/* */

PDA

View Full Version : No 2020 Democrats Will Attend Muslim Caucus Conference

Singularity
07-20-2019, 08:32 PM
https://dailycaller.com/2019/07/19/2...us-conference/

No 2020 Democrats Will Attend Muslim Caucus Conference
MIAMI, FLORIDA - JUNE 27: Democratic presidential candidates (L-R) Marianne Williamson, former Colorado governor John Hickenlooper, former tech executive Andrew Yang, South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg, former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO), and Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) take the stage for the second night of the first Democratic presidential debate on June 27, 2019 in Miami, Florida. A field of 20 Democratic presidential candidates was split into two groups of 10 for the first debate of the 2020 election, taking place over two nights at Knight Concert Hall of the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County, hosted by NBC News, MSNBC, and Telemundo. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

SARAH PRICE
CONTRIBUTOR
July 19, 2019
3:35 PM ET
None of the 2020 Democratic presidential candidates have agreed to attend the first Muslim-American national gathering on July 23rd and 24th, according to the Huffington Post.

Both the Muslim Conference and the Huffington Post reached out to every 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful in regard to the event. Most either did not respond or noted a scheduling conflict.

WASHINGTON, DC – MAY 20: U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) speaks during a congressional Iftar event at the U.S. Capitol May 20, 2019 in Washington, DC. Muslims around the world are observing the holy month with prayers, fasting from dawn to sunset and nightly feasts. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Former Vice President Joe Biden and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio ignored the invitation. Mayor Pete Buttigieg and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro declined.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar said they would send pre-recorded videos. However, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren confirmed that she would participate via live stream, according to the Huffington Post. None of them will be there in person.

The Conference of the Muslim Collective for Equitable Democracy, hosted by the Muslim Caucus, will take place in Washington, D.C. The organization’s website describes its mission as being “On a bold path to cultivate and lift up our grassroots, multi-state affiliate base of changemakers organizing to advance racial and religious equity.”

Many of the event’s organizers are frustrated with the lack of interest and participation from these prominent Democratic figures in what they believe to be a historic moment for the nation’s Muslim community.

“It’s extremely disappointing,” Ghazala Salam, the group’s president, told the Huffington Post. “How is democracy as accessible as everybody is telling me it is when we’re not even getting the attention of the presidential candidates?”

So far this year, Sanders is the only 2020 Democratic presidential candidate who has visited an Islamic center, the Huffington Post reported.

66% of American Muslims identify with the democratic party, making them the “most Democratic-identifying religious group“ in the United States, according to the Pew Research center.

Muslim political involvement is rising nationwide. 2018 saw three new Democratic Muslims elected to Congress, including the first two Muslim women, Democratic Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib and Democratic Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
matthewjg81
07-20-2019, 09:23 PM
Hello!
I have an honest question, maybe someone can help me understand this.

Why is it that Muslims tend to be democrats? The democratic party supports abortion, legalization of drugs, and seeks to advance the LGBTQ agenda. In my opinion, these things seem to be in conflict with Islamic teachings as I understand them. Yet I can think of at least four Muslim democratic politicians and no republicans.

'Abdullah
07-20-2019, 10:43 PM
One possible explanation is more tribal. In the present political environment, Muslims seem to be offered two stark choices: one party that is ever more hostile to them, and one party that affectionately welcomes them.Perhaps Muslims plant their flag in the Democratic Party coalition not because of shared beliefs about LGBT rights (or the ideal top marginal tax rate), but rather due to a shared embrace of a browner, more pluralistic society. You play for the team that wants you, not the team that hates you.

Another possible explanation is that Muslims are able to abide a political coalition with divergent values in ways that conservative white Protestants and Catholics simply cannot. It’s not that Muslims don’t see the disconnect with some parts of the Democratic political platform; they may simply feel little imperative to use government to promote those values. As a minority, they might not expect to make their values normative for everyone.

Thus, it may be tenable for Muslims to embrace traditional attitudes in their own homes and families while still tolerating a permissive society with an expansive view of individual rights and sexual liberation.

I should also point out that Islam is a religion that follows middle path. Muslims follow neither extreme right nor extreme left path but they find a middle path and unfortunately USA has two party system and both represent extreme ideology. For example in case of abortion, Islam teaches that abortion is not permissible but in certain cases such as if mother’s health is in danger than abortion is allowed.

