/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Nine Conditions of The Shahadah

k.ibrahim
03-22-2019, 10:46 PM
Bismillah Ir-Rahman, Ir-Raheem. Ashahadu An Laa illaaha illal llahu
Wa Ash Hadu Anna Muhammadan Abdu Hu Wa Rasooluhu
''I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah
who is without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) is the Rasool.''
"O Allah, Shower Your Peace come upon Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as you have brought peace to Ibrahim and his family.
Truly, You are Praiseworthy and Glorious. O Allah, Shower your blessing upon Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as you have blessed Ibrahim and his family. Truly, You are Praiseworthy and Glorious". I am Satisfied with Allâh as My Rabb and Cherisher, I am Satisfied With Islam as My Din(religion) and I am satisfied with Muhammad as a Rasulallah (Messenger)sallallahu alaihi was salam .-------------------------------------------The Nine Conditions of the Shahadah are known as:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (1)Knowledge:
That is, one must have the basic and general knowledge of what is meant by the shahadah. One must understand what the shahadah is affirming and what the shahadah is denying. Allah says in the Qur'an,
"So know that there is no God save Allah, and ask forgiveness for your sin."
(Surah Muhammad: 19).
Similarly, Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam)said,
“Whoever dies knowing that there is no one worthy of worship except Allah shall enter Paradise.”
(Recorded in Sahih Muslim).
In fact, the shahadah itself is a testimony. When one testifies to something, one must know what it is that he is testifying concerns. Obviously, a testimony about something that one does not have any knowledge about is absolutely unacceptable. Allah says in the Qur'an,
"Except him who bears witness unto the truth knowingly."
(Surah Al-Zukhruf: 86).
(2)Certainty:
This is the opposite of doubt and uncertainty. In Islam, in fact, any kind of doubt is equivalent to Kufr or disbelief. We must, in our hearts, be absolutely certain of the truth of the shahadah. Our hearts must not be wavering in any way when we testify to the truth of, "There is none worthy of worship except Allah." Allah describes the believers in the Qur'an as those who have belief in Allah and then their hearts waver not. Allah says,
"the (true) believers are those only who believe in Allah and His Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) and afterward doubt not, but strive with their wealth and their lives for the cause of Allah. Such are the sincere."
(al-Hujjarat : 15).
Similarly, Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam)said, "No one meets Allah with the testimony that there is none worthy of worship but Allah and I am the Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) , and he has no doubt about hat statement, except that he will enter Paradise." (Recorded by Muslim.)
Indeed, Allah describes the hypocrites as those people whose hearts are wavering. For example, Allah says,
"They alone seek leave of thee (not to participate in jihad) who believe not in Allah and the Last Day and whose hearts feel doubt, so in their doubt they waver."
(al-Tauba: 45).
Many scholars have stated that the diseases of the heart, or the doubt and suspicions that one allows into one's heart, are more dangerous for a person's faith than lusts and desires. This is because lusts and desires may be satisfied at some time yet the person still knows them to be wrong and he may control himself and repent and give up that evil deed. On the other hand, the doubts and suspicions may linger in the heart, with no cure, until the person finally leaves Islam entirely or continues to practice Islam while, in fact, in his heart he does not have the true faith. The greatest cure for these doubts is seeking knowledge. It is through sound knowledge of the Qur'an and the Sunnah that most of these doubts will be removed.
(3)Acceptance:
If a person has knowledge of and certainty in the shahadah, this must be followed by acceptance, with the tongue and heart, of whatever that shahadah implies. Whoever refuses to accept the shahadah and its implications, even if he knows that it is true and certain about its truth, then he is a disbeliever. This refusal to accept is sometimes due to pride, envy or other reasons.
In any case, the shahadah is not a true shahadah without its unconditional acceptance. The scholars all talk about this condition as a general condition in the way that I have just stated. However, there is also a more detailed aspect that we must all be aware of. The believer accepts whatever the implications of the shahadah are. This also means that he believes in whatever is stated in the Qur'an or stated by Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) without any right to choose what he wants to believe and what he wants to reject. Allah says in the Qur'an,
"Do you believe in part of the book and reject part of it? And what is the reward of those who do so, except humiliation in the life of this world, and on the Day of Resurrection they will be sent to the most dreadful doom." (al-Baqarah: 85).
