/* */

PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying hadith and tafsir books...

Simply_Logical
04-18-2019, 04:28 AM
Assalamu alaykum

I'm looking at buying hadith and tafsir books, which ones would you recommend?

I have riyadhus saliheen which I lurve Alhamdulillah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
04-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Saheeh al Muslim, Saheeh al bukhaari - though it becomes obvious when reading that lots of context is required along with the ability to notice that they are non-Quranic historical records penned from memory by people and do often contain conflicting accounts.
Still, that's life, and they are amongst the best.

Simply_Logical
04-18-2019, 11:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Saheeh al Muslim, Saheeh al bukhaari - though it becomes obvious when reading that lots of context is required along with the ability to notice that they are non-Quranic historical records penned from memory by people and do often contain conflicting accounts.
Thanks JazakAllah khayran

Muhammad
04-19-2019, 12:06 PM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
The Ahadith are much more than simply historical records penned from memory. There is a whole science in Islam dedicated to this subject, including the study of the chains of narration and the narrators of hadith, such that the Ahadith have been preserved with immense care and precision. The following is taken from Islamweb and sheds more light on this. It also highlights that Islam is based upon the Qur’an and Sunnah taken together, and that it is not solely based upon the Qur’an.

"Verily, We have sent down the Reminder, and surely, We will guard it (from corruption)" [Al-Qur'an, Surah al-Hijr, 15:9].

The above promise made by Allah is obviously fulfilled in the undisputed purity of the Qur'anic text throughout the fourteen centuries since its revelation. However, what is often forgotten by many Muslims is that the above divine promise also includes, by necessity, the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), for it is the practical example of the implementation of the Qur'anic guidance, the Wisdom taught to the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) along with the Scripture, and neither the Qur'an nor the Sunnah can be understood correctly without recourse to the other. Allah preserved the Sunnah by enabling the Companions and those after them (may Allah be pleased with them) to memorize, write down and pass on the statements of the Messenger (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) and the descriptions of his Way, as well as to continue the blessings of practising the Sunnah. Later, as the purity of the knowledge of the Sunnah became threatened, Allah caused the Muslim nation to produce outstanding individuals of incredible memory-skills and analytical expertise, who journeyed tirelessly to collect hundreds of thousands of narrations and distinguish the true words of precious wisdom of their Messenger (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) from those corrupted by weak memories, from forgeries by unscrupulous liars, and from the statements of the enormous number of 'Ulama', the Companions and those who followed their way, who had taught in various centers of learning and helped to transmit the legacy of Muhammad (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) - all of this achieved through precise attention to the words narrated and detailed familiarity with the biographies of the thousands of reporters of Hadith. Action being the best way to preserve teachings, the renewers of Islam also revived the practice of the blessed authentic Sunnah...

'Abdullah Ibn al-Mubarak (d. 181 AH), one of the illustrious teachers of Imam al-Bukhari, said, "The Isnad is part of the religion had it not been for the Isnad, whoever wished to would have said whatever he liked". Among the sciences of Ahadith is the study of the chain of reporters (the Isnad) and many Muslim scholars have specialized in this field. It includes identifying the name of each and every narrator (reporter), his character (his truthfulness, piety, public behavior), his ability and reputation as a memorizer and the types of narrations he is known to report, whether authentic, weak, fabricated, etc. In addition, each narrator should be identified by a rating given by other narrators who knew him. So all of these and many other details must be considered to know the degree to which a Hadith may be used as a basis for Islamic belief or practice (Sharia), or merely as a point of interest (not to be attributed to the sayings, etc. of the Prophet). The Ahadith collected by Imams Bukhari and Muslim are all considered to be Sahih (authentic) by the Hadith experts. Both of these books contain only Sahih Hadith. However, there are other famous collectors of Hadith: Abu Dawud (d.275), al-Tirmidhi (d. 279) and al-Nasai (d. 303). Allah knows best.

https://islamweb.net/en/fatwa/83075/

If any hadith are difficult to understand, it is best to ask a scholar. There are also commentaries on the books of hadith, some of which are available in English or partly translated. In this way, any doubts about conflicting accounts will be removed إن شاء الله. Both the Qur'an and the Sunnah are revelation from Allah سبحانه وتعالى therefore there is no possibility of contradiction therein.

The following post provides numerous links if anyone needs more detailed explanation on the authority of the Sunnah and responses to common allegations against the science of hadith:
https://www.islamicboard.com/clarifi...ml#post1542902

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bint e aisha
04-19-2019, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simply_Logical
Assalamu alaykum

Walaikumus Salam warahmatullah

Tafseer Ma'ariful Qur'an by Mufti Shafi' Usmani RA
Ma'ariful Hadith by Maulana Manzoor Noumani RA

ZeeshanParvez
04-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Assalamu alaykum

If you love Riyadhus saliheen I think you should try one of the following

al-lulu wa al-marjaan

Baluugh al-maram

You can download the PDF copies of both and read to see if you like them.

Then you can purchase them.