I should also point out that there is small percent of Muslims who do vote for republicans .
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...f-u-s-muslims/

If you ask my opinion, I think Muslims should vote on issues and none of the party should take Muslims vote as guaranteed. What’s your opinion!

CuriousonTruth
07-21-2019, 05:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by matthewjg81
Hello!

Why is it that Muslims tend to be democrats? The democratic party supports abortion, legalization of drugs, and seeks to advance the LGBTQ agenda. In my opinion, these things seem to be in conflict with Islamic teachings as I understand them. Yet I can think of at least four Muslim democratic politicians and no republicans.
Well primary reason is to oppose white nationalists and basically find a safe space for themselves in the opposition, basically self interest.

Secondly, American and Canadian Muslims are the most liberal Muslims in the world. Two of my female cousins there married non-muslim which takes them out of Islam (apostasy) but they call themselves Muslims.

So yeah they have no problem with LGBT (they support LGBT more than white Protestants), abortion (very passionate issue for American Muslim women), weed, etc.

Also large percentage of both Muslim male and female college students drink wine (majority for both), smoke, smoke weed, have sex ,etc.

Source:
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jmmh/10...;view=fulltext

In USA Muslim is no more than an identity label, nothing more. Better not to try to find religion in it.

If you want to know about real Muslims, you can find them in a history book.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abdullah
07-21-2019, 06:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by CuriousonTruth
Well primary reason is to oppose white nationalists and basically find a safe space for themselves in the opposition, basically self interest.

Secondly, American and Canadian Muslims are the most liberal Muslims in the world. Two of my female cousins there married non-muslim which takes them out of Islam (apostasy) but they call themselves Muslims.

So yeah they have no problem with LGBT (they support LGBT more than white Protestants), abortion (very passionate issue for American Muslim women), weed, etc.

Also large percentage of both Muslim male and female college students drink wine (majority for both), smoke, smoke weed, have sex ,etc.

Source:
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jmmh/10...;view=fulltext

In USA Muslim is no more than an identity label, nothing more. Better not to try to find religion in it.

If you want to know about real Muslims, you can find them in a history book.
I agree with the first reason you gave but disagree with second reason. In case of your cousins marriage to non Muslims, you are right but that is very rare and we should not put this label on all American Muslims because of these rare examples.

I am an American Muslim and I know many who practice Islam and have very good understanding of Quran and Hadith.

CuriousonTruth
07-21-2019, 06:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
I agree with the first reason you gave but disagree with second reason. In case of your cousins marriage to non Muslims, you are right but that is very rare and we should not put this label on all American Muslims because of these rare examples.

I am an American Muslim and I know many who practice Islam and have very good understanding of Quran and Hadith.
Not rare at all from what I have been told not only by the parts of my paternal family living in USA but also from muslims living in USA on social media. Even in other muslim forums, you will find threads of "muslim" women living in the West (mostly from USA and Canada) that they prefer marriage with non-muslim men.

I do know by statistics that atleast 20% of Canadian muslim women marry non-muslim.

Anyway, US and Canadian "muslims" represent a very small percentage of muslims. I don't care about them. I even care more about Aztecs (who are extinct) than about them.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by matthewjg81
Hello!

Forgot to add this:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ameri...b02a4ebb76ea3d

52% of muslim Americans are pro-gay.

SintoDinto
07-21-2019, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CuriousonTruth
Not rare at all from what I have been told not only by the parts of my paternal family living in USA but also from muslims living in USA on social media. Even in other muslim forums, you will find threads of "muslim" women living in the West (mostly from USA and Canada) that they prefer marriage with non-muslim men.

I do know by statistics that atleast 20% of Canadian muslim women marry non-muslim.

Anyway, US and Canadian "muslims" represent a very small percentage of muslims. I don't care about them. I even care more about Aztecs (who are extinct) than about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add this:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ameri...b02a4ebb76ea3d

52% of muslim Americans are pro-gay.
well, it is true that many Muslims in the west tend to try to "conform" to appease the angry, Islamophobic masses, or get seduced by the allures of the Western lifestyle, but even if they were practicing, like many I know, and HabiburRehman knows, what do you suggest they do? not vote and allow republicans to make their lives harder?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.