This is one aspect that the Muslims must be aware of. Although it is not the same as the complete refusal to accept the truth, by rejecting part of the truth that has come from Allah, one also negates his testimony of faith. Unfortunately, many Muslims are doing this nowadays in various ways. Although not all of these forms may necessarily be considered apostasy, they are still very dangerous. For example, if they do not like what is stated in a verse in the Qur'an, they simply reinterpret the verse according to their liking. If they do not like what is stated in a hadeeth, they simply state that the hadeeth must not be authentic although they are not scholars in that area. This kind of behavior is the antithesis of the behavior of the true Muslims. Whatever comes from Allah and His Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam), the true Muslim believes in as the truth. This goes hand in hand with their testimony of faith.
(4)Submission:
This implies the actual physical enactment with our deeds of our shahadah. In fact, this is one of the main meanings of the word Islam itself, "the submission to the will and commands of Allah." This is what Allah commands in the Qur'an,
"Turn unto Him repentant, and surrender unto Him" (al-Zumar: 54).
Allah has praised those who submit to His command by their actions. Allah says,
"Who is better in religion than he who surrenders his purpose to Allah while doing good" (al-Nisa: 125).
Actually, Allah has clearly made it a condition of faith that one submits to the command of Allah and His Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam). Allah says,
"But nay, by your Lord, they will not truly believe until they make you [ Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam)] judge of what is in dispute between them and find within themselves no dislike of which you decide, and submit with full submission" (al-Nisa: 65)
Unfortunately, there are many that claim that there is no relationship between faith and deeds. You can even hear one Muslim saying about another, "That is the best Muslim I have ever met," yet the other person performs scarcely any of the deeds of Islam whatsoever. This incorrect understanding of faith has spread throughout the Muslim world. Indeed, our shahadah or testimony of faith must be implemented or realized in our hearts, tongues and actions. In our hearts, we must have love for Allah, fear Allah and hope in Him. With our tongues we must testify to the shahadah. And with our actions, we must implement what the testimony of faith requires from us.
Anyone who claims to be a Muslim and yet does no deeds, either does not understand Islam whatsoever or is bearing testimony against himself that his testimony of faith is not a true and correct testimony of faith. This does not mean that the true believer never commits a sin. Indeed, true believers do commit sins, but as long as they recognize that what they did is not correct and it is inconsistent with their obligation of submitting to Allah, then they have not violated the soundness of their testimony or shahadah. But do not forget they are still sinners. And what is the minimum of submission that is required from a person beyond whom there can be no claim to faith? For those scholars who say that the abandonment of prayers is infidelity, it is the five daily prayers. Whoever does not perform, at least, the five daily prayers have gone beyond the limit that is acceptable for lack of deeds. Allah knows best.
(5)Truth:
This means that when we say the shahadah, we are saying it honestly. We actually mean it. We are not lying when it comes to our testimony of faith. Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) said, "No one bears testimony to there being no one worth of worship save Allah, sincerely from his heart, except that Allah makes the Hell-fire forbidden for him." (Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim.)
We are all familiar with those who say the testimony of faith yet they are not saying it honestly. They do not believe in it but they are simply saying it in order to protect themselves or to get some gain from doing so; these are the hypocrites. Allah has described them in the opening of the Qur'an with the following words,
"And of mankind are some who say, 'We believe in Allah and the Last Day,' when they believe not. They think to beguile Allah and those who believe, and they beguile none save themselves, but they perceive not. In their hearts is a disease, and Allah increases their disease. A painful doom is theirs because they lie" (al-Baqarah: 8-10).
Obviously, the shahadah of those who become Muslims simply to benefit from being Muslim and not because they believe in Islam will be rejected by Allah in the Hereafter. They will face a painful punishment due to their lying.
(6)Sincerity:
That is, when we make the shahadah, we must do so solely for the sake of Allah. We must not do it for any other reason. And we must not do it for anyone else's sake. In this manner, the meaning of sincerity is opposite of Shirk or ascribing partners with Allah. We became and remain Muslims solely for Allah's sake. Allah says in the Qur'an,
"Worship Allah, making religion pure for him" (al-Zumar: 2).
And Allah also says,
"And they are ordained not else than to serve Allah, keeping religion pure for Him, as men by nature upright and to establish worship and to pay the poor-due. That is true religion" (al-Bayinah: 5).
And Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) added, "Allah has forbidden for the Hell-fire anyone who says, 'There is no one worthy of worship except Allah,' and say so desiring the face [and pleasure] of Allah." (Recorded by Muslim).