The PDF of the second one here

I do not know of a pdf for the second one. But you can read about it here

They actually have a sample you can download

Insaanah
04-19-2019, 07:56 PM
:sl:

May I humbly recommend the following two books before you embark on study of tafseer and hadeeth:

Usool at Tafseer by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips

"An Excellent Gift to Students of Islamic Sciences Literally translated 'The Fundamental Principles of Qur'aanic Interpretation,' this book refers to the branches of knowledge which are necessary to provide an accurate interpretation of the Qur'anic texts, such as Arabic grammar and syntax, Arabic literature and Qur'anic sciences ('uloom al-Qur'aan). Addressed topics include the Tafseer of the Qur'an, books of tafseer, translations of the Qur'an, Wahy ('divine revelation'), reasons for revelation, the differences between Makkan and Madinan revelations, Naskh, the Muhkam and Mutashaabih, and more."

https://kalamullah.com/Books/Usool%20at-Tafseer.pdf

Usool al Hadeeth by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips

"The science of hadeeth terminology and assesment is a particularly difficult field of study. Dr. Bilal Philips has managed in this text to simplify this topic and to make it quite relevant to our times by addressing some of the most challenging questions raised by those who question the validity of hadeeth literature in general."

https://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Usool%20al-Hadith.pdf

They are a really interesting read in themselves and broaden ones background a bit on the subject of hadeeth and tafseer and the sciences and methodology behind them and basis of them. Insha'Allah they'll help strengthen your foundation on the subjects and the knowledge you gain will benefit you as you read ahadeeth and tafseer.

If you haven't already, I'd also humbly suggest starting learning classical Arabic, as everything you read otherwise is a translation.

If possible, and I know it might not be everywhere, perhaps you could find a reliable teacher. There are also online courses, but again you have to pick something reliable.

Lastly www.sunnah.com is s searchable hadeeth website that has original text and chains of narration along with translation. The home page lists all the hadeeth collections it has.

May Allah make it easy for you and give you and us all tawfiq to read, understand and implement Quran and hadeeth in our lives, ameen.

Simply_Logical
04-19-2019, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez

al-lulu wa al-marjaan

Baluugh al-maram

is there no pdf of al-lulu wa al-marjaan?

another brother from a different forum mentioned this book too and said its really good

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
:sl:

May I humbly recommend the following two books before you embark on study of tafseer and hadeeth:

Usool at Tafseer by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips

"An Excellent Gift to Students of Islamic Sciences Literally translated 'The Fundamental Principles of Qur'aanic Interpretation,' this book refers to the branches of knowledge which are necessary to provide an accurate interpretation of the Qur'anic texts, such as Arabic grammar and syntax, Arabic literature and Qur'anic sciences ('uloom al-Qur'aan). Addressed topics include the Tafseer of the Qur'an, books of tafseer, translations of the Qur'an, Wahy ('divine revelation'), reasons for revelation, the differences between Makkan and Madinan revelations, Naskh, the Muhkam and Mutashaabih, and more."

https://kalamullah.com/Books/Usool%20at-Tafseer.pdf

Usool al Hadeeth by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips

"The science of hadeeth terminology and assesment is a particularly difficult field of study. Dr. Bilal Philips has managed in this text to simplify this topic and to make it quite relevant to our times by addressing some of the most challenging questions raised by those who question the validity of hadeeth literature in general."

https://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Usool%20al-Hadith.pdf

They are a really interesting read in themselves and broaden ones background a bit on the subject of hadeeth and tafseer and the sciences and methodology behind them and basis of them. Insha'Allah they'll help strengthen your foundation on the subjects and the knowledge you gain will benefit you as you read ahadeeth and tafseer.

If you haven't already, I'd also humbly suggest starting learning classical Arabic, as everything you read otherwise is a translation.

If possible, and I know it might not be everywhere, perhaps you could find a reliable teacher. There are also online courses, but again you have to pick something reliable.

Lastly www.sunnah.com is s searchable hadeeth website that has original text and chains of narration along with translation. The home page lists all the hadeeth collections it has.

May Allah make it easy for you and give you and us all tawfiq to read, understand and implement Quran and hadeeth in our lives, ameen.
Ameen

JazakAllah Khayran for the links to the ebooks ill check them out when i can inshaAllah

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by bint e aisha

i thought that ma'ariful Qur'an was by mufti taqi usmani

bint e aisha
04-20-2019, 01:18 AM
i thought that ma'ariful Qur'an was by mufti taqi usmani
No it was authored by his father, Mufti Shafi' Usmani.

Simply_Logical
04-20-2019, 03:17 AM
No it was authored by his father, Mufti Shafi' Usmani.
didnt realise that was his father, thanks JazakAllah Khair

its on ebay for £65 delivered tempted to get it

- - - Updated - - -

Ma'ariful Hadith is £26, which is a really good price

azc
04-20-2019, 05:28 AM

- - - Updated - - -

If available, Buy printed books instead.

bint e aisha
04-20-2019, 09:46 AM

- - - Updated - - -

These books are valuable, you'll not regret paying for them iA. Also their soft copies are easily available in both Urdu and English.

