/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yoga Practices

HisServant
05-30-2019, 03:27 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum,

I was listening to someone recently speaking about the evils/harms about Yoga practices and was wondering if others can further assist my understanding. Generally, what she spoke about (and as founded with a quick search online based upon Islamic views): (1) It originates from evil sources (2) It is calling upon evil sources/meditating (3) wasting time (4) harmful to mind and body

So, all of these are linked to spirituality. Supposing a person were to ignore the beliefs and spiritual aspects, and focus only on the practice. As a form of exercise only would yoga be acceptable? Such that meditation and exercise is based upon strengthening one's body and not invoking any other than Allah but using physical techniques of previous times. Breathing being tranquil/normalized focused only upon Allah's name of meditation?

(Leaning towards this thinking yet still wondering regarding certainty)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ahmed.
05-31-2019, 03:29 PM
yoga is fine if you leave the spiritual aspect out. Meditating about Allah wouldn't be such a good idea as yoga is stretching legs in obscene positions and Allah's zikr should be done always in a respectable and modest positions

Yoga wouldn't be suitable for women either as the body is streched out into very immodest positions and this is not good when Allah and the Angels are always there and watching

HisServant
06-01-2019, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.
yoga is fine if you leave the spiritual aspect out. Meditating about Allah wouldn't be such a good idea as yoga is stretching legs in obscene positions and Allah's zikr should be done always in a respectable and modest positions

Yoga wouldn't be suitable for women either as the body is streched out into very immodest positions and this is not good when Allah and the Angels are always there and watching
Thank you, since that initial post when no one had responded as yet, kept looking for answers. Then, actually found one from a scholar which did support my inclining view (but still had doubts). Couldn't help wondering; is it really valid to make or change something which originally intended for evil? Although, my intention is good?

Anyway, as you have pointed out whereby the spiritual aspects (of invocations) is removed, the actions are also concerning spirituality i.e being vulgar. I can over-think sometimes but now the doubt is especially there. JazaakAllahu khair.

In the case of misguiding anyone, would like bring to remembrance whenever there is reasonable doubt best refrain.

Ahmed.
06-01-2019, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HisServant
Thank you, since that initial post when no one had responded as yet, kept looking for answers. Then, actually found one from a scholar which did support my inclining view (but still had doubts). Couldn't help wondering; is it really valid to make or change something which originally intended for evil? Although, my intention is good?

Anyway, as you have pointed out whereby the spiritual aspects (of invocations) is removed, the actions are also concerning spirituality i.e being vulgar. I can over-think sometimes but now the doubt is especially there. JazaakAllahu khair.

In the case of misguiding anyone, would like bring to remembrance whenever there is reasonable doubt best refrain.
Without the spiritual aspect, yoga just becomes stretching exercises. There is a notion that such excersises brings peace to the body but as Muslim we have the ultimate peace activity, which is the worship of Allah, so it would be inappropriate to seek peace in the way of kuffars

But as an exercise it's ok

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HisServant
06-02-2019, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.
Without the spiritual aspect, yoga just becomes stretching exercises. There is a notion that such excersises brings peace to the body but as Muslim we have the ultimate peace activity, which is the worship of Allah, so it would be inappropriate to seek peace in the way of kuffars But as an exercise it's ok
I think exercises generally bring peace to the body? Of course when applied in moderation and with the appropriate guidelines being followed, for the right purposes. It may also fall under (the) worship (of Allah). As everything done to gain His pleasure or fulfill His guidance (including taking care of ourselves) would be a form of worship.

Imam Al Haddad in the Book Of Assistance wrote that: "A sincere intention may change the merely licit into the devotional, for means are judged according to their ends. For example, one may eat to get the strength to perform devotions, or sleep with one's wife to obtain a son who would worship God"

The query is whether something (yoga practices) is of an illicit or licit means. And, knowing it's origins in shirk and discovering that these exercises were used originally to worship other than Allah, isn't comfortable for me. For instance;

Ashtanga yoga

In Sanskrit Ashtanga is translated as "Eight Limb path." Ashtanga yoga involves a very physically demanding sequence of postures, so this style of yoga is definitely not for the beginner. It takes an experienced yogi to really love it. Ashtanga starts with five sun salutation A's and five sun salutation B's and then moves into a series of standing and floor postures. In Mysore, India, people gather to practice this form of yoga together at their own pace—if you see Mysore-led Ashtanga, it's expected of you to know the series. Vinyasa yoga stems from Ashtanga as the flowing style linking breath to movement.
Source

However, decided to adopt other neutral based exercises (whose main purposeful function is to strengthen the body, not mixed with worship in action or intention) like pilates and may leave the possibilities open for a nonreligious version and teaching which focuses only on strengthening the body without the meditation, without the hands adopting shirk etc-meant to be devotionals act to other than Allah. Because I believe there is always an importance for distinctions to be made with the intention and even the means: such as the changing of the Qiblah, the awareness for prayer being made by the Azan (unique call to prayer than other beliefs measures that were adopted). Additionally, mostly trying to determine something on a personal level - and it's directly related with the need to examine more intensely different influences.

Scimitar
06-02-2019, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HisServant

some of the positions you have to do in yoga are actually worship positions in Hinduism, this is why yoga is highly frowned upon in the Muslim tradition.

just do regular calisthenics man

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.