This is something that we should all think about, especially those of us who grew up in Muslim families and were born Muslim. We should make it very clear to ourselves that we are Muslims only for the sake of Allah. We are not Muslims for the sake of our parents, friends, family or community. It must be clear in our minds that we are Muslims for the sake of Allah first, last and only. One of the signs that we are Muslims for the sake of Allah is that we do whatever Allah asks of us, regardless of what anybody else desires or wants from us. That is, in the same way that we are Muslims solely for the sake of Allah, all of our actions are done for the sake of Allah. (7)Love:
That is, the believer loves this shahadah, he loves in accordance with the shahadah, he loves the implications and requirements of the shahadah and he loves those who act and strive for the sake of this shahadah. This is a necessary condition of the shahadah. If a person makes the shahadah but does not love the shahadah and what it stands for, then, in fact, his faith is not complete. It is not the faith of a true believer. And if he loves something more that this shahadah or if he loves something more than Allah, then he has negated his shahadah. The true believer, the one meeting the conditions of the shahadah puts no one whatsoever as an equal to Allah in his love. Allah says in the Qur'an,
"Yet of mankind are some who take unto themselves (objects of worship which they set as) rivals to Allah, loving them with a love like (that which is due to) Allah only. However, those who believe are stauncher in their love of Allah" (al-Baqarah: 165).
And elsewhere Allah says:
"Say: If your fathers, or your sons, or your brethren, or your wives, or your tribe, or the wealth you have acquired, or merchandise for which you fear that there will be no sale, or dwellings you desire are dearer to you than Allah and His Messenger and striving in His way: then wait till Allah brings His command to pass. Allah guides not wrongdoing folk" (al-Tauba: 24).
Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) said, "Whoever has three characteristics has tasted the sweetness of faith. [The first of these] is that he loves Allah and His Messenger more than he loves anyone else..." (Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim.).
This is one of the most important aspects of Islam yet, for some reason, it is missing from the lives of many Muslims. They act in Islam as if Islam were a chore instead of doing things out of the love of Allah. When Allah orders us to do something, like bear witness to the faith, we should realize that that thing is pleasing to Allah and, therefore, out of our love for Allah, we should be very pleased to do the acts that are pleasing to Allah. But, as I said, this feeling is missing from many, many Muslims today.
(8)Denial:
Although that is clear in the words of the testimony of faith, it does not seem clear to everyone who makes that testimony. Therefore, I am mentioning it explicitly here. In Surah al-Baqarah, Allah clearly reminds us of this important aspect of the shahadah, the shahadah is not merely an affirmation but it is both an affirmation and a negation. Allah states,
"And he who rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break" (al-Baqarah: 256).
Perhaps Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) made this point even clearer when he said, "Whoever says there is no one worthy of worship except Allah and denies whatever is worshipped besides Allah, then his wealth and blood are protected and his accounting will be with Allah." (Recorded by Muslim).
Although this condition should be obvious to everyone who says the words of shahadah, you can still find Muslims who say the shahadah and then make acts of worship for beings or things other than Allah. You will find them going to the graveyards and worshipping those in the graves. They will perform acts of worship, not for the sake of Allah, but for the sake of the dead "saints" in the grave. What kind of shahadah have these people made? Do you really think that their shahadah will mean anything on the Day of Judgment as long as they believe that acts of worship may be done for other than Allah?
(9)Adherence:
This is must if the shahadah is to mean anything for you in the Hereafter. You cannot rest on your laurels of what you may have done in the past. No, indeed, the shahadah must be your banner until your death. Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) said, " A man spends a long time doing the deeds of the people of Paradise and then he ends his deeds with the deeds of the people of the Hell-fire. And a man spends a long time doing the deeds of the people of the Hell-fire and then he ends his deeds with the deeds of the people of Paradise." (Recorded by Muslim)
In another hadeeth, Rasulallah(sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam)said,
"By the One beside whom there is no other God, one of you does the actions of Paradise until there is just a hand span between him and Paradise and then the book [preordainment] overtakes him and he does the actions of the people of Hell and he enters into it."
(Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim.)
And Allah says in the Qur'an,
"O believers, observe your duty to Allah with right observance, and die not except as Muslims "O believers, observe your duty to Allah with right observance, and die not except as Muslims [in complete state of surrender, submission, obedience to Allah]" [in complete state of surrender, submission, obedience to Allah]"