Ma'arif al-Quran (Mufti Shafi` Usmani)

Website: http://www.islamicstudies.info/quran/maarif/maarif.php

English PDF: https://archive.org/details/English-MaarifulQuran

Ma'ariful Hadith (Maulana Manzoor Noumani)

English PDF: https://archive.org/details/Maariful...olumes/page/n1

Simply_Logical
04-20-2019, 12:13 PM
These books are valuable, you'll not regret paying for them iA. Also their soft copies are easily available in both Urdu and English.

Ma'arif al-Quran (Mufti Shafi` Usmani)

Website: http://www.islamicstudies.info/quran/maarif/maarif.php

English PDF: https://archive.org/details/English-MaarifulQuran

Ma'ariful Hadith (Maulana Manzoor Noumani)

English PDF: https://archive.org/details/Maariful...olumes/page/n1
JazakAllah Khayran

Simply_Logical
12-27-2020, 12:12 AM
assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

i remember this thread so didnt want to unnecessarily create another one but i still havent got any tafsir books and i wasnt sure if i should get hadith books in case of any misinterpretation it my mistake

in regards to Tafseer Ma'ariful Qur'an by Mufti Shafi' Usmani RA? i;d like to hear more thoughts and opinions on it,
is it easy in easy english and easy to understand? and how does it compare to tafsir ibn kathir?

im going to check out those pdf links posted adove by sister @bint e aisha in sha Allah not sure if i checked it before but its been a while so ill refresh my memory in sha Allah

Simply_Logical
12-27-2020, 01:29 AM

al-lulu wa al-marjaan

Baluugh al-maram

Brother I know this is an old post but where can I get this from in English? eBay only has Arabic/Urdu just the one seller on eBay selling it

ZeeshanParvez
12-31-2020, 07:59 AM
Brother I know this is an old post but where can I get this from in English? eBay only has Arabic/Urdu just the one seller on eBay selling it
Darussalam has an online store. You could buy it from there

MazharShafiq
12-31-2020, 02:25 PM
Yes and maktba tul bushra is best for Material.

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 06:10 PM
I actually bought the sahih bukhari collection from a really good website

Islamicplace.com

in the books section you will find many good things and the collection was $120 for the 9 volumes

And yeah the books I bought contain both the arabic and english translation

But just incase, you can always message them to about the order you are making and ask them if your specific order is in english.. they take a day or tw to reply I think

I think all of their collections include English and arabic in all the books unless it specifically says it is in urdu

I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish they had tasfir books on hadiths that describe each and every narration..

Sometimes when I read through my books I get very confused.. If anyone has any books that explain hadiths, please reccomend

Simply_Logical
12-31-2020, 09:08 PM
you got a link to that one that sells and ships to the uk please? thanks jazakAllah Khayran

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by Islami.Mu'mina
I actually bought the sahih bukhari collection from a really good website

Islamicplace.com

in the books section you will find many good things and the collection was $120 for the 9 volumes

And yeah the books I bought contain both the arabic and english translation

But just incase, you can always message them to about the order you are making and ask them if your specific order is in english.. they take a day or tw to reply I think

I think all of their collections include English and arabic in all the books unless it specifically says it is in urdu

I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish they had tasfir books on hadiths that describe each and every narration..

Sometimes when I read through my books I get very confused.. If anyone has any books that explain hadiths, please reccomend
whos the sahih bukhari printed by? darussalam?

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 10:38 PM
whos the sahih bukhari printed by? darussalam?
Yeah the one i bought is printed by dar us salam

They have two bukhari collections. I believe both is brinted by dar us salam.. there is a more expensive version than the one I bought, that is just because the book cover is more fancy. But I think they are both dar us salam.. It should show who it is printed by in the pictures, or in the decription

- - - Updated - - -

JazakAllahu lhayran! I hadn't even known this!

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 10:43 PM
wait what is riyadus salihin? Is this just a book that complies important hadith or does it explain the hadith?

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 10:45 PM
Because Im looking at the dar us salam website right now and it says they have "explanation of the riyadus as salihin" books, because I really need books that explain hadith

Simply_Logical
01-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Yeah the one i bought is printed by dar us salam

They have two bukhari collections. I believe both is brinted by dar us salam.. there is a more expensive version than the one I bought, that is just because the book cover is more fancy. But I think they are both dar us salam.. It should show who it is printed by in the pictures, or in the decription

- - - Updated - - -

JazakAllahu lhayran! I hadn't even known this!
is that the only difference? the front cover?

Islami.Mu'mina
01-01-2021, 07:20 PM
is that the only difference? the front cover?
yeah and also the books are thicker so I think there is only 7 volumes for the more expensive one, rather than 9
Overall its just better quality material in the pages and cover, i don't think anything else. Im perfectly fine with the cheaper set, they're great

Simply_Logical
01-03-2021, 07:45 PM
yeah and also the books are thicker so I think there is only 7 volumes for the more expensive one, rather than 9
Overall its just better quality material in the pages and cover, i don't think anything else. Im perfectly fine with the cheaper set, they're great
Is it essentially the same thing though?

Islami.Mu'mina
01-03-2021, 09:56 PM
Is it essentially the same thing though?
Yeah quality is fine, same content I believe

MazharShafiq
01-04-2021, 04:21 PM

Yes I totally agree.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.