/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can a Muslim girl receive massages from a non-Muslim male physiotherapist?

Friend1989
01-24-2019, 05:07 PM
She's 26, Arab and engaged. Her job is assistance to an elderly woman, living with her in a small rural town (around 3.000 inhabitants) in Europe. The problem is back pain due to scoliosis, a common problem. The only available physiotherapist is a (quite attractive) man in his 30's, although he seems very professional and has a partner and a son. The massage involves even lower back, shirtless. It would be done at the elderly woman house, a couple times a week. Is this permitted?

She doesn't speak English, I wrote this on her behalf and I'll translate the answers to her, so it could take some time. I'm the (female) nephew of the woman she works with.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
bint e aisha
01-24-2019, 05:47 PM
That is haraam. Forget about touching, it is not even allowed to show any of her body part (apart from face and hands).

Friend1989
01-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Exceptions for medical reasons? He's the only physiotherapist available here without going bankrupt calling a female one from far away (and however she would be still a non-Muslim female).

bint e aisha
01-24-2019, 07:55 PM
It would still not be allowed but you may ask the question on the following site to a Mufti since I'm not knowledgeable enough.

https://www.fatwaa.com/new-question/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mandy
01-24-2019, 08:05 PM
I would second Aisha. The whole situation is normally haram.

But this is not a comfort thing but a medical need. So it might be considered similar to a woman seeing a male doctor (to be avoided but in case it is life or death it would be allowable). But this is obviously a complex question and you should seek advice from an islamic scholar if you want a definitive answer. I do not believe anyone here is qualified to give you more than a personal opinion on such a matter.

RisingLight
01-25-2019, 12:51 PM
I finished a medical university (not going to say what profession,not a nurse for sure) and also masseur school and as far as i know no matter how many massages you make,you will.never get rid of pain.You will only get rid of it for as long as you keep getting massages.
The best thing to do is exercises,to eleminate the scoliosis.Check them online or ask a better physiotherapist,better save your money.Massage alone can only fix muscle.problems not
Bone problems.Scoliosis is a fixable bone problem :)

MazharShafiq
01-25-2019, 05:14 PM
this is obviously a complex question and you should seek advice from an islamic scholar if you want a definitive answer. I do not believe anyone here is qualified to give you more than a personal opinion on such a matter.

Friend1989
01-26-2019, 06:02 PM
Answered by a scholar on fatwaa.com (thank you Aisha): "In light of all the conditions which you have explained, it will be permissible for you to do treatment by this male doctor, whilst the elderly female is in the room. You should ensure that only that portion which needs to be open is unveiled. The rest of your body should be covered."

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.fatwaa.com/muslim-girl-r...ysiotherapist/

Insaanah
01-26-2019, 07:15 PM
You didn’t mention in the question you asked on the fatwa site that you found him attractive. It’s possible that that could have a bearing on the answer.

bint e aisha
01-26-2019, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
You didn’t mention in the question you asked on the fatwa site that you found him attractive. It’s possible that that could have a bearing on the answer.
I agree with this post. When asking for a fatwa, all the details should be provided even if you consider them irrelevant. Allah knows best.

Friend1989
01-26-2019, 09:10 PM
A clarification is needed. I'm acting as a translator for the girl in question and here I've wrote this speaking of her in third person, I think the physiotherapist is attractive because he's tall and athletic but the girl didn't express an opinion on this. When I wrote asking the fatwa I translated exactly (or at least I tried) her words. Sorry for the misunderstanding, my bad.

bint e aisha
01-27-2019, 08:58 AM
I would be very cautious in this regard but since you've taken fatwa, you may go with it. Ask her to seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan before the treatment starts and during it. May Allah make it easy for your friend, remove her pain and grant her aafiyah. Wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.