/* */

PDA

View Full Version : dua for sticking to things

peacefulone
07-07-2019, 04:24 AM
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi
Is there any advice for how to help yourself have a strong motivation to stick with your commitments like school/work?
I find myself wavering and always seeking a different avenue in life. I often think whats better out there and how can i improve my situation. So I end up quitting many things before I gave them a good chance of success. I often second guess myself and/or my abilities and think I'm going to fail anyways so why not quit.
What can I do to help with this problem?
I am in school right now at a really nice university and I am working at a really great job that is a big break for me. But ...i worry i will quit one of these things too when I get distracted or bored.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ahmed.
07-07-2019, 02:34 PM
walaikum assalam rahmatullahi barakatuh

I don't know of any particular sunnah dua however Allah understands every language and you can just say in English 'oh Allah give me good motivation ...'

Also you need wilpower and you need to stick to what you know is good for you. The changing of mind from what you know is good seems like a reckless habit and you need to overcome this recklessness

MazharShafiq
07-07-2019, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peacefulone
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi
Is there any advice for how to help yourself have a strong motivation to stick with your commitments like school/work?
I find myself wavering and always seeking a different avenue in life. I often think whats better out there and how can i improve my situation. So I end up quitting many things before I gave them a good chance of success. I often second guess myself and/or my abilities and think I'm going to fail anyways so why not quit.
What can I do to help with this problem?
I am in school right now at a really nice university and I am working at a really great job that is a big break for me. But ...i worry i will quit one of these things too when I get distracted or bored.
I think you have a lack of stability and consistency.
Consistency is a great characteristic to build and implement in your life. The key to consistency is setting and achieving specific goals. Start by determining how you want to be more consistent in your life, and aim for these small goals. Over time, as you become more consistent, keep yourself motivated and accountable. This may require some change in thinking so that you stay optimistic and productive throughout the process.

Physicist
07-07-2019, 04:32 PM
It seems you already are doing quite well :)
It's good sometime to quit less perspective ways if you feel you can do better.
But as you already are in good position, perhaps you should be more carefull.
And certainly you are, otherwise why is this topic :)

Just keep reminding yourself about benefits of sticking to the way.
If something distresses you and you are eager to quit, cool down and think seriously about that, what alternatives you have and what difficulties you will face if will do so.

When it comes to the boredom try to get deeper understanding of the things you are doing, make it more interesting for you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HisServant
07-08-2019, 02:39 AM
wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatulilah sister,

In addition to some of the good advises already given would like to expand and include some other things:

It seems that a balanced life can assist happiness and stability. Being balanced incorporates various aspects of meaningful relationships, wellness (good mental and physical health), pursuing goals which you feel passionate about/achieving and whilst ideally ensuring that the pleasure of Allah is attained throughout these ventures.

Writing your philosophy in life (which includes mostly Islamic elements ofc) helps. Whenever, things get really tough during studies or becoming impatient to reach the desired place i.e needed motivation, glancing back at a well written philosophy can be quite inspiring.

It will of course require indepth thinking, weighing truest passions against other values and other ventures already taken. Dabbling here and there isn't pointless. Knowledge is certainly connected, like the world and our souls.

So, my best advice for your question is to have some options you feel passionate about, select the one which is most meaningful in terms of both dunya and akhirah then perform Salaatual Istikhara. Or, since you are already in a particular career path, perhaps look into ways that your knowledge and skills can be used in relation to Islamic goals, service to the deen and personal satisfaction.

Also, be careful in terms of fitnah, avoid choosing employment whereby your safety as a Muslimah would be concerning or compromising.

Another important way to stay motivated would be to purposefully reward yourself. After successful completion of a semester or working for a duration of time, do something that would be self-fulfilling and or with increasing the happiness of loved ones. Buy some interesting books, go vacationing to another country, experience a new culture, place etc.

About, what Allah wants for us instead of our self-chosen destination :)

peacefulone
07-08-2019, 03:03 AM
Thank you all.
Those are all great advices.
I think I need to focus on myself and what really makes me happy and pray that Allah shows me a way to build on my skills in way that helps out my islamic goals.
I have a hard time focusing on myself though. I am often always thinking of others before me. Thats comes from being label a black sheep who is always wrong since childhood:(
But as a muslim that thing is irrelevant. I do not really know of any islamically practising family that has that black sheep dynamic. So focusing on deen and using my talents will surely help to fix it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.