/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Planet Earth 2

DanEdge
02-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Having recently seen some beautiful and rare photos of a black leopard in Kenya, I was reminded of my favorite all-time animal documentary series: Planet Earth by BBC. Over 10 years ago, I was blown away by the first Planet Earth series, and the second installment is just as good.

Part of what made the first series so impressive was the camera technology they used to get seemingly up close video of animals from far away in a helicopter. The program's producers were pioneers in this new technology.

Part 2 of the series, released just last year and available in 4k, is different but equally astounding. Their aim was to get closer than ever before to some of the most rarely seen life forms on the planet. Here again, they utilized new technology to achieve amazing results. This time, they used motion-activated hi-def cameras - left out in the wild for weeks - to record super close-up video.

A special treat for me was getting to meet a magnificently beautiful snow leopard - native to the high mountains of Afghanistan - virtually face-to-face.

BBC also produced the Blue Planet series of documentaries, the second of which came out just a few months ago and is available in 4k. I can't recommend these enough -- truly inspiring.

A link to the trailer is below:

https://youtu.be/c8aFcHFu8QM

Dan EdgeAttachment 6595

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DanEdge
02-14-2019, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DanEdge
Having recently seen some beautiful and rare photos of a black leopard in Kenya, I was reminded of my favorite all-time animal documentary series: Planet Earth by BBC. Over 10 years ago, I was blown away by the first Planet Earth series, and the second installment is just as good.

Part of what made the first series so impressive was the camera technology they used to get seemingly up close video of animals from far away in a helicopter. The program's producers were pioneers in this new technology.

Part 2 of the series, released just last year and available in 4k, is different but equally astounding. Their aim was to get closer than ever before to some of the most rarely seen life forms on the planet. Here again, they utilized new technology to achieve amazing results. This time, they used motion-activated hi-def cameras - left out in the wild for weeks - to record super close-up video.

A special treat for me was getting to meet a magnificently beautiful snow leopard - native to the high mountains of Afghanistan - virtually face-to-face.

BBC also produced the Blue Planet series of documentaries, the second of which came out just a few months ago and is available in 4k. I can't recommend these enough -- truly inspiring.

A link to the trailer is below:

https://youtu.be/c8aFcHFu8QM

Dan EdgeAttachment 6595
While I'm at it, here's one of the photos of that black leopard from Kenya. Beautiful.
Attachment 6596

Insaanah
02-15-2019, 09:42 PM
Blue Planet II was breathtakingly beautiful and amazing, and I can't recommend it highly enough. One of the episodes was the most watched programme of 2017 in the UK, with several of them in the top 10 list.
The crew described seeing things they didn't even know existed, and found life where they didn't know it was possible, five miles under the ocean, where it is pitch black and the pressure is the same as having 50 jumbo jets stacked one on top of another.
Would you believe that there really is an underwater dawn chorus.
"The seven heavens and the earth and whatever is in them exalt Him. And there is not a thing except that it exalts [ Allah ] by His praise, but you do not understand their [way of] exalting. Indeed, He is ever Forbearing and Forgiving". (Quran 17:44)
From fish doing the housework, to going to their favourite place every morning to get breakfast, bring it back to their kitchen and use tools to enable them to eat it (all without hands) , to a turtle going to the spa and more.
The last, tragic episode was about the impact of plastic on animals, a real eye opener, so much so that that episode influenced national policy on single use plastic from virtually the next day.
For anyone that wants to reflect on the signs and creation of the Creator, highly recommended.

DanEdge
02-15-2019, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Blue Planet II was breathtakingly beautiful and amazing, and I can't recommend it highly enough. One of the episodes was the most watched programme of 2017 in the UK, with several of them in the top 10 list.
The crew described seeing things they didn't even know existed, and found life where they didn't know it was possible, five miles under the ocean, where it is pitch black and the pressure is the same as having 50 jumbo jets stacked one on top of another.
Would you believe that there really is an underwater dawn chorus.
"The seven heavens and the earth and whatever is in them exalt Him. And there is not a thing except that it exalts [ Allah ] by His praise, but you do not understand their [way of] exalting. Indeed, He is ever Forbearing and Forgiving". (Quran 17:44)
From fish doing the housework, to going to their favourite place every morning to get breakfast, bring it back to their kitchen and use tools to enable them to eat it (all without hands) , to a turtle going to the spa and more.
The last, tragic episode was about the impact of plastic on animals, a real eye opener, so much so that that episode influenced national policy on single use plastic from virtually the next day.
For anyone that wants to reflect on the signs and creation of the Creator, highly recommended.
I believe that it is episode 2 that is about the deepest, darkest part of the ocean. That was my favorite one! If you submerge a coin to that depth, it will come back up flattened out as thin as a hair. Yet all manner of creatures live out their lives there. Some of them even create their own light sources through biological chemical reactions. It's just incredible.

Dan Edge

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
02-16-2019, 05:55 PM
I believe that it is episode 2 that is about the deepest, darkest part of the ocean. That was my favorite one! If you submerge a coin to that depth, it will come back up flattened out as thin as a hair. Yet all manner of creatures live out their lives there. Some of them even create their own light sources through biological chemical reactions. It's just incredible.
And there will be more still that no one knows about, perhaps some that no one will ever know about, inaccessible and beyond reach.

“And with Him are the keys of the unseen; none knows them except Him. And He knows what is on the land and in the sea. Not a leaf falls but that He knows it. And no grain is there within the darknesses of the earth and no moist or dry [thing] but that it is [written] in a clear record.” (Quran, 6:59)

To think that some people think this all came about randomly by accident, portraying those who believe in the Creator as irrational.

Insaanah
02-17-2019, 05:40 PM
Attachment 6599

Attachment 6600

Attachment 6601

Attachment 6598

Corals are colonies of anemone like animals called polyps, some as small as grains of sand. Inside each polyp, are minute plant like cells invisible to the naked eye, that provide the polyps with up to 90% of their food. They are works of art.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.