/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Showing off

ameerkam
04-25-2019, 08:33 PM
If a person shows off their wisdom. E.g. a person writes a poem that contains wisdom and part of his intention is so people would like him, would this be considered as minor shirk? Because you are doing something good but for peoples affection

Jazzakallahu Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
04-25-2019, 09:53 PM
you mean.... like a meme?

..new age wisdom that is, all the upvotes you can count.

maybe its in another language.

T_T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZ01Rba7HQ

i suppose its ok if you use it to kick asses...ahem..dispel ignorance, but i dont know what your wisdom is.

on a side note, most things we put out into the world have a habit of taking on lives of their own.. if allowed to do so.

but poetry is already a thing so their must already be an answer.

in the end we all want to be winners, but nobody knows what winning is apparently.

...you do get tired of getting your ass kicked though.

everything is only for a time.. but the start, finish and all things in between are with allah swt.

hope that helps :p

...they will probably like you better if they end up in a better place because of you.. but i dont know what a better place is also.

maybe they wont, after all.

allah swt is the protector, the provider, the sustainer.

i had a failed business so i just want to work for a living.. if it is allowed.

ameerkam
04-26-2019, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
you mean.... like a meme?

..new age wisdom that is, all the upvotes you can count.

maybe its in another language.

T_T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZ01Rba7HQ

i suppose its ok if you use it to kick asses...ahem..dispel ignorance, but i dont know what your wisdom is.

on a side note, most things we put out into the world have a habit of taking on lives of their own.. if allowed to do so.

but poetry is already a thing so their must already be an answer.

in the end we all want to be winners, but nobody knows what winning is apparently.

...you do get tired of getting your ass kicked though.

everything is only for a time.. but the start, finish and all things in between are with allah swt.

hope that helps :p

...they will probably like you better if they end up in a better place because of you.. but i dont know what a better place is also.

maybe they wont, after all.

allah swt is the protector, the provider, the sustainer.

i had a failed business so i just want to work for a living.. if it is allowed.
No I meant like let’s say I wrote a poem that contains some wisdom about life, if I did show it to someone with the intention of hoping for a compliment from them would it be minor shirk?

Nitro Zeus
04-26-2019, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ameerkam
No I meant like let’s say I wrote a poem that contains some wisdom about life, if I did show it to someone with the intention of hoping for a compliment from them would it be minor shirk?
Showing off does not bring you closer to God, so it is bad to show off

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ameerkam
04-26-2019, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
Showing off does not bring you closer to God, so it is bad to show off
But would it be similar to dressing nicely in front of people which I think is praiseworthy

Physicist
04-26-2019, 06:39 PM
Children requires approval to learn and motivate them to do better. Same applies for adults.
If one accepts constructive critics altogether with praises, it's ok.
If one accepts only praises, but not critics, that's narcissism.

Chordata
04-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Not sure what exactly you mean. On one hand you say one would wish for compliments and on another that one would wish to be liked or to receive affection. Either way, I don't know.
However, it is my understanding that almost all people, including Muslims, commit shirk all their lives.. So if you are guilty of that, it would probably not be a question of this one situation you describe but in general a way of life.
Perhaps, if you think it takes you farther from Allah you should first go closer and if you still wish to do as you planned, do it. If it takes you farther from Allah, go back and don't do it again. Or, do it in a different way.

Ahmed.
04-26-2019, 09:24 PM
I think you are thinking too much. If you want to write a poem then just write it without thinking about your intention too much otherwise satan will confuse you with the intention behind it and then rather than getting on with your life you fall into a limbo through your excessive thoughts

If you write a religious poem then make sure intention is to please Allah, otherwise just write it without satan stalling you with these thoughts

We cannot do literally everything for Allah as that is very high level of imaan and is perfected only with time and constant devotion to Allah, so other than sunnah and fard deeds, the rest just do without waswas stopping you in your tracks

If you do fall into a bit of showing off, it is a minor shirk and is not kufr. Sometimes this sort of shirk just creeps into our actions but the next salah will get it forgiven

ameerkam
05-02-2019, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.
I think you are thinking too much. If you want to write a poem then just write it without thinking about your intention too much otherwise satan will confuse you with the intention behind it and then rather than getting on with your life you fall into a limbo through your excessive thoughts

If you write a religious poem then make sure intention is to please Allah, otherwise just write it without satan stalling you with these thoughts

We cannot do literally everything for Allah as that is very high level of imaan and is perfected only with time and constant devotion to Allah, so other than sunnah and fard deeds, the rest just do without waswas stopping you in your tracks

If you do fall into a bit of showing off, it is a minor shirk and is not kufr. Sometimes this sort of shirk just creeps into our actions but the next salah will get it forgiven
If the poem contains wisdom (not strictly religious) and I performed it in front of a crowd hoping for some sort of praise does that count as a minor shirk?

Ahmed.
05-02-2019, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ameerkam
If the poem contains wisdom (not strictly religious) and I performed it in front of a crowd hoping for some sort of praise does that count as a minor shirk?
Well we are not supposed to hope for praises or thankyou's etc but due to our weekness instinctively a little hope could be there... as long as you're not intentionally hoping for it inshAllah it won't count as minor shirk

Sometimes due to the norms of culture we will hope for praises, e.g. if a poem is read out loud then the norms is a clap or praises at the end and if other people get it then it can feel embarrassing if you don't. Also praises and round of applause are a way the audience is telling you that your poem is good and they liked it, so this is another reason why instinctively we will hope for praises so these reasons can mitigate the shirk

MazharShafiq
05-03-2019, 10:44 AM
If you do worship of God for people, then it is shirk, if any other work is working, if you also want people to work well for you, then I not think it is enter the shirk only .

space
05-03-2019, 01:29 PM
same goes for individual prayers in the mosques when a visitor has such a weird intention to make others want to think about him how he extremely pious and religious person is than all these around him.. it's a very unfair selfish action in front of his Lord

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.