/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Predestination/fate/kismet/destiny versus freewill

Imraan
02-19-2019, 12:21 AM
So in the past I have always been asking myself in certain situations especially where I would be dealing with predicaments, is it down to my fate or was it down to my freewill?. I got responses like 'fate is freewill' or 'freewill is fate'. Basically what they implied was 'you control your destiny' and 'by pursuing your own path using your own free will, you are in control of how you get to it (or your destination)'.

Some of the calamities or successes we face in life we tend to put it down to kismet fate etc. Right? .... For reasoning, don't we? I do, or did for the most part. Always looked for logical reasons, the more linear, clear and consice the more my heart would be content. I'm that kind of guy. I'm sure there's other too.

However we have freewill too. Do we dig our own holes or shoot ourselves in the foot because of our stupidity? Most of us are blessed with independence, intelligence etc and are equipped to make our own decisions. These attributes, we have been given as a blessing by Allah swt off course 100%. And we as firm believers know nothing happens without the will of our Lord. Now, I'm not trying to shirk away from responsibilities or escape from admitting my mistakes by makimg this an excuse. I want to emphasise that from my recollection I believe wise men in the past said "although the will is from Allah swt, it is still our duty to exercise caution in whatever we do". What can I say, in todays day and age / society and the general population, sometimes the second part is forgotten or even both parts are forgotten in some cases. In modern society we see it for ourselves all over the place.

Personally I have faced calamities in my life, some I believe which are out of my control (example death in the family) and some down to my own stupidity (although my intentions were good I assure you), example: spousal selection for marriage. Where it was down to my stupidity, is it possible I was destined to make these decisions even though I believed I was making the right decision at the time to complete an obligation put on us as muslims?

As firm believers are we supposed to enforce the belief that no matter what we do in this life, the destiny and journey whether good or bad is always mapped out by Allah swt because he is our eternal Lord the all knowing. And that "whatever you get in this life, Good or bad, at the end of the day, the final decree belongs to Allah swt".

We live in a society now where some of us have to make difficult choices, day in day out, life is a constant struggle, we yearn and pray for ease and the only things that get us through it is our faith, perseverance and conviction that Allah swt is always with us no matter what we do..... Insh Allah.

It would be interesting to know what other people's opinion is on this and if anyone can offer me their wisdom or elaborate on divine guidance in accordance with our sunnah... Then Jazak Allah. May Allah swt reward you abundantly.

My paranoia and persona makes me wonder if it is just my personal curiosity which makes me read and delve in to too much unknowns? Am I complicating it too much. People would often criticise me saying I think too much. On the other hand people would praise me for my thoroughness. I'm not doubting anything in Islam. Just reaffirming with a view of strengthening my imaan, my conduct, my wisdom, my intelligence and my character Insh Allah. Don't worry no was wasa's from shaytan here, just a pursuit for better understanding.

May Allah guide us all Insh Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IslamLife00
02-21-2019, 03:12 PM
To me, it's not free will vs predetermination. Both are from Allah.
We have the freedom to choose, but not the freedom from consequences of our decision. I am responsible of my deeds as you are yours.
That freedom itself is limited by Qadr of Allah, so it's not unlimited freedom. We can only get as far as Qadr of Allah allows.

I understand you are curious. But life in this dunya is a test and everything is created with Qadr of Allah. The only One without limit, is Allah.
You may think something is good for you, or that what you want is not forbidden - still, Allah is Most Knowing what is good for you.

Brother, just do your best within what is permissible, Allah does not burden a soul beyond what it can bear.
Don't forget keep the acts of worship, it is why we are created, and to Allah we all return.
May Allah ease your hardship and grant you hidayah.

M.I.A.
02-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Yes your complicating it too much. Simply because even if you knew explicitly why things happen..

What could you do to avert them?

Would you jump at everything that you didnt agree with? Or wanted?

Or plan for the next day to try to avoid being in the forest when the tree falls.