(al-Imran: 102).
these are the conditions of the shahadah. These are the aspects of the shahadah that each and every one of us should look deep down into our own hearts and ask ourselves:
"Is my shahadah meeting those requirements?"
"Am I saying it sincerely, honestly and out of love for Allah?"
"Am I saying it based on what it really means?"
"Am I denying all other false objects of worship?"
"Is there any part of my shahadah that is weak or missing?"
It is not enough to simply memorize these conditions and the answers to the questions as though we were on our way to class to take a "pop quiz." We might meet Muslims or even the teachers themselves, who have totally memorized these conditions and their meanings so much so that they can recite every detail. But if we look to the way they act and the way they treat others, we know that the conditions are not having the right effect on them. This is proof that no matter how much a person knows, it only matters how much they live up to it. In the Next Life their knowledge of these conditions of shahadah will not benefit them in the least if they have not put them into practice. Actually, their knowledge will be proof against them because they clearly knew the conditions, yet they were not willing to live up to them in this life.
As Muslims we need to ask ourselves right now, before we die and go in front of Allah for His Judgment. We need to consider our answers carefully to these questions. If we are weak in certain areas of these important questions, then we should work hard to remove that weakness. So that in the Next Life our shahadah will be our "Key to Paradise" and the gates of the Paradise will open wide for us and we will be able to live forever in Allah's Jennah with Him being please with us.
Furthermore, we should realize that this love is beyond the comprehension of the human mind,but not beyond the comprehension of the Heart. This love cannot be quantified nor articulated, for it transcends speech. It is narrated in a hadith that if mankind knew how much Allah (swt) loved them they would lose all their senses in ecstasy with happiness and as a result their soul would separate from their body. Allah (swt) loves us seventy times more than how much a mother loves her newborn child.
O Allah! place light in my heart, light in my hearing, light in my
sight, light on my right, light on my left, light in front of me, light behind me, light
above me, light below me, make light for me," or he said:" Make me light."
Therefore the love of a believer for Allah (swt) must be more intense, stronger and far more superior than all other variables of worldly attachment and attraction. The Holy Qu’ran states in Surah Baqarah (165) ‘The love of Allah in the believers is most intense’.TheTrue lovers of ALLAH never feel that they have fulfilled the rights of love and devotion to ALLAH and always consider themselves lower then what they actually are. TheTrue lovers of Allah (swt) never feel that they have fulfilled the rights of worship like He so deserves.Thus if one acquires nearness and love of Allah (swt) by means of performing religious obligations, supererogatory and voluntary prayers, Allah (swt) then becomes their special helper and protects their limbs and organs and does not let them work for His disobedience.
Narrated by S. Ali : They are the fewest in number, but the greatest in rank before
Allah. Through them Allah preserves His proofs until they bequeath it to those like
them (before passing on) and plant it firmly in their hearts. By them knowledge has
taken by assault the reality of things, so that they found easy what those given to
comfort found hard, and found intimacy in what the ignorant found desolate. They
accompanied the world with bodies whose spirits were attached to the highest regard
(al-mahall al-a`la). Ah, ah! how one yearns to see them!(the Sahabah)To be with them! Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam)said You will be with those you Love!You will be with those you Love!You will be with those you Love! Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam) and His Sahabah!(insha-allah). Faith is not wishes or pretence; rather it is what settles in the heart and is proven by actions.” You hearts can never taste the sweetness of faith until they shun worldly pleasures.” “If you cannot pray qiyam at night and fast during the day, then know that you are deprived. Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam) said, “Faith wears out in your heart as clothes wear out, so ask Allah to renew the faith in your hearts.” (Hence the sincere believer has a heart like a burning coal). Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam) when he said:
“There is no heart that does not have clouds like the clouds that cover the moon. When the cloud covers it, it is dark, and when the cloud moves away it shines.”
This was portrayed to us that believer’s heart may sometimes feel overwhelmed by clouds of sin. So the believer’s heart is sometimes a darken and its light is hidden, and it remains dark and lonely, but if he strives to increase his faith and seeks the help of Allah SWT, that would lighten his heart and starts to shine.
Hence one of the salaf said: “It is part of a person’s prudence to check on his faith and be aware of what affects it.” It is also part of a person’s smartness “that he recognizes how the Syaitan whispers to him.”

