe' have been modified or added to by culture, patriarchal culture especially, there have been some cases i've elaborated on on other threads of mine that sort of explain what i mean by this.

Is it possible to be more spiritual than religious? Please keep in mind, I ask this while not knowing and understanding the meaning of being spiritual, is it wrong by any means?

I consider myself to be more spiritual, this may be because im deeply invested in loving this world, the greatly varying types of people and the innocent animals - is it wrong to make duas for animals? I cant help but ask and pray God for the blessing and betterment of such people and often animals i see or come by. Street animals make my heart churn for these poor beings, and i sometimes think it must hurt God too to see his own creations in poor states in his own created world, we're the same too - i think our sins make us poor and helpless beings aside from wordly social rankings and financial states.

I also support lgbtq people, i believe that my religion is only my religion, it should only affect my way of life, my obligatory duties, my modesty, humanity and my kindness and respect to other people, i dont think it concerns itself with others' choices and state of being. Im not aware if islam orders me not to support such kind of people, but islam does tell me to act with kindness and love all and everyone, and i love these people for being happy for themselves, i hope im not going against my religion for being humane.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MazharShafiq
01-12-2019, 04:42 PM
when people call themselves spiritual they are basically signaling three things: first, that they believe there is more to the world than meets the eye, that is to say, more than the mere material. Second, that they try to attend to their inner life — to their mental and emotional states — in the hopes of gaining a certain kind of self-knowledge. Third, that they value the following virtues: being compassionate, empathetic and open-hearted.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.