/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Shi’a

oceanbreeze
06-09-2019, 08:06 PM
I am confused as to why there is animosity between Shi’as and Sunnis. Recently a Shi’a 18 year old in Saudi Arabia, who was arrested at 13 for protesting against Shi’a discrimination, was marked for execution. I do mot understand...both groups affirm that there is only one God and that Muhammad was the messenger... is that not enough?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ahmed.
06-09-2019, 08:16 PM
Generally Shias and Sunnis get along fine in Saudi

That teen boy was the nephew of the Shia cleric who started the protest against Saudi; it was an all Shia protest at time of the Arab spring - he tried to bring down Saudi government in preparation for a Shia takeover

So it is feared that teen could have leadership influence and instigate another revolt, since he's the nephew of the cleric who started the revolt

So this is a political matter rather than Sunni - Shia animosity

CuriousonTruth
06-09-2019, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by oceanbreeze
I am confused as to why there is animosity between Shi’as and Sunnis. Recently a Shi’a 18 year old in Saudi Arabia, who was arrested at 13 for protesting against Shi’a discrimination, was marked for execution. I do mot understand...both groups affirm that there is only one God and that Muhammad was the messenger... is that not enough?
Is this about this incident only or the Sunni-Shia animosity as a whole?

Modern day animosity is generally down to Iran's militants committing war crimes in Syria and Iraq generating anger from Sunnis, while on the other hand salafist militant bombings in Pakistan, Hazara shia massacre in Afghanistan, etc has riled up Shias.

Historically there are also issues, but they are not tied to modern day animosity. Personally,I distrust them mostly for historical reasons than for theological reasonsor because of Syria.

oceanbreeze
06-10-2019, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.
Generally Shias and Sunnis get along fine in Saudi

That teen boy was the nephew of the Shia cleric who started the protest against Saudi; it was an all Shia protest at time of the Arab spring - he tried to bring down Saudi government in preparation for a Shia takeover

So it is feared that teen could have leadership influence and instigate another revolt, since he's the nephew of the cleric who started the revolt

So this is a political matter rather than Sunni - Shia animosity

Ah Ok, thank you for clearing this up. I still think what they are doing to that boy is outrageous.

format_quote Originally Posted by CuriousonTruth
Is this about this incident only or the Sunni-Shia animosity as a whole?

Modern day animosity is generally down to Iran's militants committing war crimes in Syria and Iraq generating anger from Sunnis, while on the other hand salafist militant bombings in Pakistan, Hazara shia massacre in Afghanistan, etc has riled up Shias.

Historically there are also issues, but they are not tied to modern day animosity. Personally,I distrust them mostly for historical reasons than for theological reasonsor because of Syria.
Seeing the article about the teenager made me ask about the animosity as a whole. So most of the trouble between the two groups is more about recent violence than the old rivalry? If it's not for religious reasons, why are they harassing each other? Is it for territory?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
06-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Hello oceanbreeze,

I do mot understand...both groups affirm that there is only one God and that Muhammad was the messenger... is that not enough?
It is not enough to proclaim this statement whilst believing in a doctrine that opposes its meaning. Some of the Shi'ah give their Imams divine attributes of infallibility, knowledge of the unseen and the ability to bring the dead back to life, which clearly contradicts the testimony that there is none worthy of worship except Allah. Their belief in Imamah also contradicts the meaning of 'Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم is the Messenger of Allah'.

For more information you can refer to the following threads:
[Sectarian Article] Shee'ahs - Overview
Sunni vs Shia

I will close this thread to avoid unnecessary debate.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!