So he has to come back to faith. If you come back to faith and do as it requires, then you will achieve what you need in Faith and devotion.

If a person wants to know how he stands before Allah and how he stands in relation to His commands and prohibitions, let him look at himself and see what he is preoccupied with. If he is busy with Da’wah and with saving people from the Fire, striving to attain Paradise, helping the weak and needy, honoring his parents, then let him rejoice in the fact that he is close to the mercy of ALLAH. Allah does not help anyone to do good except those whom He loves.

But if he is has no interest in Da’wah, dislikes the da’iyahs and does not do good things, if he is preoccupied with this world and its gains, and with gossip and asking too many questions about things that is not his business , whilst not doing much or following his whims and desires, let him know that he is far from Allah's pleasure and has been deprived of that which will bring him closer to the everlasting home! Paradise!, because Allah SWT says:

· “Whoever desires the quick-passing (transitory enjoyment of this world); We readily grant him what We will for whom We like. Then, afterwards, We have appointed for him Hell; he will burn therein disgraced and rejected (far away from Allah’s Mercy).

· And whoever desires the Hereafter and strives for it, with the necessary effort due for it (i.e. does righteous deeds of Allah’s obedience) while he is a believer (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) — then such are the ones whose striving shall be appreciated, (thanked and rewarded by Allah)” [Al-Isra’, 17:18-19]

If one would like to have a high position in all kinds of good deeds, to be a devoted slave of Allah SWT and to honour your parents, and you are seeking the home in hereafter Paradise, then you have to do the following:

1- We have to revive the faith in our hearts. Faith is what will bring the Muslim people everything we are seeks in this world and in the Hereafter. Faith is the key to all goodness and locks the door to all evil. The means of reviving and strengthening faith in our hearts are many and varied, including doing a lot of acts of worship and righteous deeds.

2- We must turn to our Rabb sincerely, as it says in the report: “If My slave turns to me inwardly and outwardly, I will turn the hearts of My slaves to him with love and mercy.”

Allah has made worship the ultimate aim and loftiest purpose of man: “And I (Allah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)” [Ad-Dhariyat, 51:56]

3- We should always set our sights on the highest degrees of righteous deeds, and make our goal in life to earn the pleasure of Allah, and strive to attain the victory of the Everlasting Paradise, or to attain the highest Firdaus. We should strive as hard as we can to achieve these lofty aims.

4- We need to Do a lot of righteous deeds which will bring us happiness in this world and in the Hereafter.

5- Praying qiyamullail, supplicating do’a in the time just before dawn. Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam) feet used to swell we should follow the ways of Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam)and His Sahabah, Taabi’een and righteous forebears (the salaf).

6- We should make the most of every minute, every moment and every heartbeat to use it in such a way as to increase our faith.

7- We should try to keep company with righteous people, because Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam)said, “A man will follow the religion of his close friend, so let each one of you look at whom he befriends.” Good friends are one of the best means of helping us to obey Allah and to avoid sin and error.

8-Because of His desire (Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam) to be a thankful slave, even though Allah had forgiven His previous and future sins.

9- Persisting in reading a portion of Qur’an daily, and other dzikirullah that will helps us to think and ponder on the meanings of the Qur’an.

10- Striving to spread the word and carry out da’awah for the sake of Allah SWT, and working for Islam as much as possible.

If We want to reach the status of True devoted slaves for which we longfore, then be as Allah commanded His Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam):

“Say (O Muhammad): Verily, my Solah (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the ‘Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists)” [Al-An’am, 6:162]

Being a devoted slave of Allah means declaring one’s devotion and belonging to our Rabb., which can only be achieved by applying this ayah, so that we are for Allah, the Rabb of the Worlds, in all our affairs.

Being a devoted slaves of Allah can only be fully achieved in that manner; it can only be achieved by worshipping Allah alone! in the fullest sense of the word, which means making our living and dying, and all our movements, for Him alone. So we only endeavour which is pleasing to Allah; we only do that which is pleasing to Allah; we focus our intention in these words and deeds only on Allah. Worship should not be reduced to merely raising and lowering our heads at certain times, or giving a few pennies every once in a while, or fasting a few days out of year, or moving our lips to say a few words and dzikir.

Hence the deeds that lead to this status – of being a devoted slave – are innumerable and may take many shapes in all aspects of our lives and the places where we live. This is by the bounty and mercy of Allah towards us and towards all people. Just look, in every place where we find ourself and every moment that comes to us, for that which will please Him(ALLAH), and what we think He wants from us, and do it. Then you will be a devoted slave. (insha-allah)

Finally, we ask Allah to accept the righteous deeds from us and from all of us , and to gather us all in His mercy with the Prophets, Siddiqin, martyrs and righteous, and those are the best of companions. We also seek Allah SWT that HE would make us steadfast in adhering to the Quran,to truth,and to the Sunnah of Rasulallah(sallallahu alaihi was salam) and to make our hopes come true, and to make us as of those who turn to Him and who know the truth, defend it and adhere to it in Islam.

So, Oh ! Muslims People, Make du’a, for steadfastness, and uprightness in the religion upto the end of one’s life.

Strive to persist in saying du’aa’ and beseech Allaah to make you steadfast in adhering to His(Din) religion, and to increase you in guidance and strength and righteousness, for this is the state of the believers, as Allaah tells us of them in the verse where He says

“(They say): ‘Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You. Truly, You are the Bestower’” [Qur'an Surah Aal ‘Imraan 3:8]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.