/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Use of Drugs to Treat Depression

illwait
03-28-2019, 02:19 AM
I am currently a college student that has been diagnosed with severe depression (by a psychiatrist) and he wanted to prescribe me medicine. From all the Hadiths I have read The Prophet PBUH said," All intoxicants are khamr and all khamr is haram." In my case the doctor wants to prescribe me drugs that would lead to detrimental effects such as addiction, drowsiness, impotence, and tremors. The side effects are almost the same for all the anti-depressants, the doctor has also recommended a second option: taking a psychedelic substance in order to cure it, he specifically recommended Mushrooms. He said they do not cause any physiological harm, and no psychological harm in 99% of the cases. I have been considering the latter from my doctor's recommendation, and have been doing my own research as well, because information is limited. The studies have shown that they cured depression in majority of the individuals who have taken the substance. The effects are similar if you micro dose the substance in comparison to taking a whole dose. Since the micro dose does not cause "intoxication" is it permissible to take it, and if it does not work is it permissible to take a full dose per the doctors recommendation. The doctor cannot prescribe it for obvious reasons, but he recommends it over the other substances that cause addiction and physiological dependance and issues. Is this permissible if it not for recreational use, but rather for true medical use

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
03-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Greetings and peace be with you illwait and welcome to the forum;

I am sorry to hear about your struggles with life, but there always has to be hope in Allah. Depression is mostly caused by very human problems, the fear of exams, not coping with the college course, pressure from parents and others, worry about money, guilt, bullying, relationships etc, the list is endless.

Do not take my following words as advice, but rather just as a collection of words that may help you to think in a different way. I shall be seventy next month, and have had to deal with many of life's problems and depression in my earlier years. Somehow you need to find the strength to get from your age to my age, and feel at peace with yourself, with Allah and with those around you. These are some of the things that have helped me.

No matter what drugs you take today, life's problems will still be with you when you wake up in the morning. If you take any kind of drug, you are putting your hope and trust in that drug; and it will sort out your problems. But how can a drug sort out your problem? ( feel free to ignore this; I am not a doctor )

Somehow you need to put your trust in something greater than a drug, and that is Allah. And remember you are created by Allah to be a truly wonderful person. Allah will never place a burden on you that you cannot carry if you turn to him for help. Find ways to give thanks to Allah for all the things you have in life, give thanks in both the good times and the bad.

Failure is only failure when you give up, we all constantly fail in life, perseverance is always about trying to pick yourself up again, and how many times do you have to keep trying? The answer is always the same, just once more. Resilience in life is just accepting life will throw one problem after another at you, just keep taking it on the chin and do not let life grind you down.

May you be blessed with the wisdom, strength and the peace to do the will of Allah;

Eric

*charisma*
03-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by illwait
I am currently a college student that has been diagnosed with severe depression (by a psychiatrist) and he wanted to prescribe me medicine. From all the Hadiths I have read The Prophet PBUH said," All intoxicants are khamr and all khamr is haram." In my case the doctor wants to prescribe me drugs that would lead to detrimental effects such as addiction, drowsiness, impotence, and tremors. The side effects are almost the same for all the anti-depressants, the doctor has also recommended a second option: taking a psychedelic substance in order to cure it, he specifically recommended Mushrooms. He said they do not cause any physiological harm, and no psychological harm in 99% of the cases. I have been considering the latter from my doctor's recommendation, and have been doing my own research as well, because information is limited. The studies have shown that they cured depression in majority of the individuals who have taken the substance. The effects are similar if you micro dose the substance in comparison to taking a whole dose. Since the micro dose does not cause "intoxication" is it permissible to take it, and if it does not work is it permissible to take a full dose per the doctors recommendation. The doctor cannot prescribe it for obvious reasons, but he recommends it over the other substances that cause addiction and physiological dependance and issues. Is this permissible if it not for recreational use, but rather for true medical use

Thanks
I suggest you seek a scholar for advice for the mushrooms, but the consensus for medication is that it is ok to take them for depression so as long as they are prescribed by a good doctor. In my opinion, if your depression is caused by an event, then you should not take any drugs but to try to overcome your difficulties. Seeking rememberance in Allah, exercise, naturopathy (eg. cupping), changing your diet, etc. can all benefit you inshallah. If you don't know what the cause of your depression, then I guess you could try to take the medication.

ardianto
03-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Depression is not physical disease like cough, influenza, or cancer. But disturbance in mind which caused by pressure that someone face in life. Drugs cannot cure depression, but only make someone feel better for a while. Then after the effect of drug has gone, he will feel uncomfortable again. It will make him wants to take drug again and again and cause the condition of addiction.

The way to overcome depression is face the problem that causes pressure in your mind. Thinking optimistically is very useful to make you strong to face the problems in your life.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anatolian
03-28-2019, 02:50 PM
I also use Vitamin B complexes B1, B6 B12 etc. They are helping. I am not a doctor too. You should use them with a profesionals inscription. B6 in overdose can be dangerous

AbdurRahman.
03-28-2019, 04:31 PM
Salaam brother

Zikr and salaah in their right times are a much more better medicine for depression. And offering thanks to Allah often

illwait
03-29-2019, 02:26 AM
Thank you for everyone who replied, I will definitely try to offer more sunnah and nawafil, and try those supplements as well

Saira Khan
03-29-2019, 05:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Allah will never place a burden on you that you cannot carry
لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللّـٰهُ نَفْسًا اِلَّا وُسْعَهَا
Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope.
Surah Al-Baqara , Verse 286

format_quote Originally Posted by illwait
There are two types of people, one who knows how to fight with and overcome something and the other is who does not know this. Medication is required to those who do not know the art of fighting with problems. Some times a single word or a single sentence from a book or from someone totally cures your acute depression.
Take care of your diet, eat healthy, try to be busy, do not avoid the things which you find difficult, have a routine and don't think too much about something. Tell yourself that you do not need medicines for that, rather you can do it yourself.
Stay Blessed.

Eric H
03-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Saira Khan;

Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope.
Surah Al-Baqara , Verse 286
Thanks for the correction,
Blessings
Eric

beleiver
03-31-2019, 08:44 PM
Ok so a few posts deleted trying to reply to this sensitive subject (why I don't understand if the Truth can stand scrutiny?)

CBD might be worth looking at, nonpsychoactive and give the body and mind a greater connection, not addictive and mild to no side effects, simply search CBD depression its the next big billion-dollar medicine, also google the endocannabinoid system to better understand how it works, most peoples endocannabinoid systems are totally run down... The full-fat version was used by some of the great pioneers of medicine in the golden age of Islam, its among the oldest medicine known to man...

And diet is a common reason to be depressed, lack of vitamins etc

And don't forget to focus on what you have to be grateful for and praise Allha...

ZeeshanParvez
04-01-2019, 04:52 PM
In all honesty, the best approach for you is CBT.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is very effective and will save you from any haraam you fear.

It is extremely effective and will help mold you for the future as well.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.