...someone posted this in a thread a while ago and it resonated in me to the point, where I knew that our understanding will always be flawed by who we are.. no matter our sincerity, connection or conviction in Allah swt.

At the end of the day it's always going to be other people who we cant control..

So how does one reconcile your free will and predestination with respect to those you interact with? ..the free will and predestination they have.

Anyway here it is if you can get your head around its many questions and answers.

...its not pandering to the non-muslims, and encouraging you down any dark path wont be good for anyone either.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...24&version=NCV

And an alternative version worth reading..

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...21&version=NIV

Maybe both are wrong? Maybe another exists?

But it's still there to compare against your own understanding.

However we have freewill too. Do we dig our own holes or shoot ourselves in the foot because of our stupidity? Most of us are blessed with independence, intelligence etc and are equipped to make our own decisions. These attributes, we have been given as a blessing by Allah swt off course 100%. And we as firm believers know nothing happens without the will of our Lord. Now, I'm not trying to shirk away from responsibilities or escape from admitting my mistakes by makimg this an excuse. I want to emphasise that from my recollection I believe wise men in the past said "although the will is from Allah swt, it is still our duty to exercise caution in whatever we do". What can I say, in todays day and age / society and the general population, sometimes the second part is forgotten or even both parts are forgotten in some cases. In modern society we see it for ourselves all over the place.
..seems like you already know what it takes to be where you want to be.

To take responsibility of our own actions, rectify mistakes and habits.

Become steadfast.

..and hopefully better options should present themselves.

Although if any of us are able to live under the rule of... another "man" is a different topic.

Imraan
03-01-2019, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IslamLife00
To me, it's not free will vs predetermination. Both are from Allah.
We have the freedom to choose, but not the freedom from consequences of our decision. I am responsible of my deeds as you are yours.
That freedom itself is limited by Qadr of Allah, so it's not unlimited freedom. We can only get as far as Qadr of Allah allows.

I understand you are curious. But life in this dunya is a test and everything is created with Qadr of Allah. The only One without limit, is Allah.
You may think something is good for you, or that what you want is not forbidden - still, Allah is Most Knowing what is good for you.

Brother, just do your best within what is permissible, Allah does not burden a soul beyond what it can bear.
Don't forget keep the acts of worship, it is why we are created, and to Allah we all return.
May Allah ease your hardship and grant you hidayah.
Jazak Allah Brother IslamLife00, Good advice maashAllah!

people tend to forget about the consequences... aw man, may Allah swt guide us and avert any bad consequences.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Yes your complicating it too much. Simply because even if you knew explicitly why things happen..

What could you do to avert them?

Would you jump at everything that you didnt agree with? Or wanted?

Or plan for the next day to try to avoid being in the forest when the tree falls.

...someone posted this in a thread a while ago and it resonated in me to the point, where I knew that our understanding will always be flawed by who we are.. no matter our sincerity, connection or conviction in Allah swt.

At the end of the day it's always going to be other people who we cant control..

So how does one reconcile your free will and predestination with respect to those you interact with? ..the free will and predestination they have.

Anyway here it is if you can get your head around its many questions and answers.

...its not pandering to the non-muslims, and encouraging you down any dark path wont be good for anyone either.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...24&version=NCV

And an alternative version worth reading..

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...21&version=NIV

Maybe both are wrong? Maybe another exists?

But it's still there to compare against your own understanding.

..seems like you already know what it takes to be where you want to be.

To take responsibility of our own actions, rectify mistakes and habits.

Become steadfast.

..and hopefully better options should present themselves.

Although if any of us are able to live under the rule of... another "man" is a different topic.
Jazak Allah brother M.I.A., bottom line stay away from bad people, or people who have a negative affect on you or bring negative vibes into whatever relationship you have with them, ....no exceptions. This approach does mean we'd trust people less and not give any benefit of doubt or presume everyone is innocent.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.